🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Changing Country on Profile
Page options
tildes
Community Member

Can't change country

I signed up for Upwork while I was travelling but didn't finish my profile. My country is set to Serbia but I now live in the US. Every time I try to access the account settings page to edit location it just redirects me to the "create profile" page. How am I meant to change my country before submitting my profile for review?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size and because the information shared here is now outdated. We appreciate your participation in the Community.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

3,983 REPLIES 3,983

Petra, 

Yes, that is my given name. 

Hi Truly,

We have updated your country to Morocco. Please complete the phone verification process and if you need any assistance, please let us know. Thanks!

~ Joanne
Upwork
dylciajordan
Community Member

I am in the United States and I am trying to fill out my contact information and address. The country is showing "Panama" and it won't allow me to change it or input my address as a result. How can I change the country to USA?

Hey Carmen,

Are you originally from Panama/was the account created while you where in Panama? 
If that's the case it may have locked in that location for you, 

I would just reach out to the support staff, via chat, and they'll definitely fix it for you 🙂

Hi Carmen,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Your country has been updated as requested. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Thanks so much!!
noah-randolph
Community Member

on my profile, the Country is locked to the USVI and I can't change it. I do not nor have I ever been to the USVIs

Hi Noah,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Please let us know the name of the country that you would like us to update your profile with.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

USA

Hi Noah,

Your country has been updated to the USA. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
j_jakus
Community Member

Hello, are there alternative forms of double verification aside from the mobile phone code? Currently, I am a US citizen who is studying in Turkey for one year. English is my native language and it feels more appropriate to select "United States" as my country, however I no longer have a stateside mobile phone number (only a Turkish number). How should I navigate this? 

Thank you in advance for your help! 

Julia Jakus

petra_r
Community Member

Julia J wrote:

Currently, I am a US citizen who is studying in Turkey for one year. English is my native language and it feels more appropriate to select "United States" as my country,

Your location must reflect where you are. So it is not "more appropriate" to choose the US because you are not there. It is not a "native language" setting or a "citizenship" setting or a "which country do I like best" setting. It is "location," Your location is not USA.

If you are in Turkey, your location must be set to Turkey.

j_jakus
Community Member

Thanks! That clears it up. My follow up question then would then be: how do I adjust the country? Apologies for so many questions. I am new to the UpWork community. 

Hi Julia,

Could you send me the name of the country that you would like me to update your profile?

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hello, I would like to update my country to Turkey. I am citizen of the
United States, but I moved to Istanbul recently for my Master's degree.

Thank you for your help!

Julia
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Julia, 

I have updated your country from U.S. to Turkey. You should now be able to update your address by going to your Contact Info page (Settings > Contact Info). 

Please don't hesitate to post your questions here (if there are still any). Have a nice day!

~ Avery
Upwork

HI!

Can you update my country to the Philippines as well? I have the same problem as Julia. US citizen, but currently traveling.

Cherry 

Hi Cherry,

Your country is now updated, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Can you please change my country to Russia?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi David, 

I have updated your country to Russia as requested. 

~ Avery
Upwork
imdonaire
Community Member

Hi Avery,

Can you please help me change my country to New Zealand? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

JM

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jose, 

A member of the team will reach out to you with more information about your account. 

~ Avery
Upwork
tairedesign
Community Member

Hi, just setting up my profile but I input my permanent UK address instead of my current location which is India as will be here for a few months organising my wedding. I have an Indian number for security purposes so please can someone help? thanks

Hi Voltaire,

Your country is now updated, once you`re ready feel free to add the rest of your address as well. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
suryavijayan
Community Member

Recently I tried to create an account and now I want to change my location

Hi Surya,

Please, let us know which country would you like to reflect on your account as your location.

We’d be happy to update it for you.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Am from Ernakulam,India

Am from Ernakulam, India. It's showing US and because of this am unable to give my permanent address

Hi Surya, 

A member of the team will reach out to you with more information about your account. 

~ Avery
Upwork

It ll be helpful if they can close my account. Actually I can't do any updation or edit in the information given. It's not having any options other than creating a profile.

Hi Surya, 

I should be able to close your account from my end. Could you please confirm if you would like your account to be closed? As a gente reminder, please know that regardless of an old account being closed, suspended, or the registration was not accepted, a user cannot have more than one account on Upwork. 

On your next reply, kindly confirm if you would like to close your account.

~ Avery
Upwork

Please close my account. Thank you

Your account is now closed as requested, Surya.

~ Avery
Upwork
fabreh
Community Member

Hey I need to change country from UK to Sweden please

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Fabian, 

~ Avery
Upwork
tiberiuma
Community Member

I am at the stage of creating my freelancer profile and the country of my account was automatically set to UK. There is no way to change this given the current situation as all page requests going to account settings are redirected to create profile page (this is something that you should fix). Please change the country of my account to Romania in order for me to complete the create profile process and verify my phone number.

Hi Arva,

I`m sorry about the inconvenience this had caused you and your country is now updated. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
chacha_marwa
Community Member

i am creating my profile and i am in tanzania right now but the default country that has been set is united kingdom and i cant change it to Tanzania can anyone help me please

Hi Marwa,

Your country is now updated, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
2ashishtyagi
Community Member

I'm trying to change my address to location but it ask me to "In order to change your address to the United States, you must first provide your W-9 tax information" even when I provided tax information

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths