cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes in Connect system, when ?

Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
91 of 123

Today's gobbledygook from the desk of LWM....

No offense MG, but the action that oDesk took that you described in your post (i.e., "oDesk started a policy [sic] of notifying contractors...."), was a "corrective action" taken at the lowest level as a result of a help system support ticket; a quick, one-time fix that DID NOT impact oDesk's "operational planning" at the "strategic" level.

Background

Typically, "policies" are "established and documented" at the "strategic" level, "procedures" at the "tactical" level, and "work instructions (guidelines)" at the "operational" level.

Assumption

Hence, the "corrective action" mentioned above was not implemented at the "strategic" level (e.g., policy) but at the "operational" level -- the lowest level of authority. At the "tactical" level a "procedure" should be implemented authorizing specific persons at the "operational" level to have taken such action.

Now, that's some gobbledygook!

References:

1) See Operational Planning http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operational_planning for a description of a two level (strategic and tactical) Operational Planning model. Many planning models exist. For instance, many describe planning based on three levels: strategic, tactical, and operational -- in that order (Google: strategic tactical operational pyramid).

2) See Sic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sic

3) See Corrective and Preventive Action http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrective_and_preventive_action

4) See gobbledygook http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gobbledygook (writing that is complicated and difficult to understand; often an exercise in obfuscation)

5) See Obfuscation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obfuscation

6) Ant http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ant

7) Operational Planning Model (image)

"If no one is making the strategic decisions for your business, your tactics and operations are ultimately aimless."

Image and Quote Courtesy of: Social Media Sun "Is Your Digital Marketing Tactical or Strategic?" http://socialmediasun.com/marketing-strategic-tactical/

In other words...without the gobbledygook....

Members are like ants living worldwide. The community is the colony. Members might be considered as "workers."

One Worker's Opinion: If anyone thinks for one moment that the workers can influence the queen and maybe a few drones (i.e., the policy makers) into making decisions affecting the colony worldwide at the strategic level, then, they are highly likely mistaken.

Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
92 of 123

Hi MG! OK, so eventually maybe oDesk will make some minor adjustments based  on their own findings and feedback from members. Still, I doubt they will do away with Connects altogether. Maybe it's just too early to know what will happen.

Ace Contributor
Zemi M Member Since: Mar 28, 2014
93 of 123

To be honest I wasn't impressed with the new system Connects but I have to say I notice some changes and this are good ones.

I am not sure how it is in other categories  but I am mostly working on research jobs and Customer Support and similar on the German market and before I was applying on jobs and had competitions from more then 50 freelancers on each job I applied, and the worst pat was that half of them didn't even speak German. Now they are gone.

Before this new system I mostly searched for long term jobs because I was sure the client would take extra time to revive the applicants and I have a real chance but since connects I applied to some jobs (short term 1-2 weeks duration) and I can't believe it but I got them (all because only 10-15 applicants applied and the client had time to revive all of us).

From time connects started I got 3 new contracts and I think it is really working at least in my category. 

Maybe oDesk needs just to change the Connect System a little bit more like revive some portfolio for designers and if they truly belong to the freelancer (we all know that many freelancer use portfolio items that didn't belong to them) the freelancers should get more Connects and the one who don't have their portfolio items they should get a lower rate Connect until they made a name on oDesk and get an opportunity to prove their skills. 

Just a suggestion Smiley Happy 

Community Leader
Bob H Member Since: Feb 18, 2009
94 of 123

It obviously makes sense that you would see less applicants.  People that used to waste them, aren't wasting them anymore.  Unfortunately, in my case and in my fields, the connects system is killing me.  

Plus, if a client hires a freelancer for something that requires the German language and they don't confirm that the freelancer speaks German, ought to reconsider his/her hiring practices.  

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
95 of 123

@Zemi M wrote:

I am not sure how it is in other categories  but I am mostly working on research jobs and Customer Support and similar on the German market and before I was applying on jobs and had competitions from more then 50 freelancers on each job I applied, and the worst pat was that half of them didn't even speak German. Now they are gone.

Before this new system I mostly searched for long term jobs because I was sure the client would take extra time to revive the applicants and I have a real chance but since connects I applied to some jobs (short term 1-2 weeks duration) and I can't believe it but I got them (all because only 10-15 applicants applied and the client had time to revive all of us).

This is exactly what has happened to me. Fewer applicants and they are all qualified for the job. The client has 10 good people to choose from and reviews them all. I'm also getting more jobs now that they they can see  my qualifications and not have to sort through a lot of junk. All of mine are short term because I'm a writer.

Zemi, I am glad to hear it is working for you as well. 

Ace Contributor
Zemi M Member Since: Mar 28, 2014
96 of 123

Bob H Wrote

Plus, if a client hires a freelancer for something that requires the German language and they don't confirm that the freelancer speaks German, ought to reconsider his/her hiring practices.

It was never the problem to be one of the most qualified freelancers but after 50 applicants, how are my chances to get the job?

I mean the client has to revive all this and I am sure after the 10th he will hire the first one who has some qualifications, and if you consider that each freelancer has at least 10 strong freelance competitors and plus this 20-30 scam applications so how are my chances to be even considered. I often had the feeling my application weren't even seen.

I know it's isn't for all of us great, but think about it and write oDesk maybe they can make some changes in your category, by the end, you are the freelancer-in your category,you have to know what will make your work easier and try to suggest it to oDesk.  

who knows maybe your suggestion will rule the new connects system. 

Man Wink

Tsvetelina Z Member Since: Apr 20, 2015
97 of 123

I also like the connect system. Its improving the system and no more **edited for Community Guidelines** spam applicaitons.

Good job odesk

Community Leader
98 of 123

Supposedly, oDesk filters those applicants that aren't qualified.  Maybe oDesk's filters don't work?  If that's the case, they apparently decided to punish people that were qualified and had more opportunities for work than others.  Now, we are all limited until we give oDesk more payola money to get more connects.

I get that it will eliminate bad freelnacers, but it will also eliminate good freelancers.  I guess oDesk has decided to break some eggs when they make their omelette.  

So be it.  Personally, I'm working to take my business elsewhere.  I quite honestly can't do it fast enough.  

oDesk was here before I got here and will be here when I leave.  So be it.

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
99 of 123

@Bob H wrote:

Supposedly, oDesk filters those applicants that aren't qualified.  Maybe oDesk's filters don't work?  If that's the case, they apparently decided to punish people that were qualified and had more opportunities for work than others.  Now, we are all limited until we give oDesk more payola money to get more connects.

I get that it will eliminate bad freelnacers, but it will also eliminate good freelancers.  I guess oDesk has decided to break some eggs when they make their omelette.  

So be it.  Personally, I'm working to take my business elsewhere.  I quite honestly can't do it fast enough.  

oDesk was here before I got here and will be here when I leave.  So be it.

"We" are not all limited. I have used 2 connects all month. I have 58 connects left which is more then enough. Even when I was looking for more work I didn't need more then a few to land a new client. I am not saying some are not limited, but not everyone is.

For some the new connects are plenty to do what they need to do.

Community Leader
100 of 123

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  The way your part time world works and my full tijme world works is different.  The way your job categories work is different than mine.  

The connects "solution" is too generic.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS