🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: Country Change
Page options
tildes
Community Member

Can't change country

I signed up for Upwork while I was travelling but didn't finish my profile. My country is set to Serbia but I now live in the US. Every time I try to access the account settings page to edit location it just redirects me to the "create profile" page. How am I meant to change my country before submitting my profile for review?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size and because the information shared here is now outdated. We appreciate your participation in the Community.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

3,983 REPLIES 3,983

Hi Daniel,

I'll share your concern with the team and they'll update you directly with more information.

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork
margaritav28
Community Member

I can't change the country from Italy to Austria.
I look at the comments and it seems that website admins do it by themselves only.
Can you just add such a function?

Hi Margarita,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Your Country was updated to Austria, feel free to add the rest of the information on your profile.

~ Bojan
Upwork
emmaday1978
Community Member

Hi, I'm trying to complete my profile but for some reason it has defaulted my location to UK. I do not have a UK phone number so I cannot verify my account. I have just spent some time completing all the details on my profile and will lose everything unless I can verify with my actual phone number which is in Spain. Hope you can help Thanks Emma

Hi Emma,

Your Country was updated to Spain as per your request.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
ukicheng
Community Member

Hi I am trying to set up my profile, but I can't change my country setting from the UK to Canada. Can anyone help please? 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Uki,

Your country has been updated to Canada. Feel free to add the rest of the information on your profile.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
wickyaboma
Community Member

Hello, On signing Ul, my location is default to Angola and wont change. How can I get help on this one?
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Wicklife,

Please, let us know which country would you like to reflect on your account as your location. We’d be happy to update it for you.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
somanous
Community Member

So I am in New York for now. If I register with my permanent cocuntry, I will not be able to take jobs from this area? I will come and go a lot between the US and Hungary. I don't see the point in specifying a single location and phone number if the point of the site is to work online and location free. So now I can either keep my location as US and provide my girlfriend's phone number or ask you to switch my location to Hungary and lose out on jobs. Which one is the better way to go?

Soma, you can download free app on your smartphone such as TextNow which gives you a virtual US phone number. You can make phone calls and send/receive text messages with no issues.

When I was living in the US that was the app I used.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Soma, 

Could you please confirm if you are currently travelling in the United States? On Upwork, the address and country of your account should be your permanent residence. In this case, if you are permanently residing in Hungary, your address should reflect that. If you are travelling and are away from your country of residence temporarily, you don’t need to update your location. If it does raise any flags on our end, the team will reach out to you directly.

If however, you are going to be away for an extended period, such as moving someplace, then you should make updates to your account location. Also, it's recommended that you check with a legal adviser if you need a certain type of visa or a work permit to be able to work on Upwork while travelling. 

~ Avery
Upwork
somanous
Community Member

Yes, I am only travelling in the US. My permanent address is in Hungary. So in that case, my country should be the latter on my profile, right? If so, can you set it please? Also, would I need a work visa if I were to work online from the States? That again defeats the purpose of location-free online work. Thanks for your assistance!

Hi Soma,

Thanks for following up. We won't be able to advise you regarding your visa type and a permit to work in the US. You may want to discuss that with a legal adviser. Generally, the location on the freelancer's profile needs to reflect the user's actual physical location.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Can you set my country to Hungary then please?
ochernyuk
Community Member

I would like to change the country in my profile in order to proceed with creation of a profile before submitting as I when I first wanted to create a profile I was in the UK, but now I am in Ukraine. And it doesn't allow me to proceed as the address cannot be filled out correctly. Would you please assist me with this or change it for me as I do not have this option. Thank you!

Best regards

Hi Oleh and Purnima,

Your country setting has been updated as you requested. Please, go ahead and complete the rest of your profiles before submitting them for a review. 

~ Valeria
Upwork
saranyamenon
Community Member

I have the same issue. I signed up for Upwork in India and I am not able to update it to Canada before I complete my profile. Kindly help me out.

Hi Saranya,

Your country has been updated to Canada as requested. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
99e992a4
Community Member

Spoiler
I'm trying to set up an account as a freelancer, but my country is defaulting to the UK, even though I'm based in New Zealand. As a result, it needs a UK mobile number to verify the account, and I can't provide one. I can't see any way to change my country in the profile either - in the address page it's greyed out - help?
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ruaridh, 

I have updated your country from UK to New Zealand as requested. 

~ Avery
Upwork
tom_wait
Community Member

I made a mistake while editing my profile . My country is set to United states but, i am in Russia. Every time I try to access the account settings page to edit location it just redirects me to the "create profile" page. How can i change my ountry before verifying my account?

Hi Gleb, Safura, and Yasser,

Your countries have already been updated to the requested ones. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Thank you! Solved 🙂 

Please change my country to USA

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi D, 

A member of the team will reach out to you with more information about your account. 

~ Avery
Upwork
somanous
Community Member

Hi I'm still waiting for my country to be changed from the US to Hungary. I'd appreciate if you could help me with it since I'm eager to start here. Thanks!

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Soma, 

I'm sorry if we missed seeing your follow up post. I have updated your country from the U.S. to Hungary. 

~ Avery
Upwork
metakevin
Community Member

Need help changing my country to US

Hi Kevin,

Sure thing! Your country setting has been updated. Please, go ahead and update the rest of your address. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi, my country is set to USA but I live in UAE. Now I’m not able to create a profile and go through with next steps. Can someone help me out please?

Hi Rahul,

Your country has been updated to UAE. You may now continue adding the rest of your profile details. Thanks!

~ Joanne
Upwork
rahulp66
Community Member

Thank you Joanne!
eepsita
Community Member

Folks, I'd begin setting up my account while in the States. I'm now in India, but it seems like I can't get through without getting a confirmation code on my US phone. Could I please request you to update my country of residence to India? 

Thanks!

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Eepsita, 

I have updated your country to India as requested. 

~ Avery
Upwork
entredevelopers
Community Member

I am currently trying to create a profile on the site and am facing some issues. On the 9th step of profile creation, I am asked to specify my location, and the country is locked on the US, without me having mentioned anything about having lived in the US. I'd love to get some help with the issue. Currently, I'm in Romania.

Kindly disseminated,

Zoltan.

Hi Zoltan,

Your country is now updated, feel free to update the rest of your address once you`re ready. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
gemma_falconer
Community Member

I'm trying to finalize my account set-up. I entered 'United Kingdom' as my country as I'm English, but I'm actually living in Brazil. I need to change this so I can confirm my address and continue with my account set-up.

Hi Gemma,

Your country has been updated to Brazil. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
5e189b29
Community Member

Could you please help me change the address on my profile? I would like to post my profile but it is the wrong address.

Thank you.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths