cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes in Connect system, when ?

Community Leader
Bob H Member Since: Feb 18, 2009
31 of 123

Yeah, I'm not pleased about that "metric".  Not too mention, oDesk won't share with you how they came to YOUR JS.  It's confidential....of course it is.....it's yours!

Argh.

Ace Contributor
MG Arfath A Member Since: Jul 17, 2010
32 of 123

@Jean S wrote:

I do not have a long term job.

All of mine last a day or two.

I've also used more than 26 connects applying for jobs but I'm being very selective.

As well, it can take anywhere from a few days to a month before I get hired which makes it difficult but in the long run it usually pays off.

You may be an exception madam!

its just too painful to see income levels go down, in my area of web design 30 applications aren't enough 

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
36 of 123

I don't work full time. I work part time due to a disability. I also have 4 other jobs in progress at the moment and if I needed full time I'd simply expand my scope into other areas, of which I have many, and work full time.

Ace Contributor
Arens M Member Since: Mar 15, 2015
36 of 123

I see only 1 job in progress Apr 2015 - Present 
you have done only 3 hrs and earned 50$ 

I don't understand why do you think this connects system is working for you? It looks clear you are not working that much. Please be realistic and let the truth speak.

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
36 of 123

@arens M wrote:

I see only 1 job in progress Apr 2015 - Present 
you have done only 3 hrs and earned 50$ 

I don't understand why do you think this connects system is working for you? It looks clear you are not working that much. Please be realistic and let the truth speak.

Arens,

New jobs take two weeks to show up in ongoing jobs. She may have other jobs not showing in her stats yet. And why do you care if $200 is working for her. She may have other income. Everyone has their own criteria for what is enough.

Community Leader
36 of 123

Suzanne you hit it on the head - "why do you care if $200 is working for her." - EXACTLY - As I have said, this one size fits all solution doesn't work for everyone.  $200 might work for one person, but it doesn't work for EVERYONE.  That is EXACTLY why this connect system is so horrible.

The work you seek may not pay the same as the work someone else seeks.  It may not be for the same duration.  It may not be recurring.

One solution does NOT fit all of the problems that oDesk may or may not have when it comes to how it limits what freelancers can apply to.

I'm glad you finally came around to noticing that everyone does NOT have the same issues with oDesk.

Community Guru
Ian David John E Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
37 of 123

I am one of the biggest connects system critics. I have been monitoring the affects of the  connects system on me. This is my findings.

There are less jobs to apply on oDesk WHY?

Answer! Over half the spammers have gone. Even before connects system over 80% of oDesk jobs just expired without any hiring taking place.

I have 38 connects left out of 70 connects! Looks like  The Connects system is working for me at this time!

I will keep monitoring this as the system is still very new. Really the connects system seems to be a time saver for me. As I don't have to apply for so many jobs to find a real job as there are a lot less spammers in the oDesk system now!

I will keep posting my findings

Community Leader
38 of 123

Ian - You'll have to explain to me, and possibly everyone, how limiting what freelancers can apply to removes bad jobs from the mix right away?  I understand why you think it is happening, but, it wouldn't happen this fast.  It would take some time for bad clients to figure out that no one is applying to their jobs.

Notwithstanding, if oDesk did more to bring wages up for services, clients would be less inclined to post crappy paying jobs.  

Again, as I have said before, one size doesn't fit all.  How many jobs did you apply to on average per month for the last 12 months?  How many did you get on average per month?  What is your success rate?  (THAT would be a great metric oDesk could produce for us)

In my line of work, you have to basically apply to everything you believe you can do well.  And I'm sure that holds true to most specialties.  If you apply to work that you can't do and you do it poorly, you won't be getting any more work because your rating will drop.  That's very simple.  Sure, there are people out here that apply for jobs they won't be able to do well, but with the scoring systems and smarter clients, those poor quality freelancers will go away.  That is how markets work.  If you don't perform, you disappear.  

I'll be interested to hear what you average monthly incomve for the last 12 months was compared to this month.  I hope you win, becasue a lot of people out here are losing.

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
39 of 123

Bob asks:

"You'll have to explain to me, and possibly everyone, how limiting what freelancers can apply to removes bad jobs from the mix right away? "

What we want is to get rid of the spammy junk freelancers.

A few things happen right away. The spam applications stop or diminish as those freelancers will not waste their connects on jobs they know they can't possible get.

They start to apply for jobs they are actually qualified for. Clients will see less junk applications.

By the 15th of the month most of the spammers will be out of connects and unless they have a second account the job spam stops.

The last week of the month is going to be very interesting. Those who are qualified and have the experience will now stand out more ... especially when thirty applications dwindle to 5.

Clients will be less frustrated by the process, and it should speed up their hiring if they are contacted by qualified Odeskers immediately after posting their jobs.

You'll now be competing against people in your field who are as qualified as you and this could result in raising prices or a lowering of prices as people adjust their hourly rate.

Good freelancers will be very choosy in who they choose to work for, which also helps reduce the amount of spammy applications. If I'm faced with a $10 an hour job and a $20 an hour job, I won't be applying to the $10 one.

The more choosy we are, will cause clients to consider paying higher rates in order to get someone who can really do the job for them.

The junk jobs will start to disappear as no one applies to them. Over time it should lead to a more professional marketplace for those of us who desire that.

We will become known as the place to find good professionals and that should bring in an influx of better jobs.

When clients start to realize they won't be faced with a bunch of spam applications when they come to Odesk then we'll all benefit. The junky spammers will start to go to places where they can post and apply to the junk jobs.

Does this make sense?

Ace Contributor
MG Arfath A Member Since: Jul 17, 2010
40 of 123

@Jean S wrote:

Bob asks:

"You'll have to explain to me, and possibly everyone, how limiting what freelancers can apply to removes bad jobs from the mix right away? "

What we want is to get rid of the spammy junk freelancers.

A few things happen right away. The spam applications stop or diminish as those freelancers will not waste their connects on jobs they know they can't possible get.

They start to apply for jobs they are actually qualified for. Clients will see less junk applications.

By the 15th of the month most of the spammers will be out of connects and unless they have a second account the job spam stops.

The last week of the month is going to be very interesting. Those who are qualified and have the experience will now stand out more ... especially when thirty applications dwindle to 5.

Clients will be less frustrated by the process, and it should speed up their hiring if they are contacted by qualified Odeskers immediately after posting their jobs.

You'll now be competing against people in your field who are as qualified as you and this could result in raising prices or a lowering of prices as people adjust their hourly rate.

Good freelancers will be very choosy in who they choose to work for, which also helps reduce the amount of spammy applications. If I'm faced with a $10 an hour job and a $20 an hour job, I won't be applying to the $10 one.

The more choosy we are, will cause clients to consider paying higher rates in order to get someone who can really do the job for them.

The junk jobs will start to disappear as no one applies to them. Over time it should lead to a more professional marketplace for those of us who desire that.

We will become known as the place to find good professionals and that should bring in an influx of better jobs.

When clients start to realize they won't be faced with a bunch of spam applications when they come to Odesk then we'll all benefit. The junky spammers will start to go to places where they can post and apply to the junk jobs.

Does this make sense?

Jean,

oDesk need to do  some programming  to filter out those who bid on everything and anything or those who dont qualify to that particular job,  NO NEED TO  RESTRICT genuine freelancers from  bidding on a job. 

Its not just the spammy clients who will run away from coming here on oDesk even high paying clients will also find it difficult when they see less services providers applying meaning less options for them to choose.

I can explain this in detail but don't have time to do that right now. Thanks

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS