🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Cancel the job
Page options
carsonvo
Community Member

Cancel the job

Hi everyone, 
I'm working for a client. But he asked me to do a lot (wasn't like the requirements in the contract). How I can cancel the job? 

Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 12.34.50.png

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Thanh V wrote:

But why isn't Give a refund?
If I end the contract, The client will give me bad feedback.

You've not been paid anything, so there is no option to refund. The money in Escrow will go back to the client.  As a nothing paid contract it will not show on your profile.  Do be aware that the client can still give you poor private feedback, which will affect your metrics and the contract will count as an unsuccessful contract.

It is likely that you will lose your Rising Talent status.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
petra_r
Community Member

Thanh V wrote:

I'm working for a client. But he asked me to do a lot (wasn't like the requirements in the contract). How I can cancel the job? 

Go to My Jobs > Active Milestones , open the contract, click on the three dots on the right and select "end contract".

end contract.png

carsonvo
Community Member

Hi Petra R,

Thank you for your reply.

petra_r
Community Member

Thanh V wrote:

You've not been paid anything, so there is no option to refund. The money in Escrow will go back to the client.  As a nothing paid contract it will not show on your profile.  Do be aware that the client can still give you poor private feedback, which will affect your metrics and the contract will count as an unsuccessful contract.

It is likely that you will lose your Rising Talent status.

carsonvo
Community Member

Thank you Petra,
It seem I have to try to continue to work with unfair job.

petra_r
Community Member

Thanh V wrote:

You don't. You can set boundaries within which you will do the work originally agreed upon. 

Frankly I don't understand why you accepted the contract in the first place, when only $ 5 is funded....

carsonvo
Community Member

Becasue finding a job is difficult. And I'm trying to be TopRated. It's maybe crazy with me LOL. Finally I've decided to completed the job. I don't want to lost the Rasing Talent badge, lost my trying for a long time.
Thank you for your help. 

Petra R wrote:

Thanh V wrote:

You don't. You can set boundaries within which you will do the work originally agreed upon. 

Frankly I don't understand why you accepted the contract in the first place, when only $ 5 is funded....

Because we cannot see how much has been funded. We know the budget and whether the payment method has been verified, but that's all. I checked it yesterday.

With me,
For the "Fixed price" projects, I hope that there will be 1 more status to protect freelancers if the clients ask them to do more thing. 

petra_r
Community Member

Thanh V wrote:

For the "Fixed price" projects, I hope that there will be 1 more status to protect freelancers if the clients ask them to do more thing. 

There is. It's called you saying "Sure, I can do that for you, the cost is $ XX and as soon as you have set up a funded milestone for it, I'll be more than happy to do it!"

carsonvo
Community Member

After the client setup the first milestone, then he asks you do more things. What should you do? 

It brings to my memory my darkest times as freelancer, at de feginning on my career on Upwork: I had had an hourly contract, and i said to myself wow, now much money. But I didn't take care of doing what the client needed on time, and he ended up cancelling my contract. I felt like the end of world. I had gotten tho invites, one for a $55 project, with work enough for a week, and other project with a first $75, milestone but that was building a web server in Python with a cryptocurrency wallet backend in Node.js.

Trying to make a good number for the next week end, i accepted both. One job jeopardized another, and to the case that after some time one of the clients ended the contract angrily without feedback, releasing me only the first milestone ($5 one) and the other contract took me 3 months to have it OK. All that time I regreted having started that contracts instead of waiting for some fairer contract, but I thought that if I simply ended the contracts their feedback could affect my Job Sucess Score. So I refrained to do so, but I took the lesson: not the first job proposal is the same, one have to say no to the jobs if you have some adverse gut-feeling.

Jennifer R wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Thanh V wrote:

Because we cannot see how much has been funded. We know the budget and whether the payment method has been verified, but that's all. I checked it yesterday.

Huh? You see it in the offer? Or at least I do......

what is funded.png

Petra R wrote:
Jennifer R wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Thanh V wrote:

Huh? You see it in the offer? Or at least I do......

what is funded.png

You do not see it if you get paid by project unless you go back into you messages. Is also does not tell you if several milestones are funded, if the job is splitt into multiple milestones.

wrote:

You do not see it if you get paid by project unless you go back into you messages. Is also does not tell you if several milestones are funded, if the job is splitt into multiple milestones.

But if you get paid by project there is one milestone. The example above is a project (one milestone)

I've just gone through my last several offers and can see the funded amount in every one of them.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members