cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we make UpWork a bit better for Freelancers?

ralphiedee
Ace Contributor

I like many others came to UpWork from Elance. Rather than go into what can be better about UpWork I would at least make a suggestion about making the site a bit better for freelancers for instance.

When freelancers see a job of interest and they open the link we see how many freelancers bid on the job ( approx) when the job has 10 to 15 bids within 1 minute of posting I personally never bid because I have posted jobs here looking for freelancers when I have to sub contract and after the first 5 I rarely look at the rest. But in the message that the clinet gets when freelancers bid there is a lot of info on the bidding client so the client can choose based on the experience number of jobs and portfolio ites to name a few.

Getting back to the freelancers side, is why don't you guys have a click thru with a list of the freelancers who bid on a job where you can actually see more info of the other bidders? This was a great feature on Elance because it allowed the freelancer to view who was bidding, what score they had and basically who they were up against. With that info the freelancer may want to bid even though there are 10 to 15 bids because 9 of them could be from new freelancers or lower scoring freelancers. 

is this asking to much?

R

7 REPLIES 7
lysis10
Community Guru

They took it away cuz you don't need it to bid.

@Jennifer M wrote:

They took it away cuz you don't need it to bid.

Jennifer's not wrong.

Knowing how much others bid on a particular job doesn't magically mean you can afford (or would want to, given your value as a professional in X industry or a X job) to offer lower rates for your work.

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru

Ralph wrote, "I have posted jobs here looking for freelancers when I have to sub contract and after the first 5 I rarely look at the rest."

Then you're either very lucky, have low standards, or post jobs almost anyone can do because there is no guarantee any of the first five applicants will even be qualified, given many applicants don't read job descriptions or don't know enough English to understand a description,

Low standards or **Edited for Community Guidelines**p. I'm going with the latter. It's a theme on here.

Out of 50 proposals, there might be 2 qualified good ones.

tlsanders
Community Guru

@Ralph D wrote:

Getting back to the freelancers side, is why don't you guys have a click thru with a list of the freelancers who bid on a job where you can actually see more info of the other bidders? This was a great feature on Elance because it allowed the freelancer to view who was bidding, what score they had and basically who they were up against. With that info the freelancer may want to bid even though there are 10 to 15 bids because 9 of them could be from new freelancers or lower scoring freelancers. 

is this asking to much?

R

I think it's asking too much. I don't think it's any of your business what I'm bidding. That's actually one of the reasons I abandoned another freelancing site after making just a couple of bids.

On Elance, as here, nobody ever saw the  individual bids, but you could see who had bid, as you could on oDesk (and briefly, on Upwork).

The bid amount was and is an average between the lowest and the highest - so nobody is really any the wiser.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS