🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Cancelled contract and job success score
Page options
aliasadullah106
Community Member

Cancelled contract and job success score

Okay so here’s an interesting situation. I was hired by a client to work on a project and he created an initial milestone of lower amount. So he made a milestone but later told me he would need additional work along with first milestone. So I wanted him to update the milestone. Why I did not want to go to second milestone was because it was a library development for redistribution. And it was safe for me to work in a single milestone since I had to send the code for directly approval. The client however was unable to update existing milestone neither fund additional milestone(since it is required to complete first milestone before funding next)
So he opted to create a new contract and cancell the exiating one.
Now when he cancelled and hired me on new one. The cancelled contract dropped my success score by 4%
Why does it affect JSS ? And is there a possible resolve ?
12 REPLIES 12
lysis10
Community Member

yep, that's about right. Upwork no likey those $0 contracts I tell you what.

So silly on many levels, Why on earth they would do that ? I worked so hard to pull that over working on less money but it crashes for $0 contract. 

Because legitimate freelancers get to pay for the **edited for Community Guidelines** they let on the site.

kat303
Community Member

All the client had to do was to release the funds for the first milestone and then he could have created a second milestone in the same contract funding it for whatever amount that was agreed on. Or if that couldn't be done, he could have released the funds for the milestone, and closed the contract leaving you with (good I hope) feedback. Then create a new contract with the amount to be paid to you for the extra work.

It was rather change in the requirements, the client funded $20 and asked for work of $450 which I asked to fund since it’s a library code which once given I can’t claim anything. I asked cleint to release or pay $5 to move to next milestone. He insisted me to start work within this milestone but I told him this is Upwork’s guidelines and I can’t go without payment protection knowing that upwork won’t listen my claims if it wasn’t funded. I didn’t have any other way. He even did hire me on the second contract and that too is in my contracts and is about to finish.

Your JSS is still above 90% and Upwork can't create separate rules for every situation. Your client was just uncooperative and you will have to live with the consequences. If it bothers you a great deal, use your Top Rated perk to remove the canceled contract from your score. (That's the kind of situation that the Top Rated perk is for)

wp_track
Community Member

How to remove cancelled contract effect via Top Rated Badge Perk?  It's a silly question. But i asked because of your answer seems to have a solution. 

petra_r
Community Member

Shahid L wrote:

How to remove cancelled contract effect via Top Rated Badge Perk?   

Are you sure you need to? Do you have reason to believe that the client left poor private feedback?

If so:  Read here

wp_track
Community Member

I am dealing one of client and he cancelled the contract with previous freelancer and i am afraid he might do same with me or complete the project with poor feedback. Because he is not sure what he needs. I am working on his website from last 9 days. 

Ali A wrote:
He insisted me to start work within this milestone but I told him this is Upwork’s guidelines and I can’t go without payment protection knowing that upwork won’t listen my claims if it wasn’t funded.

The client will not have given good private feedback while closing the first contract.

A "nothing paid" contract with good private feedback does not hurt.

The clients was probably irritated about all the bickering.

Your mistake was to accept the contract in the first place if the requirements and the funded milestoe did not align.

Initial information on the job post was different than what he explained later. It was only mopub integration but later he told me that he wants to build the React Native library which indeed requires more time.

Hi hope everyone is doing great and Happy New Year.

There is an option to edit the milestone at the end of freelancer, so for any reason you wish to increase the total budget for the milestone, you can do that. The client Would Still Be expected to accept that renewed milestone.

Hope that might have helped ( judging from the dates of these thread, this feature was not present at the time)
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths