🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Country can't be change
Page options
tildes
Community Member

Can't change country

I signed up for Upwork while I was travelling but didn't finish my profile. My country is set to Serbia but I now live in the US. Every time I try to access the account settings page to edit location it just redirects me to the "create profile" page. How am I meant to change my country before submitting my profile for review?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size and because the information shared here is now outdated. We appreciate your participation in the Community.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

3,983 REPLIES 3,983

Hi Shamsul Islam,

Your country has been updated to Bangladesh. Feel free to add the rest of the information on your profile. Let us know if you need further assistance. Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

When I created the account I mistakenly selected Austria instead of Australia and now I cannot change it, can you please help?  Thanks. 

Hi Shun,

Your country is now updated, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
k_paclarin
Community Member

Hi Upwork Team,

I can't proceed with the account setup because country can't be changed. It is default to US but I lived in the Philippines. Seeking for your help, please.

Thank you in advance!

Hi Kimberly,

I have updated your country and you can now fill in the rest of your address. Thank you!

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran,

I am facing the same issue. My country is set to UK and I am in India. I am unable to set up my account because of this. I have already created a new account with another email id and would like to have the old one deleted. 

Thank you in advance!

Hi Ragini,

Opening more than one account is a serious violation of our TOS and I would suggest to close your new one. If further help is needed feel free to reach out to me via PM, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran,
I would like to close my account associated with this email id. Kindly help me with the same.
Thank you.

Hi Ragini,

Your account is closed now, thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi Goran! I am having the same issues. Can you help me with that? Thanks!
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Anfernee,

Please confirm which country you are located in, the one you would like to have on your profile so that we can further assist you, thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

I have the same problem my default country is Netherlands, but I live in Russia. How can I change it? 

Thanks in advance!

Hi Gevorg, and Ka Ming, 

The team will reach out to you both with more information about your account and your request. 

~ Avery
Upwork
kaming
Community Member

Hi Bojan, I am having the same issue as I try to setup my new account. Can you change my country from US to China? Thanks.

Hi, I messed up during the registration process when selecting a country. I selected UK, it should've been Poland. I didn't realize I messed up until the page asked for a UK phone number. (I used to work in the UK, but live in Poland at the moment).

Apologies for the mix-up.

I would appreciate if you could change my country to Poland, please.

Sebastian H wrote:

Apologies for the mix-up.

Why do  people keep using euphemisms such as "mix up" and "mistake" and "error" when really they mean "I tried to lie and got caught out!"

Petra R wrote:

Why do  people keep using euphemisms such as "mix up" and "mistake" and "error" when really they mean "I tried to lie and got caught out!"

Or... you could offer me the benefit of the doubt. It's not that strange to have lived in more than one country. I selected UK because I lived and worked and I'm currently interested in UK-centric jobs. Didn't think it mattered all that much before the form asked for a local phone number and an address, which I no longer have. Honest mistakes happen.

Sebastian H wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Or... you could offer me the benefit of the doubt. It's not that strange to have lived in more than one country. I selected UK because I lived and worked and I'm currently interested in UK-centric jobs. Didn't think it mattered all that much before the form asked for a local phone number and an address, which I no longer have. Honest mistakes happen.

Sebastian,  you have a point, because clients can say they come from wherever they wish, but freelancers can't. 

Upwork is client-centric, so however contradictory,  it does not tolerate freelancers saying they live in one place when they live in another.  So, as far as your Upwork account is concerned, just do what they ask. 

As to UK jobs. You will see some jobs offered globally by UK clients, but Upwork has seen fit to implement geoblocking. So some UK jobs will be unavailable to anyone who is not resident in UK. It is a singularly shortsighted move,  but it is how it is.  😞

Hi Sebastian,

Your country has been updated to Poland. Feel free to add the rest of the information on your profile.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thank you, Bojan. Appreciate the help.

Hello moderators,

I am having the same issue. The country is locked at USA, but I currently reside in Vietnam.

Thank you!

Hannah

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Hannah, 

I have updated your country from USA to Vietnam as requested. You should now be able to update your address in the Contact Info page. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Hello,

I have the same issue except I am in the UK. It is defaulted to the US but I live in the UK.

Thank you,

Carly

Hi Carly,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Your country has been updated as requested. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
baaka-houssem
Community Member

Please , I have a problem with my location. I was living in Tunesia and now I ve moved to Germany. Please I want to change it as fast as possible and thank you.

Hi Baaka,

Your country has been updated to Germany. Feel free to add the rest of the information on your profile. Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
064216b8
Community Member

Hello.

I am unable to change my country from Australia to Germany. I am trying to create a Freelancers account.

Can you please assist with this?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Your country is now updated, feel free to continue with your application once you`re ready. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
unbeatableagency
Community Member

Hello, I have a problem, while creating my profile as a freelancer the wrong country was selected (Don't know why) the system chose USA but I'm in México, now I can't continue with my profile creation process because the system is asking me for a US phone for verification, how can I change it to Mexico?

P.S. I can't submit my profile info because I need to enter an address which is in Mexico but the system is not allowing me to change the country, it shows "United States"

Thanks

Hi Claudio,

Your country has been updated to Mexico. Feel free to add the rest of the information on your profile. Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
carolina_delfin
Community Member

Hello, I have the same issue. Even though I can provide an address I will be at later in the US I am currently in Mexico and can't change the country. I dont want this to be a problem  for my payments and accounts, and more so importantly, for taxes purposes. I don't want to even send my profile for review before it can be changed.  Any information or guidance on the matter will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hello Carolina,

I just changed your country to Mexico. If you have more concerns, feel free to post it here so we can help you out. Thank you!

Untitled
nikam-vinay
Community Member

Same haapen with me. I was vacationing in Europe when I signed up but the country selected as US. My country of residence is India. Please help I can't sign in because I don't have a US contact number/

Hi Vinay, 

The team will reach out to you with more information about your account. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Hello, I am also mistakenly picked the wrong country (US), how can I change it to Russia? I am a permanent resident. Many thanks

Hi Andrey,

We have updated the country setting on your account. Please, go ahead and complete the rest of the information. Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hello! I have the same issue. I lived in Slovenia and moved to Serbia and cannot change the country. Could you help me with this?

Kind regards,

Nevena

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Nevena,

Your country has been updated to Serbia. Feel free to add the rest of the information on your profile. Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
helenaferreira
Community Member

Hello

I'm new to UpWork, and I don't know if my account profile was approved or not. Am I able to be accepted for positions? How do I know if I was accepted?

Welcome to Upwork. If you are able to submit proposals, it means you profile is accepted. Also, you should have received an email that your ID has been verified.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths