🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can`t get a job for a while.
Page options
vorkob
Community Member

Can`t get a job for a while.

Hello there!

My problem is that I`m a Top Rated freelancer with more than 5k earned and 99% JSS and now I have a period when I can`t get a job for more than 1 month. From all connects, that I spend, I receive only ~ 4 answers, and even if I get them, thats doesn`t mean, that the client is responsive or we agreed with job terms. I spent all my monthly connects and got nothing, now I`ve bought an UpWork pro plan and spend > 1/2 of connects and yes, got almost nothing.

I`ve noticed that there are less and less adequate clients with reasonable payments or requirements. Most of the clients even not responding to nobody.

Can u really help me resolving that?)) Would be really greatfull!

Thank you in advance.

11 REPLIES 11
flrgx
Community Member

I think the problem you are having is that upwork has become more popular. As such, the range of clients has increased, but the quality of jobs has dropped.

Likewise, the range of freelancers has increased, but the quality of their work is bad. 

Unfortunately, many of the "bad" freelancers come from non-english speaking countries, so you might be finding that due to your english not being perfect, you are being treated like a low quality freelancer.

I think you are probably very good, because you are top rated with $5k of work. So I recommend you get a proofreader from the US or UK to proofread your profile and correct it for spelling and grammar. Then, get someone with English as a first language to write you a proposal template that you can modify for each job.

I hope this doesn't sound racist. I'm just saying what I have been told by my own clients, who are very happy that I speak perfect english.

It's not fair, and I think you will be able to present yourself very well, with a little bit of help.

If you can't find a proofreader for your profile, you can message me and I will find someone to help you.

nyrrielatienza
Community Member

Hi Sergey,

Our goal is to help professional freelancers like you win more jobs. With paid Connects moving forward, we expect freelancers will submit fewer proposals, increasing your likelihood of winning projects and making it easier for clients to identify high-quality talent. While we won't be able to advice agencies and clients with how they select freelancers, you can also definitely create a proposal and a profile that would make you stand out from everyone else. 

In addition to Damon's response, you may want to check out these articles from our Hiring Headquarters to help you create proposals that win jobs, and help you boost your career on Upwork:

8+ Tips to Help You Create a Profile That Stands Out

Upwork Profiles: Why a Great Title and Overview Can Make a Difference

A How-To Guide for Your Perfect Profile Picture

Get Your Profile to the Next Level with an Intro Video

4 Ways to Create a More Successful Portfolio Regardless of Your Skill Set

Let me know if you need anything else.

~ Riri
rafsun_ug
Community Member

Hi Sergey,

I agree with you! From a couple of months (From 2 or 3 months), this is also happening with me! First of all the client's budget and their attitude are quite disappointing! I have also found that they don't respond even after sending a point to point proposal! Another most important issue is that you will find more or less 50 freelancers proposed for a job within a few minutes. In these kinds of cases, I have seen most of the clients start to invite. If someone responds, he/she asked for a very unethical budget or sometimes test works. And probably, it's not only you! Many Top Rated Upworkers are having the same issue! I think Upwork started the rule to buy connects only because of these situations! But my mind says, it will not be solved easily even after buying connects. It is getting hard to get new clients. And honestly, you will never get a good answer from this community. They will just blame you for weak English or perfect proposal! But I am sure the reality is totally different. Sometimes, it feels that I am gambling here. I think the only way to hold patience and keep trying! 

raina5
Community Member

I find that things go up and down here and I don't know if there is a reason.  Sometimes there are not too many jobs coming my way, and then suddenly there are too many. Is part of it just the ebb and flow of freelancing?  Finding regular clients has saved me from being at the complete mercy of the up and down, but it took me a while to find them.  I sometimes think the best thing we can do is just not give up. Eventually, we can get a foothold to more regular work.

rafsun_ug
Community Member

Yes, that's correct! It's good that I also have some regular client! That's helps me to hold myself here. Otherwise, it would be really hard! 

It's been a very quiet month for me too. I've made more proposals than usual, had a fair number of interviews, but the only conversion to a job was an invitation where I was the only invitee (which is a nice position to be in), On some of the jobs I applied to, I know that I was undercut by a freelancer asking a small fraction of my rate. In one case the client posted a decent budget, but then hired someone at a fraction of that price!

At the same time, old clients who've been talking about more work have been slow to come through with it. So, all in all, I've had an unexpected holiday from work.  Smiley Wink

same here..the problem is at times i get many projects at one go and at times no replies/interviews for days..i guess it has something to do with the alogrithrm 😞

maybe you're right, sometimes I haven't received any responses from clients for some days, even more than a week..Smiley Sad

I'm noticing the same... 

roverup
Community Member

Did you contact Upwork support? It seems like a lot of people are reporting this issue on the forums but when I spoke to Upwork support they said they weren’t aware of any other people with this issue. It would help us all if you let them know.

Trevor C wrote:
Did you contact Upwork support? It seems like a lot of people are reporting this issue on the forums but when I spoke to Upwork support they said they weren’t aware of any other people with this issue. It would help us all if you let them know.

Being unable to get work is NOT a technical issue and you should not contact support over this.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members