🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can't get response from clients on submitted ...
Page options
jahid_rana
Community Member

Can't get response from clients on submitted proposals.

I submit proposals every day. in the past 120 days, I have applied on 200 jobs but I was hired 20 times from 12 different clients. The problem is I don't get reply to my submitted proposals. I got replies from 20 clients and won 15 clients. My proposals were of high quality. The good thing is if I get a reply, I win the job. 

I need to know why I can't get replies from clients on submitted proposals?

Could somebody help me out with this?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
robin_hyman
Community Member

Tuhin H wrote:

I submit proposals every day. in the past 120 days, I have applied on 200 jobs but I was hired 20 times from 12 different clients. The problem is I don't get reply to my submitted proposals. I got replies from 20 clients and won 15 clients. My proposals were of high quality. The good thing is if I get a reply, I win the job. 

There are a few reasons why clients aren't responding to your proposal:

1) They never hire a freelancer

2) No one meets their requirements (beyond what's on the description)

3) Someone else had a more compelling proposal (pricing, wrote something that wowed them, in their time zone, etc.)

My recommendation:

Once you apply, move on.  Focus on finding the projects you can do well.  Also based on your previous feedback, take note of the written comments.  Communicate throughout the process.  Listen to your client's needs intently.  Make sure your client is satisfied.  You have a few below stellar reviews so you'll want every project moving forward to be executed without flaws.  

Also try other platforms.  

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
robin_hyman
Community Member

Tuhin H wrote:

There are a few reasons why clients aren't responding to your proposal:

1) They never hire a freelancer

2) No one meets their requirements (beyond what's on the description)

3) Someone else had a more compelling proposal (pricing, wrote something that wowed them, in their time zone, etc.)

My recommendation:

Once you apply, move on.  Focus on finding the projects you can do well.  Also based on your previous feedback, take note of the written comments.  Communicate throughout the process.  Listen to your client's needs intently.  Make sure your client is satisfied.  You have a few below stellar reviews so you'll want every project moving forward to be executed without flaws.  

Also try other platforms.  

In addition to what Robin said, do you ask questions in your proposals? They're the most persuasive form of speech and invite responses. When I hire, I always give extra consideration to freelancers who have asked smart questions.

Thank you sir.

Thank you mam.

Thanks to all.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Tuhin,

There are many reason clients don't reply to all the proposals they receive:

1) They don't have time or interest in crafting responses to unsuccessful proposals.

2) They see no reason to tell you the same thing no response tells you - you didn't win the project.

I appreciate those few clients who do inform me they have hired another freelancer on a project I submitted a proposal on, but I would never expect one to do so. I submitted over 300 proposals last year; I really wouldn't have wanted to wade through a response from each of the ones I didn't win.

Good luck.

Thank you sir. 

bizwriterjohn
Community Member

You replies indicate you are a courteous individual.  I admire that.

I must divulge a bit of my Upwork hiring and work metrics to relate the endpoint observation.  This typically gains the ire of many on the board.  You may see many responses that are not courteous. 

You are apparently winning something on the order of 1 out of 10 +/- a few percent.  Again, to restate, I provide metrics simply as a comparative point.  There will no doubt be negative comments regarding this.

I average wins about 1 out of 10 times.  That includes a metric of 30% of those being invited responses to begin with.  To place this win rate in perspective:  my profile carries a 100% JSS, 95% of my clients have left excellent comments, and I have +$100k in earnings.  My profile reflects 60 or so clients, at an average of more than four figures per project.  My portfolio includes 28 or so samples of work, and I am a professional writer (thus meaning my written applications for work probably carry quality in and of themselves.)

Which I am sure will not engender great ire that I am bragging or other complaints I will chose to disregard.  My  message to you:

A one out of ten win rate is excellent.  You are submittings a large number of proposals, giving yourself every shot to win work, and your results reach levels I have worked 7 years to achieve.

I think you are a very successful young man. A courtesous young man.  And a hardworking Upworker on the proposal front.

Congratulations on your success.  And, yes.  I, too, wish my win rate was higher,  It pays the bills, and as I hope is the same for you.

Boomer - who loves ice cream.

Thank you so much, Sir I really really appreciate your kind message.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members