cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get a job for a while

Md. A Member Since: Apr 10, 2015
1 of 8

I am not sure what happened to me. I have worked on Upwork with 65+ jobs, 7,690+ hours, $100k+ earned, 5 start feedbacks all. But recently, I cannot get a single job. Here is my profile please - https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0148e14ad4756499a8 .

Upwork is getting crowded with many unfair, spam clients, many of them just come here to get ideas from top developers wasting thier times, upwork connects, etc. 

I had been working on Upwork full time with a hope that it would build my career. But it seems very unstable now a days. Not sure what I should do next. I loved Upwork as it gives me a global platform and proof of my works. But for a while I am very frustrated. I hoped upwork will come with some new ideas where qualified developers will do their jobs with less stress, with comfortable ways. 

Bad clients should be restricted by some how, may be clients should have some limitation on job posting, interviewing, etc. by upwork connects or by paying extra. Because bad clients are messing up the system. 

Thanks guys for reading my concern/complain. Actually I am very sad, I had great dream with upwork. Any sussestion please? Or experiences are also welcome please.

Thanks!

Community Guru
Jo-An B Member Since: Aug 2, 2016
2 of 8

Sorry to hear this Md. Please continue to submit proposals based on your skills. You may check this very helpful article on Boosting your Success on Upwork. Hope this helps.

~ Jo-An

Untitled
3 of 8

Thanks Jo-An for your suggestion.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
4 of 8

@Md. A wrote:

Thanks guys for reading my concern/complain. Actually I am very sad, I had great dream with upwork. Any sussestion please? Or experiences are also welcome please.

Thanks!

Change your posted rate on your profile. Your profile rate shows $3/h yet you are working for way more. With this posted rate you pop out when clients search for rock bottom cheap providers.

2ewif4.jpg

To be fair, even your actual hourly rate is low. You are working with cheap clients, which are the terrible ones. Professional clients would never hire a cheap app dev. Competition in your industry is just crazy. You cannot compete on price, there will always be someone willing to work for less. Heck, some will even work for free.

Your overview text is not helping you. I understand that you are not a native speaker of English, but you really need to get rid of this bulleted list of skills.

This part has nothing to do in your overview: Studied Electrical & Electronic Engineering from Rajshahi University of Engineering & Technology. There is a dedicated section for this.

What is this? Extra curriculum activities includes programming competition awards, district first in boy scout, acting, recitation, speech and debating. Red-crescent award. Journals and papers. This is not a CV. Who cares if you're a boy scout!

You need to rewrite your overview, seek help from someone if needed. Same goes for the proposals that you are sending. Being a buyer myself, I can't tell you how bad one looks when they copy/paste their proposals, I bet this is what you are doing. A proposal shall not be a laundry list of skills or speak about you. It has to tell the client how you can solve their own problem.

Everyone is sending templated proposals containing a list of skills. Everyone. The one person who manages to be somehow creative gets the client's attention.

One last thing: make your first name visible. Right now, clients see only your prefix: MD, and the first letter of your first name. If needed get rid of the prefix, everybody in your area has the same prefix. Tell me your name. It's a tiny detail, but it'll help you connect with clients.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
5 of 8

Thanks for your suggestion Rene.

But now full name is no more possible to make visible.
https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Update-to-displayed-client-and-freelancer-names/m-p/31... .

I put this $3 hourly rate just today, previously it was $16/hr. Any suggestion how much my hourly rate should be?

Thanks.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
6 of 8

@Md. A wrote:

Thanks for your suggestion Rene.

But now full name is no more possible to make visible.
https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Update-to-displayed-client-and-freelancer-names/m-p/31... .

And any idea how much my hourly rate should be?

Thanks.

Just get rid of the "MD".  If your name is MD Abdullah Faisal for instance, it'll show as Abdullah F. instead of MD A.

Concerning your rate, I dunno, study your industry, on and off-Upwork. Also, you may want to diversify, you cannot let Upwork be your only source of income. This would be extremely risky.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Andy V Member Since: Nov 15, 2019
7 of 8

Wow, this feels so helpful. Thanks.

Community Leader
Tom Z Member Since: Jul 10, 2016
8 of 8

I don't think the issue is you or your profile, it's the new algorithm Upwork implemented in June... I've noticed more spams, and more **edited for Community Guidelines** client proposals like you said to waste your time (they never hire).

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS