🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Can you take a different type of work for a c...
Page options
mccollumnina
Community Member

Can you take a different type of work for a client off Upwork?

I'm relatively new to the site but understand the prohibition against taking work off the site, and am glad for the protections the site provides. However, I'm wondering if it's permissible to take completely unrelated work for a client without going through the Upwork site?

For example - I am a writer, my work and profile here on the site is related to writing. Let's say I did writing for a local restaurant, and then after we got to know each other, they offered me a regular PT job as their accountant or as the restaurant's schedule coordinator. They don't want to have to go through the site for this job and I don't either. Is this permissible?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nina M wrote:

Even if it's not work that Upwork does or that is related to my profile? I understand if it was for the same work, but a completely different kind of work, like waitressing? There is no profile for that. They can't hire me for waitressing on Upwork.

Sure they can hire you for waitressing on Upwork.

The payments for your waitressing or whatever have to be paid through Upwork

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Nina M wrote:

Let's say I did writing for a local restaurant, and then after we got to know each other, they offered me a regular PT job as their accountant or as the restaurant's schedule coordinator. They don't want to have to go through the site for this job and I don't either. Is this permissible?

No. For two years any work you do with a client, or anyone that client recommends you to, has to go through the site (unless the client wants to buy you out which costs the greater of $ 3500 or 25% of your yearly salary.

Even if it's not work that Upwork does or that is related to my profile? I understand if it was for the same work, but a completely different kind of work, like waitressing? There is no profile for that. They can't hire me for waitressing on Upwork.

Nina M wrote:

Sure they can hire you for waitressing on Upwork.

The payments for your waitressing or whatever have to be paid through Upwork

K, thx.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members