🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Cancelled contract
Page options
diaeddinbari
Community Member

Cancelled contract

Hi, community,

I hope you all doing fine.

I closed a contract after I complete all tasks but I never get paid.

I read that I will get paid in 21days, but after I’m closing it I found out that the contract canceled.

Then I contact the client and he also can’t release the milestone.

Could anyone please help with that?

Thanks 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Diaeddin,

Please note that any request for free work is not allowed on Upwork, and it is a TOS violation. You may want to check this post for the freelancer resources we compiled and tips for avoiding questionable jobs that we put together to help freelancers make decisions whether to work with a client or not. 

Feel free to check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content.

~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
petra_r
Community Member

Diaeddin A wrote:

Hi, community,

I hope you all doing fine.

I closed a contract after I complete all tasks but I never get paid.

I read that I will get paid in 21days, but after I’m closing it I found out that the contract canceled.

Then I contact the client and he also can’t release the milestone.

Could anyone please help with that?

Thanks 

Was it as fixed rate or an hourly contract?

Why did you close the contract?

If if was a fixed rate contract, did you submit the work through the proper "Submit for payment" function on the contract?

If it was an hourly contract, did you use the Upwork tracker?

Hi Petra,

Thanks for your reply.

It's a fixed price project.

I closed it coz the client didn’t respond.

Hi, same thing happened to me, I clicked to submit the contract and water 14 days, then I clicked to end the contract I selected the option that worked best, but it just ended the contract and the money didn't reflect for me.

Oluwatoni A wrote:
Hi, same thing happened to me, I clicked to submit the contract and water 14 days, then I clicked to end the contract I selected the option that worked best, but it just ended the contract and the money didn't reflect for me.

Then you did something wrong or didn't understand the steps correctly.

Was it a fixed rate contract?

Was it fully funded?

Did you use the "Submit for payment" function?

Did you wait until the milestone released and the funds moved to Pending on your Reports Overview?

If you ended the contract before the funds were released, you sent the funds back to the client. You will have agreed to do so as the system tells you that's what you're about to do. So either you sent the money back to the client, or you've been paid and just don't know it yet.

Which is it? 

prestonhunter
Community Member

Diaeddin:

You had a fixed-price contract.

When you finished the work, you were supposed to click on the "Submit Work and Request Payment" button attached to the contract.

If you did that, then one of two things would have happened:

- the client would have clicked a button on his side to release the payment to you

[or]

- if the client did nothing, then the money would have been automatically released to you after 14 days.

You are not supposed to "close" or "cancel" the contract before you get paid.

If you do that, it causes the milestone money funded in escrow to be refunded back to the client.

So... don't do that in the future.

For THIS contract, you CAN get paid. The client probably can't release the milestone money, because that was refunded back to him. It is no longer in escrow. But the client CAN send you an equivalent amount of money using the client-side "Send bonus" tool. The bonus tool can be used by a client AFTER a contract has been closed.

You don't need any help from Upwork Customer Support to do this. All you need to do is to tell the client to navigate to the contract listing, click on the "Three Dots" icon, and choose the "Send bonus" option.

Hi Preston,

Thanks for your reply.

I asked my client for the bonus.

I want to ask if the client didn’t respond what should I do?

Thanks 

Diaeddin A wrote:

If the client does not respond, that's the end of it.

In future you will submit the work the correct way (through the "Submit for payment" function) and then wait until the client releases the funds or you are paid automatically after 14 days, whichever comes first.

Diaeddin A wrote:

Hi Preston,

Thanks for your reply.

I asked my client for the bonus.

Thanks 

You closed a contract because the client didn't respond. 

Never do that. It is impolite, for one thing. Plus you risk not getting paid if you close it before you have been paid. Next problem is, even after getting paid, if you end a contract, you will not get feedback. That is bad because you need feedback for your rating. 

How would you feel if somebody closed a contract out of the blue? The client might have been busy. Or satisfied with your work and didn't see the need to talk to you. Or not interested to communicate with an inpatient person. 

So, lots of learnings for you here! Next time you will do better because now you know all these things. (You could have read the help section for newbies also to avoid all of this....)

Hi Martina,

Thanks for your advice,

As you can see I have enough rates and I'm Top-Rated.

But in this client, he was always asking for free works.

Hi Diaeddin,

Please note that any request for free work is not allowed on Upwork, and it is a TOS violation. You may want to check this post for the freelancer resources we compiled and tips for avoiding questionable jobs that we put together to help freelancers make decisions whether to work with a client or not. 

Feel free to check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content.

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths