🐈
» Forums » Support » Can't change country
Page options
tildes
Community Member

Can't change country

I signed up for Upwork while I was travelling but didn't finish my profile. My country is set to Serbia but I now live in the US. Every time I try to access the account settings page to edit location it just redirects me to the "create profile" page. How am I meant to change my country before submitting my profile for review?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size and because the information shared here is now outdated. We appreciate your participation in the Community.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

3,983 REPLIES 3,983

Hi Bhavesh,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Your country has been updated to India. Feel free to add the rest of the information on your profile. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
ortegaleo
Community Member

Hello Upwork community.

I am in the process of creating my Upwork account. I am from the United States but am living in Germany at the moment. When creating my account, I set my location to the USA but I am now in the page where I need to recieve a verification code sent to a US phone number (as I am currently living in Germany, I do not have a US phone number) There seems to be no simple way for me to change my country to Germany as the location is already locked to the USA, and I can't seem to go back and change the country as well. Is there anything I can do?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Leo, 

I have updated your country to Germany. You should now be able to update your address in your Settings page. 

~ Avery
Upwork
cello700
Community Member

I have wanted to change my country since November 8, 2016.  I am an American. Smiley Sad

Spoiler

edrosakis
Community Member

Hi. I'm creating my profile and for some reason my country is set to Indonesia and can't be changed. I need to change it to Sweden. 

Hi Elizabete,

Your country is now updated, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
resquechick
Community Member

Why can't I change country?  I am currently in Russia and it wont let me do anything. It choose US and I have no idea how to fix it.Thank you

Hi Oksana, 

Your country has been changed from US to Russia. Please feel free to update your address. Let me know if you need anything else. 

~ Riri
wxd34dillyboy
Community Member

Trying to create my portfolio, but my country is set at Denmark. I live in Belize. What should I do?

Hi Robert,

Your country has been changed. Please update your address. Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks!

~ Riri
rosser94
Community Member

I accidentally chose my home country instead of the country I'm living in. Now I need to change my country to China but I can't because it takes me to the Create Profile page. Can anyone help?

Hi Jack,

Your country has been changed to China. Please update your address accordingly. Thank you!

~ Riri
lisa-mcneill
Community Member

I am unable to amend my country, it has defaulted to United Arab Emirates but I am in the UK. Please can you help me?

Hi Lisa, 

Your country has been now changed from UAE to UK. You can update your address. Thank you! Let me know if you need anything else. 

~ Riri

Hi, I also have the same problem - can't change the country from croatia to UAE. Please help.

Hi Anamarija, 

Your country has been now changed from Croatia to UAE. You can update your address. Thank you! Let me know if you need anything else.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
koell_lukas
Community Member

Hello, I am just getting started with upwork and would like to set my profile address to Austria. Unfortunately, the country field on my profile page is disabled and locked to Germany.

Thanks for your help

Lukas

Hi Lukas,

~ Goran
Upwork
mcpdy
Community Member

During registering upwork the system forces me to confirm my phone number and upon key in my number the counrty code that appears is of united kindom and am from kenya this has actually delayed my progress kindly help 

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Antony,

~ Goran
Upwork
mikejoyceio
Community Member

I'm located in New Zealand, but my location is set to the United States on the Create Profile page.

Hi Mike,

~ Goran
Upwork
pranutan
Community Member

I recently signed up for Upwork and while submitting my application, by default my country is selected as Albania and it is disable for me to update. I want to update it to India but I cannot do it so I just have to submit the application. Can you please help me out? I

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Nutan, 

I have updated your country as requested. You should now be able to update your address by going to your settings page, and updating your address in your Contact Info page.

~ Avery
Upwork

Hi Avery,

I am also encountering the same issue.  It is not allowing me update the country I am currently located in.  Would you be able to assist me as well?  I started the account when I was in the US, but I am currently traveling in Thailand.  Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Susan

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Susan, 

The team will reach out to you with more information about your account. 

~ Avery
Upwork
skharris1
Community Member

I started my profile in the US, but never completed registration.  I now live in Thailand and cannot change the country (or my phone number) to complete registration.  How do I fix this?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Serena, 

The team will reach out to you through an email with more information about your account. 

~ Avery
Upwork
j_lezada
Community Member

Hi. I need to change the country to South Korea in my profile but I couldn't do it manually. Please help. Thank you in advance.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jennifer, 

The team will reach out to you with more information about your account. 

~ Avery
Upwork
j_lezada
Community Member

Thank you
stillsusan
Community Member

Hello,
I am an US citizen, and authorized to work in the US. As a result, I have set my profile with the permanent address. I am trying complete creating a profile and it is requesting to send a verification to a US Country code; however, I am currently in SE Asia and need the verification code sent to another phone. I have updated my account with the correct phone number, but on create a profile it is not allowing me change the country code. Does anyone know how I would be able to do this?

Susan S wrote:

Hello,
I am an US citizen, and authorized to work in the US. As a result, I have set my profile with the permanent address.

The location refers to where you are actually currently located (hence the term "locatation" rather than "citizenship") How would you hope to verify your location to be somewhere where you are not located?

If you live in SE Asia, that is what your profile has to reflect. So you need to change your location to the county where you actually are, then the issue with the phone number resolves itself.

vitaliiku
Community Member

Hi I cant finish creating account as freelancer as Country defined wrongly and I cannot enter correct mobile number for verification sms recieve. Please help. 

Hi Vitalii,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Please advise as to which country your account should reflect as your location and we'll update it from our end?

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Ukraine

Hi Vitalii,

I have updated your country as requested. You should now be able to update your address by going to your settings page and updating your address in your Contact Info page.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
asianlime
Community Member

I started signing up for while I was living in the U.K., although now I am in the U.S. The country box is greyed out, and I am unable to edit or verify a phone number since I don't have a U.K. phone, please help. 

Hi Emma,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via support ticket to assist you with your location issue.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
paulmerriman
Community Member

I have moved from the UK to Australia and I can't change my location to Australia. Please can somebody help me with this?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths