🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Cancelled Contract
Page options
adilalich
Community Member

Cancelled Contract

Hi, this is my first time writing to the community. I am only 40 or so days old on Upwork, and as a beginner I have done relatively well.

I agreed to take a contract worth $35, and delivered the work soon to the client but the client wasn't responsive (I specifically told the client I'd need him to be online to verify). I had to leave for a few days, and I told the client about my situation to which he agreed saying this isn't a time sensitive job. When I left (Only had my phone with me), the client cancelled the contract, and asked me to refund the amount which I did (I shouldn't have).

Client told me he has hired someone else to complete the job, and the job has been completed. I still had client's credentials for a specific platform so I checked what was "fixed" in the work I did but to my amazement, everything was the same.

I don't care for $35 or the time I put in but a cancelled contract has hit me bad. My JSS has dropped considerably. How long would it take me to take that particular contract out of the equation? 

10 REPLIES 10
prestonhunter
Community Member

I never tell a client he has to be online to approve something.

I am working for the client, not the other way around. The client's schedule is his business.

There is no "client approval" necessary.

When I take on a fixed-price contract, then I have all of the information and input files necessary to complete the task. I do the work and then submit it using the official "Submit Work and Request Payment" button.

If the client is not around and does absolute nothing, then all of the money in escrow gets released to me automatically.

You said that you did the work and you sent it to the client.

It does not make sense to me why the client asked for a refund.

Would YOU ask for a refund if you:

- hired somebody to do a task for you

- they completed it quickly

- they sent you the completed project

- the amount was only $35

I don't think you would rip off a fellow human being in such a manner. Do you have any idea why this client asked for a refund?

Thank you for the quick reply. Client asked for a refund because he told me had hired someone else to finish the job but the final work was my work.

Client has to verify in my line of work where I have client's credentials for 1 platform but the platform has other platforms account linked to it. What's happened, happend. Can you tell me how long would it take to cancel the impact of a cancelled contract?

Adil A wrote:

Can you tell me how long would it take to cancel the impact of a cancelled contract?

Depending on your billing cycle calculation window, 6 months, 12 months or 2 years.

The thing is: Something must be missing in your story. The contract can only have had an impact on your JSS if the client left bad private feedback. Why do you think the client did that?

Petra R wrote:
Depending on your billing cycle, 6 months, 12 months or 2 years.

Can you elaborate on the billing cycle?

Client did me dirty that's all I am going to say. When he asked me politely to refund the amount, I abide. He also said this wouldn't hurt my chances on upwork but he must've left a poor private feedback like you've mentioned.

Adil A wrote:

Petra R wrote:
Depending on your billing cycle calculation window, 6 months, 12 months or 2 years.

Can you elaborate on the billing cycle calculation window?

Sorry, I used the wrong term. I meant "depending on your calculation window" - I apologize. Your JSS is the best of your 3 calculation windows which are 6 months, 12 months and 2 years.

So, obviously, as long as the contract is still inside the calculation window, it affects your JSS.

Hi, Petra

The client didn't hire me again. He cancelled the contract, and blocked me straightaway. 

If Upwork decides to radically limit clients' ability to ask for refunds, it will be because of preposterous client behavior like this.

I believe that Upwork knows that most "refund requests" issued by clients these days are baseless and inappropriate.

kinector
Community Member

Very sorry to hear this happened to you. 😬

Most clients are decent, good, and honorable as you have probably realized.

The best thing you could do is to raise your rates and screen the clients more carefully, with video calls.

There's no way any freelance platform can abolish all the spammers. Some are here to make money our of poor freelancers.

Bad luck, I guess. 😰

I truly hope you stay on this platform and keep up with the good work! 👍
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths