🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Change contract type
Page options
lissahenige
Community Member

Change contract type

I recently completed work for a repeat client and just realized that he created an hourly contract instead of a milestone contract.  Is there a workaround for this or does he just need to cancel that contract and create a new one?  Thank you in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

The client would need to close the hourly contract and create a new fixed-price contract.

Preston H wrote:

The client would need to close the hourly contract and create a new fixed-price contract.

Is it intentional that you give her advice that you know fully well will damage her profile ("Nothing paid" contract?)

The best way (if it is a trusted repeat client as Lissa said) is to simply get paid as a bonus on the open hourly contract (the work is done anyway!) or log the equivalent of the agreed price as manual time.

Otherwise the client might be willing to pay you a small amount before closing the contract, and deduct that from the subsequent fixed price contract. ´But there really is no need to create a new contract in this case, especially not with a repeat client.

Hi Petra!

Thank you so much for responding. So I'm fairly new to Upwork and so far have not done an hourly contract.  I have already given him the finished work (just attached it to a message), can the client just pay me and close the contract or do I have to show hourly files in order for him to do that?

Lissa H wrote:

Hi Petra!

Thank you so much for responding. So I'm fairly new to Upwork and so far have not done an hourly contract.  I have already given him the finished work (just attached it to a message), can the client just pay me and close the contract or do I have to show hourly files in order for him to do that?

Hi Lissa, there are three ways to do this:

1. The client simply pays the sum agreed as a bonus and closes the contract. This is the best solution, does not damage your metrics, is easy and convenient for the client and gets you paid fastest.
  2. You add manual time to correspond to the price agreed. The client can then close the contract. This has the advantage of giving you "Upwork hour(s)" - but it takes longer to get paid.
  3. Preston's suggestion of closing the hourly contract and opening a new fixed price one, which is hassle for the client and results in a "nothing paid" contract which damages your metrics. So avoid that under any circumstances.

If you go for 1. - you don't have to do anything further, client pays and closes contract, you leave feedback, done.

There is no "protection" and you can't "force" the client to pay, but presumably that isn't an issue in this case.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members