🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Certificate Of Employment
Page options
melissadrew
Community Member

Certificate Of Employment

Is it possible to get a certificate of employment from Upwork? For legal purposes.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

@Melissa S wrote:

Is it possible to get a certificate of employment from Upwork? For legal purposes.

No, because you are not employed... You are a freelancer.

If you go to "Reports" then "More Reports" then scroll dowm and click on "Certificate of Earnings" you'll be able to download that, but it is not a certificate of employment. You do not work for Upwork, you work for yourself!

cert.jpg

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
petra_r
Community Member

@Melissa S wrote:

No, because you are not employed... You are a freelancer.

If you go to "Reports" then "More Reports" then scroll dowm and click on "Certificate of Earnings" you'll be able to download that, but it is not a certificate of employment. You do not work for Upwork, you work for yourself!

cert.jpg

Is it possible to get a certificate of employment in Upwork or in this case certificate of Earnings from the day I started working back when its in Odesk? meaning all of my earnings from the day I signed up and work as a freelancer

Hi Abbygale,

Unfortunately, the Certificate of Earnings can only be generated for last 12 months maximum. You can add other reports as a proof of your income such as Transaction History and Lifetime Billings by Client.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Or is it possible if freelancer request a Certification of Employment from their existing Upwork client? Did any freelancer try that already?

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mellisa,

I'm afraid we don't a "Certificate of Employment" for users on Upwork, because you are a freelancer that's using the Upwork platform to find work.

You do have access to a "Certificate of Earnings", which shows your earnings on Upwork for the last 12 months. You can find this document by going to your Reports tab > More Reports > scroll down to Certificate of Earnings (downloaded once clicked).

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hi there, I tried using this but I was not able to download the whole 12month earnings. May I know how to edit it? Right now, what my COE states is my work from June 1, 2021 - up to present. I would like it to reflect 12months. Need help. Thank you.

Hi Marymay,

The Certificate of Earnings report calculates your earnings for the past one, three, six, and twelve months based on the date selected. It also includes service fees. The date ranges cannot be adjusted. Here's the help article for more information. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
melissadrew
Community Member

I thought so... thanks.

researchediting
Community Member

Melissa,

Do any of your civic, provincial, or national authorities offer ways to register yourself as a business, so that you can certify your self-employment?

Good luck,

Michael

Thanks, I somehow found a way to solve my concern. 🙂

How can we get a certificate of employment?

Hi Claries,

At the moment we don't have a Certificate of Employment, you can only download your Certificate of Earnings. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
cathycatboom
Community Member

Good day,

Is there a way to obtain a letter that shows we work as a freelancer for a specific period?  Just proving that I was an independent contractor from 2016 to 2018? 

Also, can we as for a certificate of earnings for the period we use the platform? 

Thanks

Hi Catherine, 

I'm not sure if your first request is doable, but for your Certificate of Earnings request, I will escalate your concern to the Upwork Support Team so that they can reach out to you and assist you further. 

~ Avery
Upwork
milanchek
Community Member

Hello!

I would like the same as Catherine, to know if is possible to get proof of activity on the platform, the same as the certificate of earnings but for all activity, not just 12 months. Basically the document that shows our clients testimonials, no necesary it has to be with money earned, just that we were active, and that signed by Upwork with pdf. export! Thanks in advance!

Hi Milan,

We're not sure if this is possible but we’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ AJ
Upwork

Right. I'm looking for the same, and certificate of earnings is not good enough as ideally the document should not contain any earnings information; just a certification of work (perhaps just duration) on the platform, even if just for specific contracts. This way the information can be provided to prospective future employers without exposing your income.

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for reaching out. I understand that you need proof that you worked with a company through Upwork.

Upwork cannot provide a Certificate of Employment as this document is only for employees. Freelancers in the platform are not considered employees and Upwork only facilitates the payments. Instead, you can directly message your client to see if they can provide you with verification of employment or of services rendered.

The Certificate of Earnings only displays your earnings and will include your name, address, profile title, URL, and a statement explaining that you are a freelancer through our platform.

~ AJ
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths