🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can't tell if this is a scam?
Page options
virus200
Community Member

Can't tell if this is a scam?

I have never had a freelance gig so I am new here and to this. I got invited to apply for a front end developer contract listed as a 3 to 6 month contract. Whoever submitted the job has been a member since Feb 2, 2020 and is an UpWork Plus Client with no verified payment method. submitted my proposal and a guy messages me back and says to email another guy who will tell me more about the position. So I email the guy and he asks if I can interview now on google hangouts so I do and he sends me a bunch of prompts about the history of the company and his position and such then asks me some very basic questions almost none of which had to do with the job itself. Stuff like name, phone number, email, how long ive been seeking work, if im current employed, when I can start, if Im seeking fulltime or part time, what bank I use to ensure it isnt an issue with their payroll for whatever reason and if i have a printer, scanner/fax machine. He says itll take 3-10 min to review and then says I scored a 62% on the interview questions whatever that means and offers me the position then sends this long message

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Im kinda fishy at this point because we havent even discussed the actual project yet and I bring this up and say it seems scammish and he says there will be a series of jobs for the next 3 months and ill start with training. Again, confused? Who offers training on a contract position? Im expressing concern and tell him i am uncomfortable giving any more information at this time and to have someone call me tomorrow and he said he will call me tomorrow morning apparently. Whats yalls take on this?

3 REPLIES 3
sergio-soria
Community Member

Anything containing the words "Google Hangouts" is a scam no matter what. In fact, I didn't even read your whole post, just up to the point you mentioned that. Don't lose your time with those offers.

Beware! Because unexperienced freelancers are targeted by that kind of fraudster.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Scam.

Flag as inappropriate.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Zachary, 

I have reported this client to the team so that they can be investigated further. I highly recommend that you read up the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

In the future, if any of the job posts or client interview raises a red flag, please don't hesitate to flag the job post as inappropriate so that it automatically goes to the team's queue for their review. Please also take note that all payments should go through Upwork as it is a violation of the Upwork Terms of service to offer/accept to be paid off the website. If you have other questions, please don't hesitate to reach out. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths