cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we get on the same page about profiles going private?

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
31 of 43

@Tiffany S wrote:

Reading the most recent thread about profiles being set to private, it occurred to me that perhaps part of the reason we keep having the same conversations again and again and many complain that Upwork doesn't listen is that we rarely give them something clear to act on. With a thousand opinions in play, there's not much to report back except "a lot of people are upset" or "some people like it, some hate it."

When the new forum format was rolled out, pretty much everyone who posted had a negative opinion and it was quickly switched back.

What if, instead of voicing a thousand different versions of objection to profiles being set to private, dozens or hundreds of people got on the same page about what worked and what didn't and presented a coherent message to Upwork's management?

No idea whether this will work in this format, but let's give it a try. If you're game to weigh in and try to identify our points of mass agreement, please answer these questions, with numbers, to make it simple to aggregate:

1 - Is setting profiles to private after a certain number of days without earnings reasonable? (Yes or No)

Yes.

2 - If you agree that it is reasonable to set profiles to private at some point, is 30 days a reasonable time period? (Yes or No)

No. 

3 - If you don't think 30 days is reasonable, what would be a more reasonable time period? 

I initially suggested 90 days in the announcement thread but that may be too long.

4 - Is the current system of re-activating profiles adequate? (Yes or No)

No? I don't know for sure but it seems not based on threads.

5 - If you do not think the current system of re-activating profiles is adequate, what don't you like about it and how could it be improved?

N/A

(Edited to adopt Petra's better wording for question 1)

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
32 of 43

Bumping this for those of you might have missed it.  Please take a few moments to  make your opinions known.  

Thanks again to Tiffany -

Community Guru
Steven E. L Member Since: May 5, 2015
33 of 43

Tiffany S wrote: stuff....

This is brilliant!

1. Is setting profiles to private after a certain number of days without earnings reasonable? (Yes or No)? YES

2. If you agree that it is reasonable to set profiles to private at some point, is 30 days a reasonable time period? (Yes or No)? NO

3. If you don't think 30 days is reasonable, what would be a more reasonable time period? 60 days

4. Is the current system of re-activating profiles adequate? (Yes or No)? NO

5. If you do not think the current system of re-activating profiles is adequate, what don't you like about it and how could it be improved?

Requiring intervention from a CSR is a complete and utter waste of the most valuable and costly resource Upwork has - human capital. Given the segregation of customer service tiers available to different Freelancers, it has already been established that customer service resources are limited.

Allow Freelancers to toggle their visibility in the exact same manner which is currently available for voluntary changes to visibility. The song-and-dance of buttons, forms, and/or other interaction with CSRs to toggle visibility is obviously confusing and inefficient.

If a Freelancer is actively using the platform to search for work or is between large milestone payments they will take appropriate action of their own volition to switch their profile visibility.

If a Freelancer is not earning because they are idle for personal reasons or have otherwise abandoned the platform, there will not be any adverse impact on other Freelancers who are "active" in any sense of the word.

Community Guru
Kholleras I Member Since: Nov 24, 2015
34 of 43

@Tiffany S wrote:

1 - Is setting profiles to private after a certain number of days without earnings reasonable? (Yes or No)

Yes

2 - If you agree that it is reasonable to set profiles to private at some point, is 30 days a reasonable time period? (Yes or No)

No

3 - If you don't think 30 days is reasonable, what would be a more reasonable time period? 

60–90 days

No

5 - If you do not think the current system of re-activating profiles is adequate, what don't you like about it and how could it be improved?

It wastes CS' and freelancer's time. Let us set our own profiles back to public and automatically send notification to CS if they must be involved.

Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
35 of 43

1 - Is setting profiles to private after a certain number of days without earnings reasonable? (Yes or No)        Yes

2 - If you agree that it is reasonable to set profiles to private at some point, is 30 days a reasonable time period? (Yes or No)     No

3 - If you don't think 30 days is reasonable, what would be a more reasonable time period?      90 days           (Many of us:  are quite selective, are part time, have income sources in addition to Upwork, have much       "life" other than Upwork...)   

4 - Is the current system of re-activating profiles adequate? (Yes or No)     No

5 - If you do not think the current system of re-activating profiles is adequate, what don't you like about it and how could it be improved?     My Profile has been set Private twice now.  The first time it was very quickly switched back.  However, the most recent time I was notified it'd be switched back within 72 hours; it took nearly 72 hours which I believe to be absolutely outrageous.  This leads me to believe that they're having difficulty in keeping up with the requests.  If the time frame would be changed to 90 days instead of 30 days, that would remedy much of this.  

Ace Contributor
Zelimir T Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
36 of 43

Yes

No

45 days if no activity whatsoever (the account haven't been logged in for that time period)

60 days if active but no earnings

No

Adding a button for a freelancer to request a reactivation.

By this I don't mean giving an option for a freelancer to activate the profile by her/himself,

but rather to inform the CS that the freelancer wants the profile activated.

This could potentially save time for CS by removing the need of exchanging messages back and forth, but still leave the time to manually review the profile if needed (I am referring to what Petra wrote a few messages above)

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
37 of 43

I can see why 45 days might not work because of billing cycles but 60 days would accommodate this.

Darrell H Member Since: Apr 19, 2017
38 of 43

1. Yes

2. No

3. 45-60 days

4. No

5. Enable freelancer to reactivate with simple click of a button

Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
39 of 43

As Wendy previously did, I'm bumping this again...  It's too important and impacts too many to become an issue that "falls through the cracks..."  

Community Guru
Steven E. L Member Since: May 5, 2015
40 of 43

This is one of the most cooperative community driven threads ever written in these forums.

Quite a shame to see it /ignored.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS