cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can they take your content and run? :-(

Anne M Member Since: May 19, 2016
1 of 20

I'm not sure where to post this. I have written for content websites years ago in the past, but the structure was a little different, but never was I not paid.

I'm new to Upwork as of a week ago and still trying to get the hang of it. Not that it's difficult, but each site has its own learning curve. I'm getting a little nervous right now, as I accepted a propsal/job offer. The client said they wanted an article for a Job Related Niche Site, and they would inform at the time of proposal Key Words. This 1,000 word article @ $10.00 might not seem like much, but after they gave me the keyword: China- you bet it was. I know nothing of China's job market, economy, or rising trends. Since the client offered no resources, I was left to figure that out on my own (which wasn't mentioned in the proposal). So yeah I spent 3+ hours researching the subject. That's not including typing it up, re-phrasing, editing.

This client was quick to reply when I had questions before, within 5 minutes. Now that I submitted the work, it's been 12+ hours with no reply, no approval. Good God, I spent 5 hours more than I should have researching this subject and presenting a high quality article. If I knew that was the case I wouldn't have agreed.

Can this person take the work I submitted and run? I now see he has an unverified payment method. Makes sense, all the clients I have worked that have paid me, all have verified accounts. Wish I would have paid attention, I just didn't notice it. Any recorse I can take?

Also, now that I see this verified payment option, should I drop unverified account contracts? I have 2 pending. I don't want to submit work only to not get paid. Advice, please and thank you.

Sad

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 20

lol 5 hours for $10. It was probably more like 8-10 too.

$10 for 1000 words. I don't even think I'll put down my wine glass for that.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
3 of 20

If the milestone was funded and you submitted the article through the "submit work/request pay" channel, the client has 14 days to review the work. If they don't react, it gets automatically released to the freelancer.

Even if a 1000 word article as about something as fluffy as your dearest pj's, it needs to cost more. By working for <$2/h, you're not only devaluating yourself, but entire professions and the overall marketplace.

Highlighted
4 of 20

Thank you, you are correct, that's what customer service relayed to me.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 20

@Sandra T wrote:

If the milestone was funded and you submitted the article through the "submit work/request pay" channel, the client has 14 days to review the work. If they don't react, it gets automatically released to the freelancer.

Not with an unverified payment method.

When a payment method is unverified the money can NOT be released from Escrow.

Have we even established that there was an active Upwork contract?

Highlighted
6 of 20

Completley agree, however the previous content site I worked for shut down. I never copied over my work, so I'm essentually starting from scratch. I feel like I have to accept low paying jobs just to get a start. Its been tough, many of the clients I have agreed to work for have left the contract open, because they still want work from me. So I can't get a rating unless the contract is ended. Any advice?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 20

@Anne M wrote:

Completley agree, however the previous content site I worked for shut down. I never copied over my work, so I'm essentually starting from scratch. I feel like I have to accept low paying jobs just to get a start. Its been tough, many of the clients I have agreed to work for have left the contract open, because they still want work from me. So I can't get a rating unless the contract is ended. Any advice?

Write some samples, put them in your profile and work at reasonable rate. You're gonna go broke if you keep this up unless you have someone else to support you. 

Highlighted
8 of 20

Jennifer- Thank you for the suggestions, I will do that. Thank you! Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 20

@Anne M wrote:
many of the clients I have agreed to work for have left the contract open, because they still want work from me. So I can't get a rating unless the contract is ended. Any advice?

That is odd. When you say "many of the clients left the contract open" - what do you mean? According to your profile you have two ended contracts and not a single active (open) one where any money has been paid.

Were you actually hired properly via Upwork and paid via Upwork? Are there contracts under your "My Jobs" tab?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
10 of 20

Were you not able to receive a letter similar to the one below prior to working on the project?

Unverified_payment_method.jpg

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS