🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can't get a job
Page options
ahmedhany26
Community Member

Can't get a job

I have tried many things to get a job even under bedding a simple  entry-level job that I am sure I can do perfectly but still no luck my problem is I am new to Upwork and new to freelancing but I have studied the subject well and confident about my skills and tested them on my local machine (my job is WordPress)

but still, my profile looks relatively empty and I am not sure if my proposals are eye-catching but I am sure they are good as I have been implementing all tips from high-paid freelancers on how to submit a proposal. Is there anyone who started from zero like me and made it big? or at least gets paid for simple jobs? I am not greedy nor asking for a lot of pay I just want to get to active proposals 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kam_andru
Community Member

Hi Ahmed, 

Don't lose hope, you can check my profile, mine is a very high competition profession, I have more than 7 years experience and I struggle like a beginner to get a job on Upwork, some designers bid 5$ for 50$ job Proposal to get the job, I have been trying months and send 100+ proposals and got only 3 jobs, also I didn't put all my hope on Upwork because I have many clients outside before joining Upwork, and I still didn't lose them, I know I can't rely on online job sites at least for few years, or until I gain enough experience online because each platform requires experience with them than our own experiences.

Don't expect quick growth here, but I'm sure in few years we can, once we are,  we don't need to knock on all doors to get a job, no walking on sunlight, no begging, no offline marketing, just sit back home and gain experience, happiness, and money.

I hope this will motivate you. 😊

by the way, complete your profile by adding experiences / previous work and all the details you have, If you don't have any just create few custom projects yourself and add them to your portfolio.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
kam_andru
Community Member

Hi Ahmed, 

Don't lose hope, you can check my profile, mine is a very high competition profession, I have more than 7 years experience and I struggle like a beginner to get a job on Upwork, some designers bid 5$ for 50$ job Proposal to get the job, I have been trying months and send 100+ proposals and got only 3 jobs, also I didn't put all my hope on Upwork because I have many clients outside before joining Upwork, and I still didn't lose them, I know I can't rely on online job sites at least for few years, or until I gain enough experience online because each platform requires experience with them than our own experiences.

Don't expect quick growth here, but I'm sure in few years we can, once we are,  we don't need to knock on all doors to get a job, no walking on sunlight, no begging, no offline marketing, just sit back home and gain experience, happiness, and money.

I hope this will motivate you. 😊

by the way, complete your profile by adding experiences / previous work and all the details you have, If you don't have any just create few custom projects yourself and add them to your portfolio.

I am really grateful you really made me smile and motivated again, if one day I made it big you would be a huge part of the reason as I was about to give up
Thank you again

You are my lucky star, my first client has just contacted me!!

Well, I may lose the job as they asked me to send them my website to review my work and I don't have one so they stopped responding to me but overall I am so happy 
Thanks again!!

waaw, that's a piece of great news, because getting a reply from the client will give you a free 10 connects.

by the way, does the client was asking for your portfolio website? or a website work you have done?

whatever, if a website sample is important for your portfolio, there are a lot of free website platform available, and many more secured cheap domain and hosting providers too. use one to improve your profile strength.

Hello Ahmad, i read your post ….i am going through the same situation as you were in when you posted this. I want to ask did you get any work? If yes then how much time did it take. I need motivation 🥲
ad34e5e8
Community Member

Hello Ahmad, well I think I have joined your team at the moment not being able to get a single job for the last 2 months.

I have sent over 60 proposals with ($50 work I have sent for only $5) still unable to get the job. BTW did you get your first job yet it's been over a year since you post this. Hope you doing well now. Really need motivation at the moment.

francescafunari
Community Member

Upwork is more of a scam than a good place for find jobs. 
Many clients offers 5-10$ pay for high skilled work and that requires hours in the making.

upwork is not interested in solving this issue AT ALL, since I ask them to do something about it already.
Is been years and many proposal later I have the fortune to have found a couple of very good clients and some very underpaid jobs, that's it. 
Still, buying connects, paying high fees on my compensations and bidding, lowering prices, proposing for anything I can do, and nothing changes.

I look at my profile continously to make it better, my proposal are tailored on the projects, I update my working experience and have a good rating.... I sincerely don't understand how I am not working.

"I sincerely don't understand how I am not working."

You aren't working because graphic design is a flooded category on a platform with 20 million+ freelancers who

are mostly unskilled and send clients running when they receive 50+ proposals.

I just read your post and i feel it too, just come here recently to upwork to make a living but end up being scammed and i dont know it. I proposed some of Upwork jobs, and the Upwork clients contact me through message and agreed to paid a measly $80 for 3 days course of soft skill training, no active contract, being working it on a weeks and poof, im the one whose wrong because no active contract to bind the client. Well, you said its true, come high skilled work paid cheap, and even some doesn't even get paid at all.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members