🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Can we Use Second Account on same laptop...
Page options
b8b80eb0
Community Member

Can we Use Second Account on same laptop or PC? with different name with same IP?

My brother wants to use my laptop. He wants to register a new account for Creative Designing on Upwork, and for 1-2 months, he will use my laptop. 

Is there any rule or regulation to use only one account on the same laptop, or can we use another account for 1-2 months?

Because running a second account from the machine will look like I have a second account. So I am writing this to know what is allowed and what is not.

I will be highly thankful to the Upwork community for guidance on this. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
yofazza
Community Member

I am going to buy a second laptop for my brother. 

You don't need to.

It means that at one time, I can use only one account. After logging out, I can use a second one. 

YOU can't use or log into another account, but YOUR BROTHER is free to log into his own account, even in your computer.

Sharing account isn't allowed, sharing computer is allowed.

Or it's against TOS. I found out a lot about TOS but could not find any exact answer. 

Nikola is a moderator and their word is law (most of the time). Take a look into it again carefully.

They do use browser and IP address to flag, but definitely not the only ones.

If you post a job from your computer for your brother in his own laptop (and even on different network most of the time), maybe to give him stars, that will be detected and get a much more important flag than the ones you get when you both are using the same computer but never "connected" to each other.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
virtualbrix
Community Member

I don't think this is a good idea.

why?

piyushseem
Community Member

Technically you should not do because the account-validation algorithm will count 2 different accounts from same device and it will treat like a person who are using 2 accounts (which is against the upwork's TOS).

You may be safe because you are honest, but for this purpose you need to pass through a process by upwork technical team. So do you think it is important where you are ready to take risk?

Thanks a lot 

no i can not use second account on same laptop

No, you cannot have a second ACCOUNT - anywhere, at any time - but a second PERSON can have their own account and use your laptop. Upwork has confirmed this many times, so people need to stop all the misinformation in this thread.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

It's not a problem if each of you always logs out before the other person logs in. 

Your profile - take out everything that gives even a hint of academic fraud. Maybe it's unfortunate wording, but it's not a good thing to have on a profile, since it's strictly forbidden. 

Thanks for highlighting this. 

I am going to change my description too. 

virtualbrix
Community Member

Contact Upwork first. Its not a good idea : )

Why? Upwork has answered this question many times over, no need to bother support with it. 

People are constantly complaining how slowly support answers. No wonder when they are bothered with stuff that is easily found in numerous forum posts, the help section, or the Academy.  

virtualbrix
Community Member

I would do it as a precaution, I am sure that they have "bots" or AI that looks for users with multiple accounts, in this case, they may be on the same IP or same Location or using the same machine / cookies are stored, etc. I am not saying its not a good idea, what I am saying is to contact Upwork and get it in writing incase something were to happen!.

They have said it in writing many times. Search the forum. 

Can we please leave support alone and let them do their real work?

NikolaS

Hi Asif,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I would like to clarify that it is not a problem to share the same IP address and computer with more users as long as you don't share your account with another person. It's important that you don't share your log in credentials with anybody and don't log into other users' accounts as it's a serious violation of the Upwork Terms of Service .

~ Nikola
Upwork
b8b80eb0
Community Member

It means that at one time, I can use only one account. After logging out, I can use a second one. 

Or it's against TOS. I found out a lot about TOS but could not find any exact answer. 

Well THAT is a completely different question to the one you actually asked. 

No of course you can't, having more than one account will get all of them suspended. 

Thanks, Martina, for being so cooperative.

yofazza
Community Member

You don't need to.

YOU can't use or log into another account, but YOUR BROTHER is free to log into his own account, even in your computer.

Sharing account isn't allowed, sharing computer is allowed.

Nikola is a moderator and their word is law (most of the time). Take a look into it again carefully.

They do use browser and IP address to flag, but definitely not the only ones.

If you post a job from your computer for your brother in his own laptop (and even on different network most of the time), maybe to give him stars, that will be detected and get a much more important flag than the ones you get when you both are using the same computer but never "connected" to each other.

virtualbrix
Community Member

1. do not have more than one account. you get suspended.

2. you can share the same laptop but make sure you logout each time. before the other person uses it.

3. you can be on the same IP address.

Personally, I would not risk if, if one account gets suspended for 'any reason". does the other one automatically get tagged?

Anyhow, thank you Martina and Nikola for the clarification!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths