🐈
» Forums » Support » Re: How to change the country
Page options
tildes
Community Member

Can't change country

I signed up for Upwork while I was travelling but didn't finish my profile. My country is set to Serbia but I now live in the US. Every time I try to access the account settings page to edit location it just redirects me to the "create profile" page. How am I meant to change my country before submitting my profile for review?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size and because the information shared here is now outdated. We appreciate your participation in the Community.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

3,983 REPLIES 3,983

Hi Aaron,

Your country has been updated to Philippines. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
danielpopauk
Community Member

Hi there, i have an issue with my location.
I created my account and wanted to submit it but have noticed that my location is set to Moldova due to traveling at the moment.
I need to change it to UK but it doesn't allow me to do it.
Can you please help me.
Thanks
Dan

Daniel P wrote:
Hi there, i have an issue with my location.
I created my account and wanted to submit it but have noticed that my location is set to Moldova due to traveling at the moment.

So you are in Moldova? Then that is what your profile needs to say.

Daniel P wrote:
I need to change it to UK but it doesn't allow me to do it.

Not if you are in Moldova. If you are in Moldova, all is as it should be.

Hi Daniel,

I shared your concern with the rest of our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi Aleksandar,

Thanks for this
Regards
Dan

I need it to be UK because that's where i have residency and pay taxes.

Thanks
Dan

Daniel P wrote:
I need it to be UK because that's where i have residency and pay taxes.

It needs to be where you are located for any length of time. You will likely run into problems verifying your profile if you set your location to the UK when you are not there. Run with where you are for now and change it when you are actually and physically back in the UK.

Hi Aleksandar,

Its been a day already and no one from your team created a ticket or reached to me.

How long this usually takes?

Thanks
Dan

Hi Daniel,

I`m sorry about the delay. Just to clarify, are you currently located in the UK or you would like the country to be updated due to your taxes? 
Please keep in mind that your profile location needs to reflect your current location. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Goran V wrote:

I`m sorry about the delay. Just to clarify, are you currently located in the UK or you would like the country to be updated due to your taxes? 

He's a citizen of Moldova and currently located in Moldova... 

Currently I'm not located in UK as I'm traveling but yes due to taxes i need country to be updated. As i don't have any physical address here.

Hi Daniel,

As I`ve mentioned before your location on your profile needs to reflect your current location. Feel free to add the address where you`re staying at the moment. Once you`re back in the UK you can follow up here and our team will update your country. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
434e20e7
Community Member

Hi! Can I ask your help to change my location from Australia to Philippines? I did a mistake when signing up. I thought I could change it in the end of the sign up. It turns out it’s been a default even before I signed up. Thank you so much in advance.

Hi Laniedhel,

Your country has been changed to Philippines. You may now continue to add the rest of your profile details. Thank you. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
cfa9dc62
Community Member

I am from Lebanon but it is written as UK

Hi Bisher,

Your country is updated as well, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
luminitapanuta
Community Member

Hi, I'm new here and I'm working on my profile, I cannot input an address other than one in the USA. I would like my country to be Portugal, where I am located. Please advise.

Hi Luminita,

Your country is now updated, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks

Hi, I am located in the USA, but I started my profile when I was in another country. I never finished my profile because I found a fulltime job in that period. Now I am available for freelance again, but I can't change my country.

Hi Vesna,

Your country has been updated to USA. Thanks!

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi,

Now, the country is good, USA, but the phone number still starts with +381 instead of +1, so I can't verify my account.

Hi Vesna,

Could you please clear your cache and cookies or log in with another browser to check if you`re still experiencing the same issue? Let us know if the issue persists. Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi Bojan,

Unfortunately, I can't change the country code in phone number. I tried everything you said but without luck.

Hi Vesna,

Thanks for following up. One of our team members already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
amira2021
Community Member

Hi, I'm a new member. I chose United States where I'm staying. But right now I'm in Egypt and my American phone number is not active. How can I change the country to add my egyptian phone number and receive the message to verify my account

Hi Amira,

I shared your concern with the rest of our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

i made a mistake registering as a freelancer, my country is set as usa and i would like to change it back to nigeria..thanks

Hi Egeonu,

Your country is now updated, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
jorgepayan
Community Member

When entering my info for the first time, I was using a VPN with an IP located in USA. When in the last step I try to change it to Colombia (yes, I am logging from Colombia, which is my real location) the form blocks the country as to "United States", so I simply cannot modify the country of my location. Please advise.

0572e0e6
Community Member

I live in US. but I recently traveled to the Philippines before corona virus. I can’t change my country at all. It should be USA. Can someone help me?

Hi Brecken,

Are you staying there for a longer period of time? If yes, then your address will need to be your current location. If you`re staying there for a short period of time, let me know and our team will update your country. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
braid-cameron
Community Member

I am trying to setup my profile. When i arrive at location my only option is the USA, i need to select another country however it will not let me. What do i do?

Hi Cameron,

Could you please confirm where you are currently located so I can assist you? Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

Colombia, but my tax residency is Australia

Hi Cameron,

Thanks for confirming your location. As requested, your country has been updated to Colombia. 

Regarding your taxes, I recommend that you speak with a local tax advisor so that you can be guided accordingly. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Thanks, i don't have a local tax advisor, as i am not a tax resident in
Colombia, what is upwork's process for this? I spend most of my time in
Australia but as at the time of making a profile i happen to be in
Colombia.

Cameron B wrote:
I spend most of my time in
Australia but as at the time of making a profile i happen to be in
Colombia.

Your profile location must match your current physica location.

When you get back to Australia, you can change your profile location back to Australia also.

kashisha15
Community Member

Hi. I am new to Upwork. As I was creating my profile, I accidentally put in the country in which I was present before but now I live in a different country and it is not giving me the option to change the country and I don't have any tax information as I am not earning and also new to freelancing. Please help!

Hi Kashish,

Could you please confirm where you are currently located so I can assist you? Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths