cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can I start an account from overseas?

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
1971 of 3,902

Hi Nami,

Your Country was updated to the US. Feel free to proceed with completing your application form and submit it for the review.

Thank you for reaching out to us!

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Emilie H Member Since: Sep 2, 2019
1972 of 3,902

I have the same problem where the country bottom is locked and it won't let me change my location from U.S to Denmark

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
1973 of 3,902

Hi Emilie,

Your Country was updated to Denmark. Thank you for reaching gout to us!

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Khanh N Member Since: Sep 3, 2019
1974 of 3,902

Hi, I can't change my country from Vietnam to Hong Kong. Can you please help me with it? THanks a lot Smiley Frustrated

Highlighted
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
1975 of 3,902

Hi Khanh,

Your country is now updated, thank you.

Untitled
Highlighted
Cattie T Member Since: Sep 3, 2019
1976 of 3,902

I'm a US citizen, but I'm currently overseas. I was hoping to join Upwork to keep some income flowing. Is this possible since I forgot to verify my number before leaving?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
1977 of 3,902

re: "I'm a US citizen, but I'm currently overseas. I was hoping to join Upwork to keep some income flowing. Is this possible since I forgot to verify my number before leaving?"

Upwork's profile pages do not actually identify freelancers based on their citizenship, nationality, or country of origin.

You may ask Upwork Customer Service to help you set your profile location to the city and country where you live right now. Or perhaps a Forum Moderator will help you do that.

If you are asked by Upwork to do some sort of location or identity verification, then you may use your passport or other government-issued identification.

When you return to the United States, then you may contact Upwork Customer Support again and ask them to help you change your location to the United States.

Given the fact that you are not in the United States right now, and you are not actually living in Los Angeles as your profile page claims, your profile page is in violation of Upwork ToS and could lead to an account suspension.

Out of curiosity, what country do you live in now?

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
1978 of 3,902

Hi Cattie,

If you are currently not in the United States, you can still apply to join Upwork as a freelancer. Location information on your profile has to reflect your actual location, however. Let us know what country you need to have your profile set at and we'll be happy to update it for you. Please, also note that you're responsible for making sure you have the necessary visa type or work permit to work in the country you're currently residing in.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Marina K Member Since: Sep 6, 2019
1979 of 3,902

Creating my account I accidentally chose a wrong country and saved settings. I need to change it but I can't because it's greyed out. I'm a resident of Russia and now I'm in this country as well, but in my profile it's China. How can I change it?

Highlighted
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
1980 of 3,902

Hi Marina,

Your country is now updated, thank you.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS