cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catch 22 with unverified payment method

Ace Contributor
Stephen L V Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
1 of 6

Upwork warns that freelancers should avoid bidding on projects that don't have verified payment methods. It's bad enough that those projects exist and can be bid on in the first place. I do avoid them, but now I get an email from an Upwork agent encouraging me to apply for a specific job that has (you guessed it) no payment method verified. I feel like a puppy that has been named Stay.

"Come here, Stay"

All thanks to Steven Wright for the puppy joke,

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 6

Do they warn against it? That's weird. I bid on them. Depends on the job description though. It's risky but I have room for a bad score and I'll survive. I wouldn't worry until I get hit with 2 bad scores in a row.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 6

@Stephen L V wrote:

Upwork warns that freelancers should avoid bidding on projects that don't have verified payment methods.

Nope, they warn against WORKING on projects UNTIL the client has verified their payment method.

I have won projects with clients that had not verified their payment method at the time of posting and never had an issue. All we need to do is make sure the client verifies their payment method before getting started, and helping the client do so if needed.

Ace Contributor
4 of 6

All apologies. Please substitute the wrord "working" for "bidding". 

I have, at times, bid on such jobs. Each time I told the client that I would be happy to work with them once verified payment had been achieved.

It is a bit of a mixed signal however.

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
5 of 6

IMO, recommendations are pretty useless. Unless you have an actual invite from someone, you are better off seeking your own leads. 

Ace Contributor
6 of 6

Normally I'd agree with you Tonya, but after months of no invitations ( or invitations that didn't apply to my skill sets) and looking for my own leads, suddenly I am not only getting mostly appropriate invites (granted, maybe 1 or 2 a week), but my last 5 projects were all from invitations. None of the jobs that I applied to in the last 45 days or so resulted in a hire. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS