🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Can't change country
Page options
tildes
Community Member

Can't change country

I signed up for Upwork while I was travelling but didn't finish my profile. My country is set to Serbia but I now live in the US. Every time I try to access the account settings page to edit location it just redirects me to the "create profile" page. How am I meant to change my country before submitting my profile for review?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size and because the information shared here is now outdated. We appreciate your participation in the Community.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

3,983 REPLIES 3,983

Hi Alexandar,

Thanks for your reply.

Albania would be the closest, I guess

Hi Val,

I have updated your country as requested. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
charo30
Community Member

I would like to change my location in my  Up work account as I already moved here in the USA. but Upwork asking for my w8- Ben and I don't have an idea about it.

Hi Charo,

The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. Since you're currently based in the states, then it shouldn't be applicable in this case.

Please check the following link for more info about Form W-8BEN

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063938-Form-W-8BEN

All the best,

Ahmed

⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Charo, 

If you have recently moved to the US, I would recommend that you contact a legal adviser and check if you are legally allowed to work in the U.S. with your visa. 

Just the same, I have updated your country to the U.S., and you should now be able to update your address in your Contact Info page (Settings > Contact Info). 

~ Avery
Upwork
cadaver
Community Member

Hi, my client has contractors on Upwork. I must support him with project management, but I can't get past the Profile page because I can't select the correct country (It's blocked / greyed out). 

I am in South Africa. Can you help? This is urgent because we have a deadline Thursday.

Calayde D wrote:

Hi, my client has contractors on Upwork. I must support him with project management, but I can't get past the Profile page because I can't select the correct country (It's blocked / greyed out). 

I am in South Africa. Can you help? This is urgent because we have a deadline Thursday.

Are you trying to get a freelancer profile approved? That can take some time. 

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Calayde,

Your country is now updated, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
aniramkh
Community Member

Hi All,

I just started with UpWork and because of autofill my country shows as Poland even though currently the country of residence is the US.

Can you please help me?

Thank You in advance,

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Marina,

Your Country was updated to the US. Please add the rest of the information to your profile.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
a_wehmeyer
Community Member

I'm frustrated. I cannot change my country setting 

I'm busy registering and now this is creating the question in my mind is this the place for me.

I need to change to South Africa

Hi Arno,

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank u

Hi! I need to change my country from the US to Vietnam. Please help. Thanks!

Hi Linh,

~ Goran
Upwork
mazuruk-sebo
Community Member

When creating a new profile, the Country field is disabled and I can`t  choose Poland.

Hi Sebastian,

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi ! I can't change my country

Hi Trisha,

Could you please confirm your current location and our team will update it for you, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi! 

I can't change my location either. I'm in the UK.

Thanks!

Hi Hiollie, 

It looks like your country has already been set to UK. Let me know if the issue persists on your end so that I can investigate it further.

~ Avery
Upwork
samtippu
Community Member

I was creating as freencer acoount and mistakenly choose wrong country US I wanted to be Pakistan, so I could finish my profile!! Help

Can you please help? Thnk you
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tippu,

I apologize for the late follow up on your request. Your Country is now updated to Pakistan.

Thank you for reaching gout to us!

~ Bojan
Upwork
samtippu
Community Member

Thank you very much, appreciated!!
arsal_studio
Community Member

I want to correct my country name from UK to Pakistan
edinsahbaz
Community Member

My country is set to US,but I am from Bosnia and Herzegovina and I cann't change it from US to B&H because that textbox is disabled for any kind of input or interaction.

Hi Edin,

Your country has been updated to Bosnia and Herzegovina. You may now proceed with completing the rest of your profile details. Thanks!

~ Joanne
Upwork
marouli93
Community Member

Hello,
My country was preset in UK and I cannot change it (Greece). I cannot also modify the prefix (it’s +44 for UK, but I need to set it in +30 in order to verify my account). Thanks in advance for your help
muneezehak
Community Member

I have moved to America and would like my country to be changed from Pakistan to America, thanks

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Muneezeh,

Your country has been updated to the US. Feel free to add the rest of the information on your profile.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
syelan
Community Member

I have the same problem: I need to change country from Venezuela to Chile but the field is disabled. How can I fix this?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sylvia,

Your Country was updated to Chile. Feel free to add the rest of the information on your profile.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
syelan
Community Member

Thank you Bojan; that worked! But I remain curious: why does that item _have_ to be changed on your side? 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sylvia,

Currently, it's by design that a freelancer can't change their country on the profile creation page. We are planning to address this in the future, however, and provide freelancers with this option.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Sylvia A wrote:

Thank you Bojan; that worked! But I remain curious: why does that item _have_ to be changed on your side? 

Because the majority (not all) of those requests are because people add a wrong country quite delibererately to misrepresent their location. Then they notice that they can't get away with it and have to be honest about where they are located.

It helps Upwork to identify potentially dishonest or fraudulent potential freelancers early on so they can be rejected or removed before they do any harm.

pedroatienzar
Community Member

Hello, my country is set to US, but I live in Spain now. How can I change this in order to update my profile?

Thank you,

Pedro

Hi Pedro,

~ Goran
Upwork
ultimatecare
Community Member

i want to change my country name

Your profile currently states that you are located in the United Kingdom.

Where do you actually live now?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths