cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can trans people join Upwork? If yes, how?

Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
11 of 18

Dietmar, I'm sorry if you feel like your head is going to be bitten off.Maybe it is an issue with translation, but when you say "lifestyle", it implies that it is something you choose, like "I have the alternate lifestyle as a freelancer; I choose not to commute to a 9 to 5 job in an office." If I wanted to look for an office job, I could.

Being transgender is not something you choose, it is the way you are, so it can be seen as offensive if you imply that it is something that can be changed easily (not that you were intentionally trying to be offensive). I don't think Fatima's friend would choose a "lifestyle" that would leave her to be homeless and out of work.

Also, gender identity and sexual preference are completely separate things. You can be transgender and be attracted to the gender opposite that you identify with, or you can be attracted to the same gender as the gender you identify with, or both. Just like you can be cis-gender (identify with the sex you were assigned at birth) and be heterosexual, homosexual or bisexual.

Putting all of these things together in one box can be perceived as  offensive (once again, not saying that you were trying to be offensive)  because people who are transgender have different issues to deal with than people who are cis-gender but not heterosexual. Also, it means you are making assumptions about people's sexual preferences.

Fatima, I missed the part of your post where you said her passport and other ID show her to be a man. I'm assuming that's the way the law in your country works and her ID can't be changed?

Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
12 of 18

@Dietmar Thomas B wrote:

We have not joined a sex site here after all.

**bleep**, I knew I'd signed up to the wrong site. All this talk of proposals and projects and the like, had me suspicious, but I just assumed it was some kind of advanced code for certain 'practices'. Ah well, back to the drawing board. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
13 of 18

No, Dietmar, you were not giving sound advice. Far from it. Give it a rest.

Best,
Michael

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
14 of 18

Dietmar, 

You have used the word 'lifestyle' just once too often.

And yes, that's a slippery slope indeed. Best to realize when to get off it and keep mum.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
15 of 18

Fatima,

Upwork has a specific allowance under the general rubric of the manual name mismatch review for accepting alternative documentation of name for transgendered people. I stumbled across it last night, and I'll see if I can dig up the reference.

Best,

Michael

[edited to add:]

Here's what I found last night (scroll down to "name change"):

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063768-Bank-Account-Name-Mismatch

This does not directly answer your question, Fatima, since it's specific to setting up a payment account. A reasonable inference, though, is that one should use the name one uses in life, and submit for approval any discrepancies along the way. I think you were wise not to approach customer support. Perhaps a @mod will be able to comment more specifically.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
16 of 18
Hi all,
Fatima, thanks for raising this. We support the transgender community and want to ensure that our policies take their unique needs into account. Every freelancer should be able to proudly display the name and the photo that best fits their identity on our site. 

We have established procedures for these cases, so please tell your friend (or anyone else with similar circumstances) to contact us if they've been asked to verify identity and they have a different identity than the one displayed on official documents. They can reach our team directly at compliance-team@upwork.com.
~ Valeria
Untitled
Ace Contributor
Fatima A Member Since: Sep 26, 2013
17 of 18

Thank you! Thank you all! Thank you for the information and for the support! It's morning over here so I am going to head out to see her and I'll show her this thread so she can find out how to join and also find out what an awesome group of people she'll be working alongside. Smiley Very Happy

Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
18 of 18

Smiley Happy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS