cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can they take your content and run? :-(

Highlighted
Anne M Member Since: May 19, 2016
11 of 20

Juvy-No ma'am. Never in the proposal did it state they didn't have a verified payment method. I can screen shot it as proof if need be.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
12 of 20

If the payment was placed in escrow then hopefully you will get paid. When you hit submit, the client has several days (I can't remember how many) to review and agree to pay. If they do nothing and the funds are in escrow you will be paid at the end of that time period. 

I started out doing very low price articles. I'm sure you weren't planning to spend 5 hours on the thing. Do try to raise your rates, but don't worry about what anyone else thinks in the meantime. We all make choices and we all live with them. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
13 of 20

That explains it.  So since fixed price contracts are not under the Hourly Protection scheme it follows then that the OP will never receive such a warning letter. Thanks, Tonya.

Highlighted
14 of 20

Thanks Tonya P,

Your words are uplifting. I've accepted some lower paying jobs, but these are people/companies I belive in, start ups.  They believed in me, me in them- so these 2 people I will continue to work with because we get along so well and I honestly enjoy the work! They can't offer much since they are new, but their projects are so much fun, I enjoy doing the tasks.

Tonya, what would you charge for a 500 word article? You dont have to answer.I don't know I figure $1.00 per 100 words. Which yeah is cheap. I would ask for more, but since I only have a reputation on websites that have since been abolished, I kind of have to re-establish my worth :-/

Thanks for listening Lady, appriciate it.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
15 of 20

If you take a look at the profiles of some of the writers, you can get a better idea of where we started and where we are now. It is a gradual progression. Also, I don't know your background, but a lot of the folks who charge more have a specific niche or extra skills that merit the price.

I think sometimes people forget that the price for a general article is much lower than for one requiring specific knowledge. There is a vested interest in people in the same field charging the highest rates that they can because it raises the average rate for the entire group. Some of us will be above the average, some below. 

Highlighted
16 of 20

Makes sense Tonya, thank you.

Highlighted
17 of 20

Mods please delete, spoke with customer support, this issue is resolved. Thank you :-)

Highlighted
Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
18 of 20

Anne,

I do get the starting low or from scratch. There have been a few writers here recently who were new to the site, even new to freelancing, who started out low and moved up (or relatively up) fairly quickly. Just make sure you clearly see the 'up' possibility in everything you do. Sometimes writing a good portfolio piece for free instead of a cheap article for some cheapo client might be more frutile in the long-run?

Good luck Smiley Happy

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
19 of 20

Hi All,

Please, note that a few posts have been removed from this thread because they were off topic and included personal attacks.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Maria Marilyn M Member Since: Oct 27, 2010
20 of 20

Can they take your content and run? :-(

Yes, they can. It happened to me when I was new to the world of freelancing and was too trusting. Good thing for you is that you have learned the lesson early on without loosing much.

I see nothing wrong with starting low and I find it rude when others belittle you just because you charge low. You can always work your way up (and increase your rates) after gaining experience but don't write sample articles for free, ever again just to win a project. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS