🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Cashiers check
Page options
vivienan
Community Member

Cashiers check

Hello,

I am new to upwork. I applied for a job and the client contacted me. The client indicated that the coy pays with cashiers check. That is not my prefered payment method and I indicated same to client. I guess my question is, has anyone been payed using a cashiers check?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

It is a serious violation of Upwork TOS to accept payment by cashiers check. It is a serious violation to pay someone using a cashiers check.

All payments must go through Upwork itself.

Freelancers have been suspended simply for DISCUSSING accepting payment via cashiers check or non-Upwork method.

It is safe for you to ask questions here in the Forum about this topic. You will not be penalized for asking questions here.

You did the right thing when you told the prospective client that all payments must go through Upwork.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

It is a serious violation of Upwork TOS to accept payment by cashiers check. It is a serious violation to pay someone using a cashiers check.

All payments must go through Upwork itself.

Freelancers have been suspended simply for DISCUSSING accepting payment via cashiers check or non-Upwork method.

It is safe for you to ask questions here in the Forum about this topic. You will not be penalized for asking questions here.

You did the right thing when you told the prospective client that all payments must go through Upwork.

vivienan
Community Member

Thanks for your reply Preston H. That clears things out for me.

roberty1y
Community Member

In addition to what Preston said, you wouldn't get paid at all if you agreed to take a cheque. As soon as someone starts to talk about payment outside of Upwork, it's the first step in a scam. They then proceed to ask for a payment from you first under the pretext of a "security fee" or something similar. So, you lose your money and you may have your account terminated.

vivienan
Community Member

@Robet Y, eberything you said. That was why i was spooked and decided to ask before further engaging with the client.

vivienan
Community Member

Everything*

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths