cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you ever take work transactions off of Upwork?

Aleah W Member Since: Jan 12, 2017
1 of 10
I understand contracts started on Upwork need to be paid on Upwork, but are there rules against a client and freelancer taking their professional relationship off Upwork entirely after the initial job is done? Or will any kind of financial transaction between each party's attached bank account risk their Upwork account being suspended after making contact through the site? Just a hypothetical question.
Community Guru
Nia G Member Since: May 3, 2016
2 of 10

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068168-What-is-Upwork-s-Opt-Out-Fee-?mobile_site=tru...

As stated in the link, it would be good to review the TOS to get a clear understanding of what you can and can't do as far as this goes. There's a pretty thorough explanation there. 

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
3 of 10

Hi Aleah, 

Taking work off the platform is prohibited by the Upwork Terms of Use. If you would like to opt-out of the Terms of Use, you and your client may pay the opt-out fee. You may read more about it by visiting the Upwork Terms of Use I have shared above and going to Section 7. Non-Circumvention.

-Avery
Untitled
Ace Contributor
Karen B Member Since: Apr 12, 2019
4 of 10

Where is that in the Terms of Service?  I have a client who established a contract, and Escrow, and paid through Upwork, but wanted to send work through email.  At first I agreed, because I couldn't find anything in the Terms of Service prohibiting it, and the client has been with Upwork since 2014, with multiple clients.  But then I felt uncomfortable about it, and did find an article "Avoiding Malware & Phishing" that says that taking communication or work off of Upwork is against the Terms of Service.  I went back to the Terms of Service and still couldn't find it anywhere.    So, now I'm in an awkward position -- I'm not sure if this is legit or not.  

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
5 of 10

Hi Karen,

Communicating outside of Upwork is not a violation of our TOS and your more than welcomed to use the method that best fits yours and your client needs.
Accepting or offering to get paid outside of Upwork is a violation of our TOS. If you have any additional questions let me know. Thank you.

Untitled
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 10

You can communicate and send work back and forth however you like.

It is only the payment that needs to be done via the site.

Oh course the client can send work through email. It would be insane and ttally impractical to try and communicate only through Upwork messenger.

Ace Contributor
Karen B Member Since: Apr 12, 2019
7 of 10

OK, thanks for clarifying that.  I wasn't sure what was meant by this statement in the "Avoiding Phishing" article:   "Circumvention: When a client is requesting to take work or payment off Upwork, it is not only against the Upwork Terms of Service"..."

It just seemed like exchanging files via email might be considered taking the work off of Upwork.  Plus, it leaves me without recourse if the client says I didn't deliver.

Community Guru
Heather H Member Since: May 9, 2011
8 of 10

Karen B

When it comes to deliverables, upload the work in the cloud, such as google docs or google drive, get the sharable link, and then send that link via the message center, that way you have a final record of the work being delivered even though the workflow happens via email. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 10

Dropbox

Email

FTP

Google Drive

Microsoft One Drive

WeTransfer

USB thumb drive

etc.

Upwork DOES NOT CARE how you exchange files.

Upwork has no rules against communicating with clients off-site.

Just keep all money exchange/payments on the platform.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
10 of 10

Karen B wrote:

OK, thanks for clarifying that.  I wasn't sure what was meant by this statement in the "Avoiding Phishing" article:   "Circumvention: When a client is requesting to take work or payment off Upwork, it is not only against the Upwork Terms of Service"..."

It just seemed like exchanging files via email might be considered taking the work off of Upwork.  Plus, it leaves me without recourse if the client says I didn't deliver.

Yes, this use of "work" is ambiguous. I would offer an edit, but I don't do that for free. Smiley Wink

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS