🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Cancel contract in a way without affectin...
Page options
dantehoroiwa
Community Member

Cancel contract in a way without affecting me my review on upwork.

Hello I have a problem with a customer, he made a contract of $ 100 as a fixed price , $ 20 for each milestone.

But he would like to finishg the contract only paying me one milestone. And we would like to find a way that does not affect my profile with a poor review, is there any way to finish the contract without affecting my review on upwork /status ? I´m currently 94% sucessfull, it will change after that?

if you know a good way for this, please let me know. He is able to give me a good feeback, only plans have changed.

9 REPLIES 9
JoanneP

Hi Dante, 

Sorry to hear about your experience with this client. In the future, we'd recommend that before you accept an offer, clearly discuss the scope of the project and the rate for the job with the client to avoid any misunderstandings that often result to a negative feedback.

In this case, you are working on a fixed price project. The client sets up a milestone for every task. If this is a single task, you can inform the client that you will be submitting a portion of the work you've done and will be submitting the rest as soon as the payment that has been agreed upon is completely set. As you've mentioned, the client has given you a positive feedback. This positively affects your Job Success Score. Let us know if you have other questions, we're here to help. Thanks!

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi Joanne,

Thanks for writing.

What's going to happen if he finishs the  contract paying only one milestone? Is it possible to finish the contract without not paying the total of the fixed price and still have a positive feedback?

What should I do in this case? He wants to finish the contract. Please let me know.

Thanks

Hi Dante,

The client can end the contract. Milestones are a way to divide the fixed-price job into a series of deliverables based on the client's needs. As you have confirmed on your initial post in this thread, the client has already provided a positive feedback. Once the contract has ended, the client can submit a feeback and the option to leave a feedback for your client is also available to you. To learn more about getting paid for fixed-price contracts, kindly read this help article. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Dante, you are worrying about this for no reason at all.

Closing a contract before all milestones are done has no impact on JSS.

If you are paid for only one, that is fine. If you are paid only partially, that is fine.

I think you only need to earn one dollar, and there will be no negative impact from the contact due the reason you might have heard of: zero-pay contracts.

9dec7a02
Community Member

This is unfortunately one of the terrible things about Upwork. Bad clients get to screw over freelancers with bad reviews, even when good work was done.

re: "This is unfortunately one of the terrible things about Upwork. Bad clients get to screw over freelancers with bad reviews, even when good work was done."

The original poster is not dealing with a bad client or a bad review. His question was about how JSS is impacted by a fixed-price contract ending before all planned milestones were completed.

Hi Preston,

Thank you very much for replying to me.

Now the client doesn't want to pay the milestone anymore, he seems very confusing, and doesn't know exactly what he wants.  So if he cancel the contract withou paying anything it will not affect my JSS?
And it will not appear on my profile?
Unfortunately it was a bad experience for me , I really  hope it does not affect my JSS. I had a great feedback so far and completed all the jobs successfully, it will be my first canceled job.

Dante H wrote:

Now the client doesn't want to pay the milestone anymore, he seems very confusing, and doesn't know exactly what he wants.

You did the work, so you should get paid for it unless the work was poor.

Dante H wrote:

So if he cancel the contract withou paying anything it will not affect my JSS?

Yes, it most likely will affect your JSS as the client can't be totally thrilled with the way things went.

Dante H wrote:

And it will not appear on my profile?

If nothing has been paid it will not be seen on your profille

I do not know the client's side of this story and I will not comment on the original poster's situation in this post. I will only speak generally.

If a client hires a freelancer to do a multi-milestone fixed-price contract, then the client has the right to end the contract at any time.

But if the freelancer did work, the client needs to pay for that work.

If the freelancer did a task for which the milestone payment is twenty dollars, the client needs to pay twenty dollars.

If the freelancer did the work, but the client does not like it then the client still needs to pay the money. If the client does not love the work, then end the contract. Don't continue with the other milestones.

But the client can not commission work from a freelancer and then simply not pay after the task has been done.

That is NOT what refunds are for. That is NOT how Upwork is meant to be used. That is a sign of a bad client and a bad person.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths