🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Can't find myself in search
Page options
pgiambalvo
Community Member

Can't find myself in search

No matter what filters I use or not, I do not show up when searching for writers. If I can't find myself when trying very hard to, then neither can clients. No wonder my profile views have dropped dramatically and my invites to none. What is up and when will it be fixed?

76 REPLIES 76
django_expert
Community Member

every single person is facing the same issue. My invites also dropped to 0.

srinivas794
Community Member

@Upwork, can you confirm with us that this issue is already worked upon? And could you give us a timeline on when this issue will be fixed? Also, a link to the bug ticket etc would be helpful

Hi Srinivas,

Thank you for your message. I checked your profile and I was able to find your profile in the search results using one of the skills listed on your profile. You can refer to this screenshot here. Results vary depending on the type of profile used to conduct the search, since a number of factors are taken into account. Clients may get different search results for the same keywords and filters than freelancers using the same parameters. In addition, freelancer profiles are regularly rotated in search results in order to give everybody a fair chance at being discovered by clients.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Hi Pradeep,

Thanks for your response. On which page did you find the search results at the moment?

Hi Srinivas,

Thank you for your follow up message. Your search ranking may vary since the number of factors are taken into account but I assure you that the search feature is working as designed. 

Thank you,

Pradeep 

Upwork

Then why have our invites droped to zero? What changed in search to make that happen? It's not just a coincidence.

Hi everyone, what should I do to make my profile visible again in search bar, it has been 3 months now it's in private... I wrote couple of messages to Upwork but it seems like they are ignoring my request... What should I do to finish this problem?.

By Mwamba B

Try to get some Contract by Submitting Proposal using upwork search and In the mean time contact upwork support 

Thanks for the advise...that's what I'm trying to do but I've emailed UW support many times nothing good came up

Hi Mwamba,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked your profile and it looks like the visibility is now set to public. I've also shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork

This is frustrating as hell. I noticed a significant drop in job invitations not too long ago. When I reached out to support I didn't get much help and decided to investigate myself. I created a client account on Upwork and searched for Usman Talib. The first weird thing my profile is not showing in the list. Why I think that's weird is because I have 100% JJS, $80k+ earned, a ton of great reviews, and a Top Rated badge. By any reasonable logic, a profile like this should be at least on the first page, if not in the first place. I got daily 4 to 5 invitations before 3 months but now I'm not getting any invites. Screenshots attached.

Yes, this is a huge problem many of us are complaining about. Just search for "search" in the threads and you'll see. Upwork claims it's not broken but it definitely is. Many of us have seen our invites drop to zero since they changed the way search works a couple of months ago.

You can't expect to be in first place when there are tens of thousands of other freelancers in your category, and freelancers are rotated in search results. 

Any explanation or thoughts on why my and many others' invites amd profile views have dropped to almost zero from dozens per week since they changed the way search works a couple of months ago? Invites just suddenly stopping after getting tons of them for years is not just a coincidence or due to natural fluctuations in the marketplace. Yes, they go up and down, but disappear? No.

Yes, they did go up and down before but never totally disappeared.  This is why I am really worried at the moment.

I'm surprised. You were getting 4-5 invitations a day.
In 5 years of working with Upwork, I received a total of 10 invitations.
I can imagine how hard it is for you right now.

After learning that some freelancers were getting so many offers a day.
I feel encouraged.

Pradeep, as others have requested, please address this problem. Specifically, why  "Clients may get different search results for the same keywords and filters than freelancers using the same parameters. "

Upwork has some of the most bizarre, purposely designed evasive programs, including this statement. What possible reason would you design the search engine differently for clients and freelancers? Upwork is spending time being evasive and confusing on purpose. In case you are unaware, the freelancers have been begging and pleading for help with serious problems, and yet Upwork spends time and money creating two search engines? This is beyond absurd.

I have no problem now finding myself in the search, under my name and several of my skills. However, this announcement explains why I still have people contacting me outside of Upwork because they couldn't find my name anywhere on the platform. That's money that could have given Upwork their cut.

So, the search engine/program the freelancers see is just another way Upwork is determined to mess with the freelancers? You have a number of freelancers that are losing money (that means Upwork, too).

Does anyone never think we might use the search engine to find other freelancers? Without having to wipe your computer and return as a client? And why deceive the freelancers into thinking their profile will appear in ways it will not? And again, Upwork has plenty of problems that need to be solved right now. Stop wasting time, money, and the freelancer's ability to work on some idea someone had to placate freelancers while purposely deceiving them.

Good saying

Exactly! And we want a confirmation from Upwork that acknowledges that the algorithm was changed a couple of months back. And we would like to know the reasoning behind such a change and how it impacts clients/freelancers if such a decision was made consciously.

But, my gut feeling says that this cannot be a conscious business decision and is instead a software/search bug that may have gone unnoticed by the developers/QA team at Upwork. Is there a way a developer or QA from the Upwork team can take a look at this thread?

Pradeep, please do not ignore me. Please respond. I sincerely want to figure out what is going on and why there are two different programs for our listings.

It's probably based on client spend/or if they are enterprise. I sure hope their search results are better than what we see as freelancers.

It would be nice to simulate what clients search's yield... Because if results are what they suppose to be on client version search (no fakes, higher earnings rank higher than lower earnings, etc), then I could care less what freelancer's searching for other freelancers results are.

Jeanne and others,

Please, see my comment here, as well as the one I linked in that response. I'd like to reiterate that no changes have been made to search in that regard and there aren't two different ways for how profiles are displayed.. 

Valeria K. wrote:

A few things I'd like to note:

• As long as a profile isn't set to private by its owner, it will be discoverable in search.
  • Various factors go into search results, and results may differ over time, in part to allow more freelancers a chance to be discovered. Some considerations may include Freelancer skills, experience, and platform ratings, as well as other elements geared towards determining a potential match for the client’s job. There are no immediate plans to change that.
  • The general marketplace dynamics vary over time and so can the number of invites freelancers receive.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria K wrote:

Jeanne and others,

Please, see my comment here, as well as the one I linked in that response. I'd like to reiterate that no changes have been made to search in that regard and there aren't two different ways for how profiles are displayed.. 

Valeria K. wrote:

A few things I'd like to note:

• As long as a profile isn't set to private by its owner, it will be discoverable in search.
  • Various factors go into search results, and results may differ over time, in part to allow more freelancers a chance to be discovered. Some considerations may include Freelancer skills, experience, and platform ratings, as well as other elements geared towards determining a potential match for the client’s job. There are no immediate plans to change that.
  • The general marketplace dynamics vary over time and so can the number of invites freelancers receive.

Valeria, you are not answering my question, nor did Pradeep. Why are there two different search engine programs? If it is not to deliberately fool the freelancer, then please explain the reasoning. I don't think that is too much to ask for, considering freelancers live by people finding them.

Additionally, if we want to create a network or look for other freelancers, we must shut down the computer and wipe it before entering it again as a client. Are you using IP addresses to determine who is a client and who isn't? I erased every tracker and cookie but still ended up with the "freelance" list. You must create an account to see where you are listed and under what category.

I see no advantage to the two-tier program other than to deceive freelancers. Prove me wrong - what is the purpose of two separate and not equal searches? PLEASE, stop sending generic messages that do not address the situation. This latest discovery by freelancers is damaging to our livelihood - and, therefore, Upwork.

Again, I have one question, and please, please, stop ignoring that one question. Why are there two separate and unequal search engine programs?

She probably doesn't know all the details, you know how it goes.

It's pretty clear to me at this point that this forum is a waste of time for serious issues.

Either the moderators and managers here lack real access to information and the autonomy to provide honest answers, or they are trained to be evasive at all times. Probably a little of both.

For a company that relies on freelancers to exist, I just wish some of the higher-ups could chime in once in a while and simply listen. 

Ha, why would they? Executives make millions in compensation, paid vacations, and if things go bad, they just dump their shares and buy them back at a even lower price they originally were granted by company options. Although I'd love for Upwork to remain #1 forever, but then reality kicks in. It's actually people like Valeria that is doing the real work... I'm guessing her hands are tied, you know how it is. Heck if I was getting paid millions in compensation, I'd be out by the beach outside one of my beach houses and just email my employees. In other words, I'd lost the hunger to work hard.

That is not always the case. I used to use a 3D software package that was one of the most successful in its niche a few years ago, and I would frequently chat with the CEO of the company on their forums.

It's all about choices. Some people choose to run their businesses in a transparent manner, while others do not.

I believe in user-centered design: The more you listen to your customers, the more likely you are to build a successful product in the long run.

That's why Amazon is so successful. If you ever listen to Jeff Bezos' interviews he's always saying "customer-centric" is the underlying philosophy. In the early days I'm sure he would be like that CEO replying to every email. Unfortunately, just like the ridiculous salary we pay toward football coaches (before winning any games), execs are oftentimes finding themselves in "oh my gosh I have so much money, let me live my life for once" - not all, but most in my experience. So in my opinion, we are part of the problem, we as a society have allowed the football coaches and execs to have such a high compensation without proving themselves. 

If a moderator makes a statement, they should be able to explain it or tell the freelancers where to get more information. If one moderator cannot explain, another moderator should do so or elevate the problem to a more senior associate who can answer the question. Upwork is infamous for deciding to improve things with no input from the clients or freelancers. Forcing freelancers to try and connect with clients using two separate and unequal search parameters and listings under who knows what keywords is directly detrimental to freelancers, clients, and the money coming from contracts. So, when the moderator says, "Oh, I found you the search engine.", what search engine are they using? This matter must be resolved. It is one of the primary reasons clients can't connect with freelancers.

Jeanne and others,

I would like to clarify that there are NOT two separate systems for talent search available to clients and freelancers. Below you can find screenshots of search results I see when viewing talent search from the freelancer context of my account versus the results I see from the client context of my account. They are identical.
However, as both Pradeep and I stated a number of factors go into search. For example, if I were searching talent for a job I posted using my client account, the parameters of that job would be taken into consideration along with other elements.

Freelancer context

kochubei_valeria_0-1660245990628.png

Client context

kochubei_valeria_1-1660245990569.png

~ Valeria
Upwork

The Upwork moderator apparently wasn't supposed to tell us there were two different searches. Too late, he already informed us. I have checked, and the results are different. I know what I see in front of my face.

Jeanne, 

Could you please share a screenshot of different results you see? Feel free to send me the details in a private message with more information about the account you're using to check as well. I tried but haven't been able to replicate the behavior you're describing. 

I'd like to reiterate again that there aren't two different search engines for talent search. You can even check the URL when accessing talent search from either freelancer or client account. It's the same URL.  

~ Valeria
Upwork

I will do that.

I see, so Pradeep wasn't supposed to tell us there were two different searches?

Pradeep wrote:

"Thank you for your message. I searched your profile and I was able to find your profile in the search results using one of the skills listed on your profile. You can refer to this screenshot here. Results vary depending on the type of profile used to conduct the search, since a number of factors are taken into account. Clients may get different search results for the same keywords and filters than freelancers using the same parameters. In addition, freelancer profiles are regularly rotated in search results in order to give everybody a fair chance of being discovered by clients."

This is my livelihood and the livelihood of every freelancer. Since I am getting nowhere, begging and pleading - I demand an explanation! I have tested the system, and you do get radically different results depending on if you are logged in as a freelancer or a client. This is real, do not tell me I am wrong. 

Stop sending generic messages and address the problem. If Upwork couldn't find your name to give you a paycheck, you wouldn't put up with it, and neither are we.

PradeepH

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your message. I searched your profile and I was able to find your profile in the search results using one of the skills listed on your profile. You can refer to this screenshot here. Results vary depending on the type of profile used to conduct the search, since a number of factors are taken into account. Clients may get different search results for the same keywords and filters than freelancers using the same parameters. In addition, freelancer profiles are regularly rotated in search results in order to give everybody a fair chance of being discovered by clients.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

You give the same  answer to everyone but this is not a solution! Please answer the man's question "@Upwork, can you confirm with us that this issue is already worked upon? And could you give us a timeline on when this issue will be fixed?"

All the freelancers facing tha same issue. No views, no invitations, no new clients! Please answer the question, What is going on with the search results? I login with my client account and I see in the first pages profiles irrelevant with my keywords or profiles without earnings or porfolio. That is so frustrating!!

Exactly Maria, when I log in through my client account the search keywords return pretty much irrelevant results. I am not so worried about my own account to be shown in the results but more about how the search itself that is  broken and returning irrelevant results.

Yes, they should solve this problem ASAP

This part right here is DISTURBING:  "Clients may get different search results for the same keywords and filters than freelancers using the same parameters."

That's not how keyword-based Search engines are supposed to work.  Not at all.   What is shown based on a keyword should not 'change' based on who is searching for it. 

If I run a search on Google - right now -  for a 'picture of apple' it shows me pictures of apples, regardless of WHO I am.  There should be no scenario where a  'search engine' shows a picture of apples for one group of users, but maybe, shows grapes, lemons, watermelons, and oranges for other people, all searching for the same 'picture of apples'.  That's not a 'search engine'.  If you go to Google, right now, and type in 'picture of apples' and get back something other than pictures of apples, you would not  be happy.   This is what the clients are complaining about, but UW won't listen to the bug reports.

The search feature is FAILING if it is doing that.  This explains why so many clients on the Client forum are complaining that when they look for, say, a 'graphic designer', they are getting unrelated JUNK, like profiles from stock brokers, construction workers, event planners, and accountants.   It has nothing to do with search 'rankings'. A search engine is FAILING if the results it is showing are irrelevant.

An apple is the same for everybody, regardless of who is searching for an 'apple'. 2+2 =4, always, regardless of who is using the calculator. When facts are 'adjusted' or 'modified' based on the 'audience', they are no longer facts at all.  They are falsehoods.  Search engines are supposed to show people relevant information  based on the words they type in, not what some algorithm 'thinks' they should see instead based on who they are.   The search engines should be returning what people ask for, not UW's 'interpretation' of what it thinks the user should see: In other words, facts, not 'spin' and falsehoods. 

ericaandrews_0-1659977109176.png

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths