🐈
» Forums » Support » Can`t change my country in order to update my...
Page options
tildes
Community Member

Can't change country

I signed up for Upwork while I was travelling but didn't finish my profile. My country is set to Serbia but I now live in the US. Every time I try to access the account settings page to edit location it just redirects me to the "create profile" page. How am I meant to change my country before submitting my profile for review?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size and because the information shared here is now outdated. We appreciate your participation in the Community.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

3,983 REPLIES 3,983

Hi Hussain,

Please, let us know which country would you like to reflect on your account as your location. We’d be happy to update it for you.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
raswhoever
Community Member

I can't also change my country, it says United States, but I want to change to Brazil

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Rafael,

Your Country was updated to Brazil. Please do update the rest of your application form and submit it for the review.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
pargushstd
Community Member

I recently signed up for Upwork and while submiiting my applicaion, by default my country is selected as Us and it is disable for me to update it. I want to update it to Australia but I cannot do it; so I Can`t update my profile and countinue to complete it. Can you please help me out? I don't know where and whom should i contact.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Amir Reza,

Your Country was updated to Australia. Please add the rest of the information to your profile. Please know that your profile has to reflect accurate and truthful information about your location.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
zain_y
Community Member

I can't edit my address , i want to add my country but i couldn't because there is just one country available USA

Hi Zain,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Could you please let me know into which country I should update your profile?

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
astridyarrow
Community Member

Hi, 

I'm having the same issue. I didn't finish setting up my profile and I'd like to change my country to Thailand, because this is where I live. I was confused because for tax purposes I'm a US citizen... anyway, if one of the moderators could change my country that would be great.

Thanks,

Karyna

Hi Karyna,

Your country is updated, if further help is needed let me know. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Having the same problem. Starting creating this account when I was living in Guatemala and now I am back in the States and cannot change it. Can someone help me with this? 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Nami,

Your Country was updated to the US. Feel free to proceed with completing your application form and submit it for the review.

Thank you for reaching out to us!

~ Bojan
Upwork
emiliedorthea
Community Member

I have the same problem where the country bottom is locked and it won't let me change my location from U.S to Denmark

Hi Emilie,

Your Country was updated to Denmark. Thank you for reaching gout to us!

~ Bojan
Upwork
renokun92
Community Member

Hi, I can't change my country from Vietnam to Hong Kong. Can you please help me with it? THanks a lot :S

Hi Khanh,

Your country is now updated, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
cattiet
Community Member

I'm a US citizen, but I'm currently overseas. I was hoping to join Upwork to keep some income flowing. Is this possible since I forgot to verify my number before leaving?

re: "I'm a US citizen, but I'm currently overseas. I was hoping to join Upwork to keep some income flowing. Is this possible since I forgot to verify my number before leaving?"

Upwork's profile pages do not actually identify freelancers based on their citizenship, nationality, or country of origin.

You may ask Upwork Customer Service to help you set your profile location to the city and country where you live right now. Or perhaps a Forum Moderator will help you do that.

If you are asked by Upwork to do some sort of location or identity verification, then you may use your passport or other government-issued identification.

When you return to the United States, then you may contact Upwork Customer Support again and ask them to help you change your location to the United States.

Given the fact that you are not in the United States right now, and you are not actually living in Los Angeles as your profile page claims, your profile page is in violation of Upwork ToS and could lead to an account suspension.

Out of curiosity, what country do you live in now?

Hi Cattie,

If you are currently not in the United States, you can still apply to join Upwork as a freelancer. Location information on your profile has to reflect your actual location, however. Let us know what country you need to have your profile set at and we'll be happy to update it for you. Please, also note that you're responsible for making sure you have the necessary visa type or work permit to work in the country you're currently residing in.

~ Valeria
Upwork
kasatkina_marina
Community Member

Creating my account I accidentally chose a wrong country and saved settings. I need to change it but I can't because it's greyed out. I'm a resident of Russia and now I'm in this country as well, but in my profile it's China. How can I change it?

Hi Marina,

Your country is now updated, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you!!

leila-ahmadi
Community Member

I chose a wrong country by mistake at the time of registration. Now, I need to create my profile and I cannot change the country. Even when I try openning the settings page using other links, it goes straight to my profile creation page. It is problematic, since the next step is phone verification and my country is different. How can I fix that? Thank you.

Hi Leila,

Could you please let us know your current location and our team will update the country on your profile?

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hello Aleksandar,

Thank you for your prompt reply. My current location is Iran.

I just realized that I cannot register with this country (tried with a different device). I think I'll need to ask you for a location change once I go back abroad. If there is any other way, please let me know. Thank you.

Hi Leila,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. Please note that a copy of the ticket will arrive in your email as well from where you can continue the corespondence with our team.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Thank you for your assistance.

Leila A wrote:

Thank you for your assistance.

Unfortunately, due to US sanctions against Iran you can not work on Upwork, which is a US business.

david_garcia-dor
Community Member

I moved to Spain before verifying my account, and now the location shows as USA and I can change it. I would like to set my location to Spain so I can move on with creating my account. Thanks!

David G wrote:

I moved to Spain before verifying my account, and now the location shows as USA and I can change it. I would like to set my location to Spain so I can move on with creating my account. Thanks!

Oh please...

You created your account YESTERDAY and have since "moved to Spain" where you've been studying for years and likely have always lived? It would be so refreshing if one of you people just came right out and admitted that they tried to set their location to USA because it seemed cool and a bright idea and more lucrative, and got caught out by the phone verification thing.

Yes, I proudly live in Spain, but I've been working in the USA for some months, where I created the account.

I just expressed it that way so that it would be easier to understand and straight to the point. You really shouldn't take so many (ridiculous) assumptions that quickly.

David G wrote:

Yes, I proudly live in Spain, but I've been working in the USA for some months, where I created the account.

Yesterday... lol

I like how you even remembered to change your LinkedIn location within 24 hours of moving! Unpacking? Nah. Sleep after a long flight? Nah. Must change location on Upwork and LinkedIn.

petra_r
Community Member

Jennifer M wrote:

I like how you even remembered to change your LinkedIn location within 24 hours of moving! Unpacking? Nah. Sleep after a long flight? Nah. Must change location on Upwork and LinkedIn.

And, of course, on the day he is "moving" from one continent to another, he has nothing better to do than create an Upwork account stating a location he knows fully well he is in the process of leaving within hours...

I would like to apologize if my approach sounded suspicious, but I have written after consulting previous user's questions with what seemed to me similar situations.

A colleague in US adviced me to get an account on Upwork only few days before coming back to Spain. Many issues have to be solved before travelling and I could not complete the account, as I explained before.  I would like to be able to finish my Upwork account by changing into my current ubication (Barcelona, Spain), as I have got stuck in the verification stage. 

Thank you very much for your help. 

David, bad start in the forum!
With such bad luck that Petra and Jennifer have hunted you Smiley LOL

For more explanations you give, there is no apology. Did you do it to make sure your profile was approved? Perhaps a bad idea.
Hopefully this lie does not affect your profile.

richabanga7
Community Member

Hi, I m not able to put my address am from india but in address section US as country automatically displaying. PFA screenshot

Start to write city Name.

Automatic this field open A list of city , After select in it.

Thank you for reaching out to us, Richa.

Your Country was updated to India. Feel free to proceed with completing your application form and submit it for the review.

~ Bojan
Upwork
adrienn_mangan
Community Member

When I created my account I was living in New Zealand but didn't finalize it at the end. Now living in the States and for some reason the system doesn't let me change my address and tax information, it always redirect me to my profile. Can someone help me with it please?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths