cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can we get on the same page about profiles going private?

Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
21 of 43

1 - Is setting profiles to private after a certain number of days without earnings reasonable? (Yes or No) Yes

2 - If you agree that it is reasonable to set profiles to private at some point, is 30 days a reasonable time period? (Yes or No) No

3 - If you don't think 30 days is reasonable, what would be a more reasonable time period? 45 days

4 - Is the current system of re-activating profiles adequate? (Yes or No) Yes

5 - If you do not think the current system of re-activating profiles is adequate, what don't you like about it and how could it be improved? Refer to #4

(Edited to adopt Petra's better wording for question 1)

Community Guru
Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
22 of 43

1 - Is setting profiles to private after a certain number of days without earnings reasonable? (Yes or No)

Yes

2 - If you agree that it is reasonable to set profiles to private at some point, is 30 days a reasonable time period? (Yes or No)

No

3 - If you don't think 30 days is reasonable, what would be a more reasonable time period? 

I think a funded milestone should count as activity. Other than that 30 days for most freelancers is fine. Should however be 60 days for new Upworkers, and maybe also for TR (as an extra perk)

4 - Is the current system of re-activating profiles adequate? (Yes or No)

No

5 - If you do not think the current system of re-activating profiles is adequate, what don't you like about it and how could it be improved?

Should be possible to do from the profile, but let's say maybe only 3 times (so 3 months), after that it shouldn't be possible to put it back to public without earning money. 

23 of 43

Not wanting to clutter up the thread, but I am pretty certain the reason why CS are in the mix to re-activate profiles is because there is a check for signs of "unusual / TOS violating activity" involved to catch those who have been winning jobs, but opted to take them outside the platform.

So allowing user re-activation would defeat the purpose.

Community Leader
Craig G Member Since: Jun 20, 2017
24 of 43

1 - Is setting profiles to private after a certain number of days without earnings reasonable? (Yes or No)

Yes.

2 - If you agree that it is reasonable to set profiles to private at some point, is 30 days a reasonable time period? (Yes or No)

Sure, it’s reasonable, but it’s probably not optimal.

3 - If you don't think 30 days is reasonable, what would be a more reasonable time period?

I’d say maybe 30 days of no activity at all (i.e., the person hasn’t even logged in; there’s no evidence they’re still on the site and interested in finding work), or 180 days since their last earnings.

Probably, but I haven’t really researched what problems people are or aren’t having with it, so I don’t have a strong opinion one way or the other. As long as you can get your profile reset to public pretty easily upon request, that’s good enough.

5 - If you do not think the current system of re-activating profiles is adequate, what don't you like about it and how could it be improved?

N/A

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
25 of 43

So, mods:

Thus far, 20 freelancers have weighed in.

EVERY ONE has indicated that they agree that hiding inactive profiles at some point is reasonable.

The vast majority have said 30 days isn't enough, but most only want a slight increase--45 to 60 days would satisfy nearly everyone who has responded thus far.

Most agree that the current system of setting the profile back to public is sufficient in theory, but it's perhaps not clear enough--some freelancers have had difficulty or reported that the options described by moderators were not visible to them. Some would like to see freelancers able to re-set their profiles to public themselves, at least within the first round or two of inactivity.

After all the outcry this system has triggered, it seems that perhaps a couple of relatively minor changes would satisfy most freelancers. Worth considering?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
26 of 43

Yes

?

?

Yes

I know, a lot of question marks, but I don't have enough info to voice an opinion. I think the idea is good, but I'm not familiar enough with its execution.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
27 of 43

Hi All, 

Just to confirm that I`m making a report for our team with all of the information shared here. 
Thank you all for your feedback.

Untitled
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
28 of 43

Goran V. posted:

Hi All, 

Just to confirm that I`m making a report for our team with all of the information shared here. 
Thank you all for your feedback.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Goran and/or other interested Mods,

If you're interested in additional opinions to those already shared, I'd be happy to respond.  In addition for a larger sample size how about inviting Freelancers to participate who:  have earned at least a certain amount on oDesk/Elance/Upwork (I'm not certain what that amount should be), practice varying disciplines, charge various fees, and are in different geographical locations, etc.  Those categories are just "off the top of my head."     

Community Leader
Ed S Member Since: Oct 27, 2017
29 of 43

Yes.

Yes

90 days.  Alternatively, 30 days IF the activities I list in #5 either reset the 30 day timer OR automatically resets the profile to Public.

No

Profiles should automatically be set back to Public after the user completes at least one of the following qualifying actions:

a) Submitting a proposal

b) Sending a message in a workroom for a job in progress

c) Logging into the site 3 consecutive days in a row

As I mentioned in #3, any of these qualifying actions should reset the user's inactivity timer, preventing the account from being deactivated in the first place, too.

Community Leader
Jerry J Member Since: Jul 25, 2016
30 of 43

Great initiative! Here are my two cents, or five... 

1 - Is setting profiles to private after a certain number of days without earnings reasonable? Yes.

2 - If you agree that it is reasonable to set profiles to private at some point, is 30 days a reasonable time period? Nope.

3 - If you don't think 30 days is reasonable, what would be a more reasonable time period? 60 days minimum.

4 - Is the current system of re-activating profiles adequate? It's okay, but contacting support can be a pain. 

5 - If you do not think the current system of re-activating profiles is adequate, what don't you like about it and how could it be improved? Maybe allow people who go private for the very first time to set it back themselves? Second time, mandatory chat with CS or opt for FL Plus. Reasonable enough?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS