🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can we still work even if outside the country...
Page options
joahnamarie26
Community Member

Can we still work even if outside the country that we registered in our location in upwork?

I just wanna ask if it does not affect my profile when we work outside our registered country. Since we prefer bringing our work everywhere we go mostly out of town but planning also an out of the country trip. I just want to clarify this because I bring my laptop even if im on travel. Thanks!
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Joahna:

There are two aspects of Upwork's official policies and positions that relate to your question:

1) Upwork requires that you post truthful information on your profile about where you live. But Upwork does NOT require that you change your profile when you are taking a trip, going on vacation, etc.

[Upwork does NOT have a SPECIFIC amount of time. Let's put it this way: If you are going to be Paris for the next 14 months... that's not REALLY an "out of country trip", right? Use your judgment.]

2) Upwork's official policy is that you are allowed to use Upwork no matter what country you are in, as long as that country isn't banned by the U.S. State Dept. (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria or the region of Crimea) AND if you are ALLOWED by that country's laws and your status to work.

But Upwork is NOT going to answer specific questions about your legal ability to work in a country.

So MY STRONG RECOMMENDATION is to not ask specific questions along those lines here, because Upwork can't give you information and will only tell you to consult local legal authorities and experts, who know your specific situation.

Right now, we don't know where you live, we don't know your citizenship, we don't know where you are planning to go. But regardless of the answers to those qustions:

YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO WORK THERE

But also:

You ARE ALLOWED TO WORK THERE.

Both statements are true. It depends on the specifics of your visa status, passport, country of origin, legal history, bank balance, current income, current job, current marital status, educational history, travel history, travel plans, type of work, and other things too numerous to list here. It depends on which immigration expert you talk to, and which customs enforcement agent you get screened by when you enter the country. It may depend on what the customs official had for lunch.

Honestly? A lot of people just look up stuff for themselves and come to their own conclusions about whether or not to work when they travel.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

Joahna:

There are two aspects of Upwork's official policies and positions that relate to your question:

1) Upwork requires that you post truthful information on your profile about where you live. But Upwork does NOT require that you change your profile when you are taking a trip, going on vacation, etc.

[Upwork does NOT have a SPECIFIC amount of time. Let's put it this way: If you are going to be Paris for the next 14 months... that's not REALLY an "out of country trip", right? Use your judgment.]

2) Upwork's official policy is that you are allowed to use Upwork no matter what country you are in, as long as that country isn't banned by the U.S. State Dept. (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria or the region of Crimea) AND if you are ALLOWED by that country's laws and your status to work.

But Upwork is NOT going to answer specific questions about your legal ability to work in a country.

So MY STRONG RECOMMENDATION is to not ask specific questions along those lines here, because Upwork can't give you information and will only tell you to consult local legal authorities and experts, who know your specific situation.

Right now, we don't know where you live, we don't know your citizenship, we don't know where you are planning to go. But regardless of the answers to those qustions:

YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO WORK THERE

But also:

You ARE ALLOWED TO WORK THERE.

Both statements are true. It depends on the specifics of your visa status, passport, country of origin, legal history, bank balance, current income, current job, current marital status, educational history, travel history, travel plans, type of work, and other things too numerous to list here. It depends on which immigration expert you talk to, and which customs enforcement agent you get screened by when you enter the country. It may depend on what the customs official had for lunch.

Honestly? A lot of people just look up stuff for themselves and come to their own conclusions about whether or not to work when they travel.

is japan banned form the us?

you could literally google this

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members