🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Unable to change the country
Page options
tildes
Community Member

Can't change country

I signed up for Upwork while I was travelling but didn't finish my profile. My country is set to Serbia but I now live in the US. Every time I try to access the account settings page to edit location it just redirects me to the "create profile" page. How am I meant to change my country before submitting my profile for review?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size and because the information shared here is now outdated. We appreciate your participation in the Community.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

3,983 REPLIES 3,983

Thank you! Helped me a lot.

alienor-cameron
Community Member

Hi everyone, 

I opened an upwork account a few weeks ago when I was living in the US, but moved to France since then and can't seem to update my location on my profile. There is no option to change it, unlike all the other parts of my profile (i.e. Fee, title, description, qualifications, ...).

Thanks!

Hi Alienor,

We have updated it from our end to France. Feel free to add the rest of the information on your profile. Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thank you!

Unfortunately I have the same problem. I accidentally chose a wrong country my misclicking and now I can't complete my profile. I'd need the country to be changed to Finland.

Hi Mikko,

Feel free to complete your profile now as I`ve updated your country. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
adm-it
Community Member

I have choosen US as I was looking for US companies, but on Create Profile page I am asked for my addres and phone confirmation which confused me and not allowing me to change my country. Please help me. I am from UK. Thanks.

louisaj
Community Member

Hi Denis,

I'm sure if you raise a ticket with Upwork, they will help you straighten things out.

I'm based in the UK, and most of my clients are in the States, so don't worry about being based in the UK. That's the whole point of freelancing, the world is your clientbase. But you need to be honest and say you are based in the UK. Hopefully, Upwork will help you out with this. As it stands, your profile looks bad as you say you are based in the UK and willing to move to the States but your location says States. 

Best wishes,

Louisa

adm-it
Community Member

> > Louisa J.: I'm sure if you raise a ticket with Upwork, they will help you straighten things out.

Do you know how to do that? Can't find anything. Thanks. 🙂

afifield
Community Member

You need to give your accurate information and place you live/work and you can't just say I am going to move there and put US in instead of the UK. You can still bid on US jobs or any others, but for non-US freelancers like ourselves there are some jobs we can't see from the US unfortunately. 

adm-it
Community Member

Thanks Amanda, Thanks Luisa,

I picked up a random US addres with hope I can change it on my profile page. That's why my addres is US.

But I got stuck 🙂

Regards.

petra_r
Community Member

Ultimately you lied. Let's not put too fine a point on it.

But rest assured, you're not the only one who lies about their location and then finds themselves caught in the lie.

adm-it
Community Member

Hi Petra,

>> Ultimately you lied. Let's not put too fine a point on it.

That's your point. Not mine.

My point is to be able to change my country. Could you or somebody else please help me with that.

Thanks.

louisaj
Community Member

Submit a ticket here: **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Denis,

I've updated your country. Please continue completing your profile and make sure that you enter accurate information. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
adm-it
Community Member

Thank you very much Joanne.

It would be nice if we put some info next to that first location field with explanation that the location is user's current location he/she lives and that user still will be able to search clients from other countries. It will decrease the number of posts like that raised on the forum.

Kind Regards.

@Denis P wrote:

Thank you very much Joanne.

It would be nice if we put some info next to that first location field with explanation that the location is user's current location he/she lives and that user still will be able to search clients from other countries. It will decrease the number of posts like that raised on the forum.

Kind Regards.

you can search in any country you want to, nothing prohibits that, except when a job posting is marked as US-only. 

Just a personal note: stay away from offering to move to the US, it is really not that simple, and most people hiring a freelancer will not be interested in sponsoring your move, they want to hire you on hourly basis, not full time. Also, never ever work on a tourist visa when in the US. I would remove that wording immediately, if I were you....

Thanks for the advice Martina.

Hello team,

I'm new to Upwork and I'm trying to complete my personal details but the country is set to Singapore and I have no way to edit it. I was born in Philippines and never been to any country. I found out that the computer I was using has activated VPN. I have used different devices - Laptop, Desktop and Ipad but got no help in changing my country. Could you please edit the country and make it Philippines? I appreciate your help.

Hi Riza,

I`ve just updated your country and you can fill out the rest of your address now, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
aissebos
Community Member

Hello, I am new here and accidentally chose United States as a country, because of that I can not verify my account since my phone number is from another country. Can you help me with that? 

Hi Andreina,

Can you please share the correct country that your account should be set to? Thanks!

~ Joanne
Upwork
shiwanichopra
Community Member

Hi, I am from India and am trying to change the country from USA to India. But am unable to do it. I don't even see the option where I can change it. Could you please help me with this? I am jutting setting up my profile and can't see the Settings icon either. Please help. Thank you

Hi Shiwani,

We've updated your country to India from our end. Thanks!

~ Joanne
Upwork

My country is set to US. I want to change it to Greece but I can't.

Hi Nick,

I`ve updated your country to Greece, if you need any further help let me know. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hey! Thank you for the quick reply. It is still stuck to US on the create profile page. So I cannot confirm my mobile phone and set up my account.

Sorry about the delay, Nick. Could you please check your account again? The country should now be updated and you should be able to proceed with your application to join Upwork..

~ Valeria
Upwork
anna_yancheva
Community Member

Hey all!

As the title says, I'm unable to change my current country of residence and can't complete my profile. Do you know how I can fix this problem?

Thank you so much!

Hi Anna,

Please advise as to which country your account should reflect as your location and we'll update it from our end, thanks!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hey! I’m currently living in Denmark 🙂

Hi Anna,

Your country has been updated to Denmark. Feel free to add the rest of the information on your profile. Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hey Bojan,

I'm unable to change my current country of residence and can't complete my profile.  I want to change my country of Residency from India to Australia. Kindly help me in fixing this issue.

Thank you so much!

Hi Bhawna,

Your country is now updated, feel free to continue with your profile. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you so much Goran !!

adrianodianne07
Community Member

I created my account in the office which is using using us ckmpany vpn. Now I cannot change my location to Philippines and can't finish my profile because of that. Please help

Hi Dianne, 

I've updated your country as requested. You may now continue filling-in your address.

~ Avery
Upwork

Hi there,

I am facing the same issue, by default Country is set to US, can you please change it to Pakistan so that i can complete my profile

thank you,

kind regards

Hi Neoteric,

I just updated your country to Pakistan, if you need further help let me know. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

The same issue is here. Could anyone help me to change the location from USA to China?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths