🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can't get paid because I don't have a VAT num...
Page options
balazsdanku
Community Member

Can't get paid because I don't have a VAT number (UK)

Hi everyone,

I gave Upwork my bank details and have a positive balance (received payment from clients), but I still can't get paid due to not having a VAT number.

When I click on the "Get Paid Now" button, it says:

"In order to withdraw earnings, please complete a W8BEN Foreign Status Certification. If you are a U.S. taxpayer living outside of the United States, please complete a W9 Form."

I was reassured a couple of weeks ago that I don't need a VAT number to receive my earnings. How do I get paid?

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Balazs,

In order to activate your payment methods, please please complete the W-8BEN form under Settings> Tax Info, which purpose is to confirm you're not a US taxpayer. You can use your own legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents. 

Entering VAT number is optional. Upwork won't charge VAT to anyone who has provided a validated VAT number but will charge VAT on the services to freelancers and agencies within the EU unless they provide a valid VAT number. You can find more information here.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Balazs,

In order to activate your payment methods, please please complete the W-8BEN form under Settings> Tax Info, which purpose is to confirm you're not a US taxpayer. You can use your own legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents. 

Entering VAT number is optional. Upwork won't charge VAT to anyone who has provided a validated VAT number but will charge VAT on the services to freelancers and agencies within the EU unless they provide a valid VAT number. You can find more information here.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thank you.

I was certain I'd already completed that form, but after double-checking I realised that I didn't put my name on the form.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members