🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Can't get jobs with provided connects
Page options
m_soremic
Community Member

Can't get jobs with provided connects

Hi

It's difficult for me even to get any replies from clients with the provided 20 connects.

I've sent several proposals but I couldn't get any replies and I'm now wondering if this is nomral case with other new freelancers on upwork or this is the only case for me.

I want to know if other new freelancers easily get jobs with 20 connects. If then, there'll be no hope for me to competite others here :(? Or any other methods or guides to get jobs easily on upwork?

Thank you.

10 REPLIES 10
petra_r
Community Member

Massimiliano S wrote:

It's difficult for me even to get any replies from clients with the provided 20 connects.

I've sent several proposals but I couldn't get any replies and I'm now wondering if this is nomral case with other new freelancers on upwork or this is the only case for me.

I want to know if other new freelancers easily get jobs with 20 connects

I am pretty sure that only a small minority of new freelancers win their first contract with their 20 free connects, and most end up buying connects before they win their first contracts.

I appreciate your quick answer.

Any suggestions for me to get the first contract as soon as possible?

Thanks

Massimiliano - I had to buy a great many connects for a while but now do not use them very often. It takes a lot of time for most people, I think, to get started on Upwork. However, you really need to improve your profile if you want to get hired.

Thank you!

I'll try to improve my profile and struggle to get hired!

The first two sentences are the most important and many people won't read beyond that. Try to dwell on what you can do for a client.

Try to bid fixed price job which needs just 2 connect and which meet your requirement. You need to complete first few fixed job which will help you to save some $$ and get opportunity for some good reviews.

Massimiliano S wrote:

I appreciate your quick answer.

Any suggestions for me to get the first contract as soon as possible?

Thanks

Instead of bidding on a lot of jobs, look carefully for the few jobs that you are confident you can do better than your competitors. There will be a huge number of jobs you can do (and maybe do well), but most of those jobs will also be jobs that a lot of other people can do just as well as you.

Seek out the ones where you have some specific experience or knowledge that will give the client a reason to see you differently than all of the other freelancers who could also do the job.

petersonsue
Community Member

Hello,

It took me 3 months to really get moving on Upwork. I would suggest fixing your profile (have a few people review it) and bidding on the fixed jobs as others have mentioned. I would also look for lower fixed payment jobs and in your cover letter mention that you are new to Upwork but you are competent in doing the job, etc. Add a comment about you just needing the opportunity. I would also stress that you should only bid on the jobs that you can do well. This is the surest way to get a contract, ensure higher ratings, and then continue to get contracts. I started over 8 years ago and took any job I could ($7/hour or really low fixed jobs) and now have worked up to $50/hour. Remember, you need to break into the market so it will take time, patience, and exemplary skills/service. 

Thank you!

Really appreciated.

lysis10
Community Member

When they introduced more connects, it took me like 60 connects to get 1 project. I got a small job last week that I think maybe took me 20-30 connects. 

I don't think the 20 connects are meant to land you a job. They are meant to let you get a feel for how the platform works. If you land a job within 20 connects, you are lucky and landed on the right project. But I think most people will need a lot more.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths