🐈
» Forums » Support » Address can't be entered
Page options
tildes
Community Member

Can't change country

I signed up for Upwork while I was travelling but didn't finish my profile. My country is set to Serbia but I now live in the US. Every time I try to access the account settings page to edit location it just redirects me to the "create profile" page. How am I meant to change my country before submitting my profile for review?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size and because the information shared here is now outdated. We appreciate your participation in the Community.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

3,983 REPLIES 3,983

Nigel J wrote:

Will this be a problem? Will this get me banned?

No, but claiming to be in the USA and that not being true will.

Upwork chose United States as my location because the IP address of the computer (EC2 on AWS) to be located in the United States. I am unable to change this when setting up the profile.

re: "Upwork chose United States as my location because the IP address of the computer (EC2 on AWS) to be located in the United States. I am unable to change this when setting up the profile."

Nigel:

You are correct about what happened. This was not your fault.

But you will want to work with Upwork Customer Service or a Forum Moderator to get them to change your location to the country you actually live in. Having the wrong location will cause you problems that you don't want, and can lead to account suspension or the inability to withdraw earnings.

Read this thread:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Can-t-change-country/m-p/461740

Hi Nigel,

Your Country should reflect the one you're physically located in and can verify it. Please, let us know which country would you like to reflect on your account as your location. We’d be happy to update it for you.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

The country I am located in is Grenada.

After you have made the change to my account can I continue to use my virtual machine (EC2) on Amazon's AWS?

re: "After you have made the change to my account can I continue to use my virtual machine (EC2) on Amazon's AWS?"

Yes.

Upwork doesn't care if you are using AWS or EC2.

And Upwork is not the "IP police" or "VPN police."

Upwork requires freelancers to post accurate information on their profile page about their location, but Upwork has no rules preventing users from using VPN, AWS, or EC2.

Hi Nigel,

Your country has been updated to Grenada as per your request. 

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
kassim-warioba
Community Member

Hello Goran,

Similar problem here, I am unable to finish creating building my freelance profile because:
I do not use the UK number anymore and am unable to go back and change countries.

Is it possible to change from UK to Portugal so I can finish the profile please?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best regards,

K. W

Hi Kassim,

Your country has been updated to Portugal. Feel free to add the rest of the information on your profile.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
tine2l
Community Member

My account is not yet approved and I want to change location. How can I change location when my account is not yet approved? I can not  see the settings when I log in to my account. Thank you.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kristine, 

The team will follow up with you through an email with more information about your account. 

~ Avery
Upwork
mohamedkakao
Community Member

Hi there, i am stuck at Create your profile screen and can't change my country that i entered when i was in there i am now in turkey and can't get phone verification code because i am not in the US anymore please help.

Hi Mohamed, 

A member of the Customer Support Team will reach out to you with more information about your concern. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Hi there,

I will be waiting.

Thanks.
ayrenicolas
Community Member

Every time I try to access the account settings page to edit location it just redirects me to the "create profile" page. I moved to Australia from the UK

Hi Nicolas,

Your country has been updated to Australia as requested. You may now continue adding the rest of your profile. Thanks!

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hey there,

I am trying to sign up but I first need to update my country from UK (where I reside) to Malaysia (where I am right now), as I have a Malaysian phone nr. 

Can you please help?

Many thanks,

G

Hi Giulia,

Your country has been updated to Malaysia as requested. You may now continue adding the rest of your profile. Thanks!

~ Joanne
Upwork
257a967b
Community Member

I had started to set up the profile page while I was travelling and now I am unable to change the country on the profile settings page it seems to be greyed out. 

Thanks.

Hi Marilyn,

Could you please confirm your location and our team will update it from our end, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
3bdrl
Community Member

Hi, i am currently located in the philippines and my address entered is my US address. i was trying to register but it needs a US mobile number where the code can be sent in which i dont have. can this be by passed or can you send the code to my philippine mobile number. if not, can you change my location to philippines instead. thank you

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Brian, 

Your Country was updated to the Philippines as per your request.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
0c1ec6ca
Community Member

Hi I want to sign up and changed the country of residence to the Netherlands but it should be Spain. Could you please change this otherwise I can’t finish my profile.
Thanks in advance.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Justna,

Your country has been updated to Spain. Feel free to add the rest of the information on your profile.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
enterpriresource
Community Member

Thank you. I need help with the tax information.

Hi Marlon Yoany,

Please note that your Country should reflect the one you're physically located in and can verify it. Please, let us know which country would you like to reflect on your account as your location. We’d be happy to update it for you.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
nesadidi
Community Member

Hello,

I have moved from the United States to Canada and would like to update my account to enable me add my new address but the country field is locked to United States and is greyed out. How do I change this please to enable me complete my account setup.

Thanks.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Vanessa, 

I have updated your country to Canada as requested. 

~ Avery
Upwork
tamara_sed
Community Member

While creating an Upwork profile, the default country is set to the USA for verifying identity. I want to change it to Armenia and finish the profile creation. Thank you. 

Hi Tamara,

Your country is now updated, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
faenaidu
Community Member

Hi there, stated this account in Vietnam, Hwever I am back at home in South Africa. I can't see a setting icon to change my location.

Please help.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Fae,

Your Country was updated to South Africa as per your request.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
kbhanwra
Community Member

Hi,

I created my UpWork account a long while ago and did not complete the profile creation. Now that I want to use my account, it prompts the Profile Creation page; however, now I am in Canada, but my region still is locked to India, so I am unable to input my present permanent address into the profile page.

Could someone assist me with that? I see that other people have had a similar issue, and they got their issue resolved through these forums.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Karan,

Your Country was updated to Canada as per your request. 

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
anamoreno85
Community Member

Trying to set up my account but on the address page the location is locked as USA, I am actually in the UK, can anyone help.

Your Country was updated as per your request, Ana!

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
gallejennifer
Community Member

I started creating my account while I was in the united states, but have since moved to the UK. The US location seems to be locked even though I am no longer logging in from that country.

Hello! I'm having the same issue I was living in the United States when I started my upwork account but now am living in Mexico and now it is locked, how can I change the country? Any help is appreciated.

Hi Santiago,

Your country has been updated to Mexico. Feel free to add the rest of the information on your profile.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi Bojan,

Same issue here, but I think it's because something in your system wiped all my user data. I get forced on to the account creation page when I log in, and cannot provide new intormation because the country is locked to US. I am in the UK.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths