🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Caution: You May Be Wasting Your Connects
Page options
e0f4d708
Community Member

Caution: You May Be Wasting Your Connects

On occasion, I’ll submit a proposal for a project, and while I'm filling out the proposal fields, under "Activity on this job" I see "Hires: 1". Does this mean the client has already hired someone? Most of the time I'll finish writing my proposal and submit it anyway.

Well, today I asked UpWork's customer support if "Hired: 1" indicates the client has hired someone already. The representative looked into the example I provided and said the client did indeed hire someone for the project. Now, I ask, why is the project or job still listed and available when freelancers are still sending proposals using connects to do so? The UpWork rep stated that if I submitted a proposal not knowing the client has already hired someone, I would not be credited the connects used. This is completely unfair and wrong and needs to be changed. If a client has hired a freelancer for the job, PLEASE END OR TAKE DOWN THE LISTING.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but thousands of freelancers would agree with me. We don’t like wasting connects on jobs that have already been awarded. So, to help any other freelancers out there, don’t submit a proposal to a listing that says “Hired: 1”. You are wasting your connects and they won’t credit them back to you. Sorry, but this is purely bad policy.

2 REPLIES 2
roberty1y
Community Member

Hi Jeffrey. I've noticed this happening a lot. If the client has hired the number of people they advertised for, you're almost certainly wasting your time submitting a proposal (the only exception would be if they find a freelancer impossible to work with and come back to hire a replacement). 

Most of the time, clients who place ads forget about them. They're often still there days or weeks after they've found the person they need. Freelancers need to be careful not to waste their connects. Things can move fast on the site, and the job may be taken while they're writing the cover letter. You need to look at the number of hires for the job right before you hit the "submit proposal" button.

Hi Robert,

I've definitely experienced a job being taken as I'm writing my proposal. Not fun to spend valuable time crafting your proposal only to find the job is gone. No worries there, it's simply the luck of the draw.

I do think UpWork needs to implement some sort of triggered response within their site innards that simply takes down the listing or hides it from freelancers. This will save our connects, avoid any confusion, and not waste anyone's time. 

Thanks for your input!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members