🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Can't change country
Page options
tildes
Community Member

Can't change country

I signed up for Upwork while I was travelling but didn't finish my profile. My country is set to Serbia but I now live in the US. Every time I try to access the account settings page to edit location it just redirects me to the "create profile" page. How am I meant to change my country before submitting my profile for review?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size and because the information shared here is now outdated. We appreciate your participation in the Community.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

3,983 REPLIES 3,983

Hi there. I'd like to please change my country to Hong Kong. I am based in Hong Kong and I've tried to update it for my application submission but to no avail. Please advise. 

Thanks!

Hi Chermaine,

Your country is updated and you should be able to update the rest of your address, if further help is needed let me know. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran. Unfortunately, I still see the old country name in the greyed out field.

Hi Chermaine,

Please log out and log in again and let me know if your country is not updated, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran. I see it being updated to China. But I am unable to find Hong Kong in the city field selector. Thanks again.

Hi Chermaine,

Please type your address on the Address field and a drop down suggestions will be showed to you, chose one of them and everything else will be auto populated. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran. Unfortunately, none of them is Hong Kong. My address will not be accurate as only Chinese cities show up in the dropdown menu. Hong Kong isn't one of the options.

Hi Chermaine,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket and assist you further with your address.

~ Goran
Upwork
hassan-a-karim
Community Member

I recently signed up for Upwork and while submiiting my applicaion, by default my country is selected as Albania and it is disable for me to update. I want to update it to Oman but I cannot do it . Can you please help me out?

Go to the homepage of Upwork, click on you photo(top-right)>>"Setting" and in the left menu select "Contact Info". Scroll down till you see the header "Location" and click on the pen icon. 

Once you're in the location section, you should be able to change the country.

If that's the section where the Country selector is greyed out, your profile may be pending approval. In which case you'll need to wait until your profile approved before changing the country. I think it normally take anywhere up to 24 hours.

Hi Hassan, 

I have updated your country from Albania to Oman as requested. You should now be able to update your address by going to your Contact Info page (Settings > Contact Info).

~ Avery
Upwork
iuculano
Community Member

I am trying to change country from South Africa to Panama as I am living here buy greyed out. Please assist

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Nicola,

Your country has been updated to Panama. Feel free to add the rest of the information on your profile. Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
caksu
Community Member

By mistake i have selected country united stats but i wanted to register with mine country India.
Can you please help me to update my identification with origin country INDIA

Can you please help me on it

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Caksu,

Your country is set as India, if you need to update any details of your address fell free to do so by going to Settings > Contact Info. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
alexadee17
Community Member

I chose wrong country when registering. Now I am on Profile page and cannot change the location to enter my mobile number. I cannot finish registration, unless the country of residence is not changed.

Please help!

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Aleksandr,

Please advise as to which country your account should reflect as your location and we'll update it from our end, thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hello,

It’s Russia
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Aleksandr,

Your country has been updated to Russia. Feel free to add the rest of the information on your profile. Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
rudi013
Community Member

I need to change my address but for some reason it won't let me change the country, can you please help?
Rudi
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Rudi,

Please confirm to which country you would like to change location on your profile so that we can further assist you, thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
ecombiz_aussie
Community Member

I just signed up with Upwork and for some reason, my default country is set to India and I am not able to change that. I moved from India and based in Sydney now.

Hi Paul, 

The team will reach out to you with more information about your account. 

~ Avery
Upwork
miasullivan
Community Member

I signed up for Upwork while I was travelling but didn't finish my profile. My country is set to USA but I now live in Ukraine. Every time I try to access the account settings page to edit location it just redirects me to the "create profile" page. How am I meant to change my country before submitting my profile for review?

Hi Mia,

Your country has been updated, please also update your address information in your Contact Information settings. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
brettmatthew
Community Member

I started creating my profile while in the UK and then moved to Turkey before I could complete it. Now I can't complete my profile because the country is stuck as UK. How can this be resolved?
Thanks in advance.

Hi Matthew, 

I have updated your country from the UK to Turkey, as requested. You should now be able to update your address accordingly. 

~ Avery
Upwork
minousadeghi
Community Member

Community Guru, please can you update my country from Indonesia (default) to Guatemala? Also if I am moving around quite a bit in the next few months, how can I update the country regularly? Thank youuu!

Hi Minou, 

I have updated your country to Guatemala as requested. 

If you are travelling and are away from your country of residence temporarily,  you don’t need to update your location. If it does raise any flags on our end, the team will reach out to you directly.  If however, you are going to be away for an extended period, such as moving some place, then you should make updates to your account location. Also, it's recommended that you check with a legal adviser if you need a certain type of visa or a work permit to be able to work on Upwork while travelling.

~ Avery
Upwork
aroravagisha
Community Member

I signed up with upwork. Accidently I didn't realise that country was selected as USA.

Now Whenever I log in, It takes me to "Complete Profile Page" where USA is already selected.

I want to chage it INDIA, but option is disabled.

Hi Vagisha, 

The team will follow up with you about your account with more information. 

~ Avery
Upwork
matthew_rissik
Community Member

Hello. 

I have moved residence from Botswana to South Africa and I am unable to update.

Hi Matthew,

Your country has been updated to South Africa. Feel free to add the rest of the information on your profile. Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
vivianli06
Community Member

I can't get to Settings because I don't have a profile created.

When I enter www.upwork.com it redirects me to Create Profile, and I can't get past this profile creation and account verification because I can't change my country from United States to Singapore, and so I can't enter a valid phone number when it asks me for a US phone number. 

Hi Vivian,

We've updated your country to Singapore. You may now proceed with adding your address and completing your profile then submit it for review afterwards. Thanks!

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hello, 

My location settings seem to be stuck in New Zealand where I set up the account. Any time I try to change the country to USA, where I am now, it tells me to fill in the tax information, but I can't update my tax information without first changing my country, please help. Thank you. 

Hi Roan,

Your country has now been updated to the United States. Please add the rest of the information to show your complete address.

Hello,

My country is set to US Virgin Islands, and I need to change it to the United States so I can complete my profile set-up. Thanks!

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Anthony, 

I have updated your country to the United States as requested. Kindly update your address accordingly on your Contact Info (Settings > Contact Info) page. 

~ Avery
Upwork
designer_def
Community Member

Hi, I wasn't so attentive and create a profile with country U.S. and when I noticed that was already late. Also, can't verify the mobile number and can't delete profile...

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths