🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can writers add items to the portfolio sectio...
Page options
alexis_pellek
Community Member

Can writers add items to the portfolio section of profile?

I have some PDFs of articles I've written in the past. Is there a way to upload those to my profile?

I'm trying to get my profile to 100% completion and according to this page I should be able to add items to the portfolio on the profile.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063188-Create-a-100-Complete-Freelancer-Profile?flas...

I tried to do that and was asked to create a specialized profile. I did that, but was still not given the chance to upload PDFs. The specialized profile wanted to associate past Upwork jobs with it, but they had nothing to do with the speciality. I deleted the specialized profile because it makes no sense to have it if I can't show relevant work.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Alexis

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Alexis,

This is by design, you won't be able to upload a new portfolio item without selecting a related Specialized profile. If you don't want a portfolio item to show on a Specialized profile, you can go to that profile's portfolio section, select the pencil icon in the upper right corner and then un-select that item from the list. This will remove that item only from that Specialized profile but not from the General one.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Alexis, 

I was unable to replicate your issue. When I tried adding a portfolio item to a Specialized Profile, the "Related Upwork job" is showing as optional, and I can select the option "No job selected." Is this option available on your end?

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 2.06.10 PM.png

~ Avery
Upwork

There's no option for "no job selected" but I can simply press save and
continue without selecting any of the previous Upwork jobs. (see attached
screen shot)

What I don't see is where I can add a portfolio item. I have some PDFs that
show my writing samples. Where can I add those?

I'm doing all this to get 100% completion on my profile so I can get into
the rising talent program.

Thanks,
Alexis

Hi Avery,

I was able to upload a PDF to my specialized profile. I didn't realize that I had to save the specialized profile first, and then add portfolio items.

Is there a way to add portfolio items to a writer's general profile?

Thanks
Alexis

Hi Alexis,

This is by design, you won't be able to upload a new portfolio item without selecting a related Specialized profile. If you don't want a portfolio item to show on a Specialized profile, you can go to that profile's portfolio section, select the pencil icon in the upper right corner and then un-select that item from the list. This will remove that item only from that Specialized profile but not from the General one.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi Bojan,

Thanks, I think I understand now. It was pretty confusing trying to figure it out. I wish there were some instructions or tooltips that popped up because the process wasn't obvious.

When I started trying to add the PDFs, I had had a draft profile for voice acting--totally different from the topic of the PDFs. But when trying to add the article PDFs, they were defaulting into the voice acting specialized profile. I wasn't able to deselect the voice acting profile. So I deleted that profile. Then tried to add the PDFs to my general profile portfolio, which isn't an option. So then I created a specialized profile in technical writing, and when I was filling that out, didn't see the portfolio section. Finally I figured out that I needed to save and publish the technical writing special profile and THEN add the PDFs of the previous articles.

That was a very confusing journey to simply add PDFs to my profile.

Thanks to you and Avery for your help though!

Alexis

e31ecd8d
Community Member

Hi Bojan,

you have elaborated the method how can we add portfolio only in general profile but not in specialized but i am facing issue now to add portfolio in specialized profile only but not in general. so how can i add portfolio in specialized profile only ?

Hi Tahir,

The steps are pretty much the same as adding a portfolio item on your general profile. You will need to go to your Specialized profile, click the plus sign under the portfolio section and follow the steps on your end. 

If you're experiencing any problems on your end, please share more details so that I can assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Goran,

i am facing problem in adding portfolio in specialized profile. when i add some item in portfolio of specialized profile, it is also showing in general profile that i don't want. when i want to delete from general profile portfolio that item deleted from both profiles general and specialized.
so help me how can i add porfolio in only specialized profile ? this should not be added in general profile. find screenshot as well where pop up box showing to delete item from all profiles.

Thanks

Hi Tahir,

This is by design, you won't be able to upload a new portfolio item without selecting a related Specialized profile. Your portfolio items will be published on your general and your Specialized profiles.

If you don't want a portfolio item to show on a Specialized profile, you can go to that profile's portfolio section, select the pencil icon in the upper right corner and then un-select that item from the list. This will remove that item only from that Specialized profile but not from the General one. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members