🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Cant understand proposals...
Page options
sam_asghar
Community Member

Cant understand proposals...

Hello!

Problem:

I have been on Upwork for a month now and so far had only 3 clients who left good reviews. I don't seem to get any answers to my proposals anymore. I studied the proposal for existing 3 clients and couldn't find anything unusual in them. 

Approach:

I also looked at a ton of videos and write my proposals individually and short, including some of my work or examples of the idea.

What am I doing wrong? 

With Respect,
Sam.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Now the profile.  I view it as strong.  We try not to have multiple fundamental grammar errors in the first sentence of our bios.

My name is Sam and I am a graphic designer with a focus on Branding, Digital Design, Marketing, and SMM., based in Almaty, Kazakhstan.

- - -

To start, your bio provides your name.  Here's a do-over:

I am a graphic designer and focus on Branding, Digital Design, Marketing, and SMM.  I am based in Almaty, Kazakhastan and speak business-grade English and Russian.

- - -
There are more grammar errors in your bio.  It is your task to find them, fix them, and then win more work through perseverance.  That dude in the first picture has a special spirit.

So. Be him and compete to win with that special spirit.  Be Sam but write it right.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
joansands
Community Member

Sam - You got your first job in December 2019 so it's been more than a month - but you have done pretty well to get as many jobs as you have for a newcomer. However, your picture is bound to drive some people away.

Fixed it:)

Thank you! 

Do you think that as the only problem?

With Respect,
Sam.

That is a much better picture, Sam, but one with a smile would be even better. As for your profile writeup, many people will tell you that the first two sentences are the most important. Some clients will not read beyond that so you have to grab them immediately. I would advise you to take out all the personal stuff - for instance, you don't need to say your name is Sam because that is already at the top of the page. I believe you need to focus on exactly what you can offer a client. You should do the same in your proposals. Good luck.

Oh, apologies, I saw a respondant's picture and found it pleasant.  Let me respond to the actual poster's picture.

You ensure your competitors will have advantage in but the first look. 

Now the profile.  I view it as strong.  We try not to have multiple fundamental grammar errors in the first sentence of our bios.

My name is Sam and I am a graphic designer with a focus on Branding, Digital Design, Marketing, and SMM., based in Almaty, Kazakhstan.

- - -

To start, your bio provides your name.  Here's a do-over:

I am a graphic designer and focus on Branding, Digital Design, Marketing, and SMM.  I am based in Almaty, Kazakhastan and speak business-grade English and Russian.

- - -
There are more grammar errors in your bio.  It is your task to find them, fix them, and then win more work through perseverance.  That dude in the first picture has a special spirit.

So. Be him and compete to win with that special spirit.  Be Sam but write it right.

As both a freelancer and hiring client, I find your picture to be professional.  It indicates a maturity and kindness of appearance that is trust-building.  Perhaps a solid background.  Make it a family project and have family have fun posting it for you.  I found pleasure in that, after an aborted effort that posted a picture of really quite upsetting nature.

petra_r
Community Member

Sam A wrote:

Problem:

I have been on Upwork for a month now and so far had only 3 clients who left good reviews. I don't seem to get any answers to my proposals anymore. I studied the proposal for existing 3 clients and couldn't find anything unusual in them. 

Approach:

I also looked at a ton of videos and write my proposals individually and short, including some of my work or examples of the idea.

Sam, there isn't even necessarily anything wrong with your proposals, you are just in an incredibly competitive category.

Essentially, there are literally hundreds of thousands of people whose profiles claim that they are designers (most aren't, of course, they are people who have some piece of software or some app and think that makes them a designer...)

So you need to stand out, both with your profile, your portfolio and your proposal.

In the list of applicants or the search results, clients only see the first two lines, so use those to temp the client to read your proposals or open your profile.

Lose all the irrelevant stuff. Your name and your country are not unique selling points so they have no place in those vital first two lines. 

Experiment and stick with what works.

Be different to all the others. Make your proposals (especially the first 2 lines) and your profile (especially the first 2 lines) stand out. The best portfolio is of no use if no client ever sees it because they never bother to read your proposal (because the first 2 lines don't entice the client to read more) or open your profile.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members