🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Change hourly rate to a fixed price
Page options
anastasasiyal
Community Member

Change hourly rate to a fixed price

Hello! 

I have a new client that I haven't worked before.  

He created a job with hourly rate; and after discussion we agreed on fixed price. 

How he can change the working terms from hourly to fixed price. 

Does he need to end the job and re-hire me and propose new working terms with fixed rate? 

11 REPLIES 11
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Anastasiya,

Yes, since the switching from hourly to fixed-price contract is not possible, your Client can simply end the hourly job and rehire you changing the offer terms to a fixed-price contract. If do so, please discuss the new payment terms with your Client beforehand to avoid any inconveniences.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thank you!
rverang
Community Member

But wouldn't closing this hourly contract, without anything being paid (this is an assumption since she mentioned this is a brand new contract and then they renegotiated), might mean her losing her Rising Talent badge and eventually negatively affect her JSS once she gets one?

Bojan S wrote:

Hi Anastasiya,

Yes, since the switching from hourly to fixed-price contract is not possible, your Client can simply end the hourly job and rehire you changing the offer terms to a fixed-price contract. If do so, please discuss the new payment terms with your Client beforehand to avoid any inconveniences.

Thank you.

We dodn’t have an active contract yet.

You're safe then.

Anastasiya L wrote:
We didn’t have an active contract yet.

kat303
Community Member

Bojan S wrote:

Hi Anastasiya,

Thank you.

---------------

I echo what another freelancers has said. If the client ends the hourly contract wouldn't that count as a job with no money earned?

Bojan S wrote:

Hi Anastasiya,

Thank you.

Are you sure about this, Bojan? I read the OP as referring to a pre-contract negotiation state. Is not switching from hourly to fixed-price or vice versa possible, simple and reasonably obvious at that point?

Sorry about the confusion, Anastasiya. I double checked your account and it looks like there wasn't a contract for the hourly jobs, only an interview. The client then sent you an invite and later an offer for the fixed-price offer, you accepted it and should be all set now.

To clarify, if there is an active hourly contract in place, it can't be switched to fixed-price. The only way is to close it and initiate a new contract. However, as Michael pointed out, if there isn't a contract yet, the client can simply send a different invite or make changes to the offer.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
mtngigi
Community Member

Anastasiya L wrote:

Hello! 

I have a new client that I haven't worked before.  

He created a job with hourly rate; and after discussion we agreed on fixed price. 

How he can change the working terms from hourly to fixed price. 

Does he need to end the job and re-hire me and propose new working terms with fixed rate? 

What do you mean by "created a job". Did you receive an offer? If it's still in the offer stage, these links may help you:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062368-Switch-Contract-Type-Hourly-or-Fixed-Price

Client has "Withdraw Offer" and "Modify Offer" options on their View Offer page. The current offer would be withdrawn and a new one created with new terms.

5685e760
Community Member

How do I change my hourly rate to a fixed rate in profile as a freelancer in Upwork, please help.
petra_r
Community Member

Michael E wrote:
How do I change my hourly rate to a fixed rate in profile as a freelancer in Upwork, please help.

You can't. But you're free to simply not bid on hourly contracts.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members