🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Can two or more freelancers join a common...
Page options
studioconstantin
Community Member

Can two or more freelancers join a common project?

Hello

Is there a way for  two freelancers to associate and collaborate in a common project?

A client replied to my application but he says that  his project needs a local architect.

Is there a way i can invite another freelancer to join me in  a common project?

Thanks !

Constantin

14 REPLIES 14
prestonhunter
Community Member

There is no limit to the number of freelancers who can work together on the same project.

Each freelancer has their own contract.

Upwork freelancers never share accounts or login information.

Hi Preston, thanks for the reply!

Can I as a freelancer invite another freelancer on a project or is it something that only the client can do?

I read that there is a Team feature but its only available on the client side.

Constantin

Look into the Teams functionality. There are official ways that the client can delegate project management and hiring authority to you.

I think i need to create an Agency account before i can organise teams?

You don't need an agency or agency account.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063338-Enable-Teams

Preston H wrote:

You don't need an agency or agency account.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063338-Enable-Teams

Preston, that is for clients, not for freelancers and only Plus and Enterprise clients can use it. It's absolutely no use to the OP.

The client doesn't need teams either. All they have to do is set the OP up as a hiring manager after hiring him (like so),

which the client can do here.

Alternatively the OP could just hire someone themselves on Upwork or locally. There is no need to overcomplicate things.

So as a freelancer, the only way to create a team is by creating an  Agency Plus membership?

Constantin Eugen C wrote:

So as a freelancer, the only way to create a team is by creating an  Agency Plus membership?

It depends what you want to do. If you want to use an Upworrk freelancer, it is easiest if the client hres you both and gives you priviledges. 

If you want to use a freelancer who isn't on Upwork, you can subcontract to them. You could subcontract to a Upwork freelancer too, but that would make it very expensive ( 2 x fees) or create an agency (which I guess you could close again after this contract is done).

Have you actually won that contract? If the client wants a local architect, they would normally just hire a local architect and be done with it.

Hi Petra

You mean to subcontract him outside of Upwork platform?

So another way would be for the other architect to register as a freelancer on Upwork (if he is not already registered) and then the client to hire both of us?

I did not win the contract yet. The client has replied me that he is confident about me for this project but that he would need a local architect. Then i told him that i know a local architect.

You are right, it could very well be possible that a local architect will apply too.

It depends on the client`s most important criterias and preferences.

The client has replied me that he is confident about me for this project but that he would need a local architect.

That's surely the client telling you really nicely that they are not hiring you, no?

You mean to subcontract him outside of Upwork platform?

If it's not an Upwork architect and you know them directly, you could just subcontract. But is the client really looking for TWO architects? You and a local one? I wouldn't spend too much time on this to be honest, let alone any money by creating an agency.

So another way would be for the other architect to register as a freelancer on Upwork (if he is not already registered) and then the client to hire both of us?

Yes, but why would the client do that...

df602768
Community Member

Hi Constantin,

You have to create an agency if you would like to work together with another freelancer on the same project.

Or

You can ask the client for additional payment, so you hire a freelancer on your own, independently.

It's up to you and the client, really. 

Petra

I did told him that i know this architect and will contact him about the job and he suggrested that maybe that architect should lead the project locally since he can be in touch with the authorities and subcontract me somehow for part of the job but you are right it seems a bit odd and the chances seem low,  unless maybe he cannot find a local architect in Upwork. 

Another way is maybe i can just negotiate with the local architect for a commission for referencing him and bringing him into the project without me getting any other involvement. Of course this is by asking him to register on Upwork.

Konstantinos,

I hasve also suggested to the client that his initial budget my need to be adjusted if there is a second architect involved. But i think this would not be very convenient for him.

I also dont even want to create an agency account myself and pay the 20 USD unless if and after i win the job.

Ah, so you haven't won the job yet?

You're still in the interview process. 

Hm. 

I would still suggest asking them for an extra payment. Otherwise, tell the client to create a separate job post on their own to find you a partner. 

Yes, i am just during the interview process. 

I will ask the client what is his opinion on this and if he found some other local architect or not

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths