🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Can't find myself
Page options
655940a7
Community Member

Can't find myself

Hi,

I just recently became a freelancer and posted my profile, but can't even find myself when doing a search for the services I'm offering. I've used the exact words I used in my title, and have even gone as far to as include my name but my profile never appears among those that are returned when doing a search. 

Have I done something incorrectly? Can't land any jobs if I'm invisible to those looking for freelancers.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Kind regards,

Mark

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mtngigi
Community Member

Mark C wrote:

Hi,

I just recently became a freelancer and posted my profile, but can't even find myself when doing a search for the services I'm offering. I've used the exact words I used in my title, and have even gone as far to as include my name but my profile never appears among those that are returned when doing a search. 

Have I done something incorrectly? Can't land any jobs if I'm invisible to those looking for freelancers.

Kind regards,

Mark

You will find that if you do a forum search, your question has been asked and answered many times over. Search results are different and will bring up different results depending on who is doing the searching. And all profiles are regularly rotated so that everyone gets a fair chance at exposure.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
mtngigi
Community Member

Mark C wrote:

Hi,

Kind regards,

Mark

You will find that if you do a forum search, your question has been asked and answered many times over. Search results are different and will bring up different results depending on who is doing the searching. And all profiles are regularly rotated so that everyone gets a fair chance at exposure.

petra_r
Community Member

Mark C wrote:

I just recently became a freelancer and posted my profile, but can't even find myself when doing a search for the services I'm offering.

There are tens of thousands of people in your category. Only 20 fit on a page of search results... I assume that answers that question.

Mark C wrote:

Can't land any jobs if I'm invisible to those looking for freelancers.

You buy connects and apply like everyone else.

If you thought you can just create a profile and then clients would come to you out of the blue you were very much mistaken.

655940a7
Community Member

Hi Petra,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

I'm fully aware that there are lot's of other freelancers who got here before I did, so I wasn't expecting to see my profile on the top of every page. But there are precious few who translate from Spanish to English; the overrwhelming majority translate from English to Spanish, and it was for that reason that I expected to see my listing appear more often. 

Kind regards,

Mark

It is a rabbit hole. Not fruitful.

I can imagine that nearly every new freelancer tires to search for themselves.

I imagine that most of them do what I did: abandon the attempt soon after they start using the site, after realizing it's not like Google search.

Successful, active freelancers get more invitations as they gain experience and positive feedback.

Mark C wrote:

Hi Petra,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

I'm fully aware that there are lot's of other freelancers who got here before I did, so I wasn't expecting to see my profile on the top of every page. But there are precious few who translate from Spanish to English; the overrwhelming majority translate from English to Spanish, and it was for that reason that I expected to see my listing appear more often. 

Kind regards,

Mark

If somebody is looking for a Spanish/English translator, there is no search algorithm to differentiate the target language, so that will not help you in the search results.

3eb71110
Community Member

I did all that, but I haven't been able to see myself!

vivroodt
Community Member

Has you profile been approved.
3eb71110
Community Member

I have bought connects, and My availability badge is always, but i can't still discover myself 

Why?

petra_r
Community Member

Hugh A wrote:

I have bought connects, and My availability badge is always, but i can't still discover myself 

Why?

The question is really why you would expect to find yourself?

There are literally many tens of thousands of freelancers in your category, and to be "found" you have to come up high in search results. With such a huge overcrowded category, your chance of appearing high in search results amongst those tens of thousands of other freelancers is slim to nil.

You are also wasting your connects on the "available now" badge. It doesn't help you appear higher in search results and when you are not high in search results, it is simply never seen by anyone.

Hi Hugh,

Thank you for your message. I've pulled a few resources that may be helpful to you. Check out these articles to help you create a profile that stands out and improve your profile title and overview. For some great tips on writing proposals that win jobs, check out this article.

Visit our Resource Center and sign up for upcoming events and webinars to learn more about how you can boost your success on Upwork.

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork
pgiambalvo
Community Member

I can't find myself either, but that's an issue far larger and beyond the function of this forum.

Peter G wrote:

I can't find myself either

Then you're searching wrong. You are found perfectly easily.

Peter G wrote:

that's an issue far larger and beyond the function of this forum.

Newly concocted conspiracy theory based on a fallacy...

Huh? I didn't really mean I couldn't find myself on this platform. i was making a joke. I hope your response is also a joke pretending that you didn't know that.

I think he meant it in a different context. The one where meditation and yoga is recommended. 

Yes. Oh well, I suppose it was meant for for those with ears, pearls before swine, etc.

deardipu
Community Member

To Mark C.

1. Your profile is set to private, and private profiles are not shown on Upwork search engine. 

2. If your profile were public, you would find it directly using either same title of your profile or  your name. You had to put double inverted commas of that name/title on search bar. 

Double Inverted commas let the search engine to find out all the words on search bar as single combined keyword only.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths