cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't upload my client's file. Get the security reasons message. Need help!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
1 of 9

This is rather annoying. My client is now out of his office, before leaving he sent me a file (or rather a group of files in a .zip - I keep getting this message:

"For your security, we're scanning the file you requested to ensure it isn't hiding a virus or malware. This should just take a few seconds.
Please try downloading it again in a minute."

Well, many minutes have passed and I still can't upload the file. Could someone help me, please?
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 9

Email

FTP

WeTransfer

Dropbox

GoogleDrive

flashdrive

[etc.]

As professionals, Upwork freelancers understand that Upwork is not a file transfer tool. We do not rely on Upwork for this purpose. We are familiar with a variety of methods for exchanging files.

If I encounter a message like this, I send a note to the client:

"Carlos: It looks like you tried to send me a zip file through the Upwork messages tool. This tool has a number of security precautions and technical limitations, which mean that it can not always be relied on for file transfers. It can have problems with zip files. The file you sent me can not be downloaded or used.

"Please resend the file using any method you prefer, including using the following email address, or Dropbox link, or FTP credentials. These are methods that I regularly use to transfer files without difficulty: ..."

Community Guru
3 of 9

Preston, thank you for your advice. However, this client has been using .zip to send me files for a long time, and it usually works.

Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
4 of 9

Hi Luce,

I'm sorry to hear of the trouble you're having with downloading the files sent by your client. One of our customer support agents will reach out to you via email to assist you further. Thanks!

-Joanne
Untitled
Community Guru
5 of 9

Thanks Joanne, I hope this will be soon as my client is probably thinking I've opened his files and started working on them... He'll only be available next Monday.

Community Guru
BEST ANSWER
6 of 9

The people at the Upwork Help Center were able to solve my problem.

Thank you very much Upwork Help Center! Smiley Happy

Renee W Member Since: Feb 22, 2019
7 of 9

What was the answer ?

Community Guru
8 of 9

Don't remember, that was a long time ago!

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
9 of 9

Renee W wrote:

What was the answer ?

Saw your other thread, hope they fix this quickly!

It doesn't help you right now, but the long-term answer is ALWAYS arrange redundant communication channel(s) with a client, and use email attachments, Dropbox, etc. to send files back and forth (unless you are both sitting in the Message Center live chatting, and can check file integrity right then). UW invariably hiccups at the most inconvenient times (like Friday afternoon).

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS