Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes in Connect system, when ?

Community Leader
Bob H Member Since: Feb 18, 2009
41 of 123

No, it doesn't make sense.

What makes sense to me is that I will lose roughly 75% of my income from oDesk.

Firgures never lie and liars always figure.  Show me stats that it's better.  And oDesk will not show anyone any stats.  

Community Leader
42 of 123

By the way, I think you're still calling me a spammer when it doesn't seem to me that you understand how my particular profession works.  Again, I go back to this is a poorly thought out, poorly instituted, knee jerk reaction to something that will never fully be disclosed to us by oDesk.  

The solution, to me, is better systems.  

You wanna talk about great clients?  In my "audio" job search today, there was a job posting, here was the body of the description.  "Audio production"  with an attachment.  What does client want?  How much should I bid?  yadda, yadda, yadda.  Part of the problem is poor clients and oDesk will do nothing to address that, that I can see.  

Smiley Sad

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
43 of 123

If I wanted to work full time I would simply go back to expanding the type of work I do. I can wear many hats if I choose and it's what I've done in the past to make a full time income.

When I first started with Odesk 6 years ago I was living in Mexico and NEEDED the money. So I did many things to get to that point.

Now I'm retired with a pension and disabled and can't work full time. I had to adapt to my situation.

I think in order to be "FULL TIME" you have to be very versitile and not limit yourself to only one area of expertise. Of course this may not work for everyone.

Some people will use all their connects in one month and possible end up with 3-4 long term jobs and may not need to use connects again for months.

Others who limit their job scope will have a difficult time and probably be in trouble unless they use many different freelance sites to get as many jobs as possible...short term. Adapt or die.

Those who work part time will most likely be fine. I see it as we all have to adapt as this is NOT GOING AWAY.

It's a done deal and it's working on Elance so expect no changes.

Adapt or die will need to be the motto unfortunately.

Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
44 of 123

Kudos Jean! "Adapt or die will need to be the motto...." That's about the most accurate statement I have seen in the Community thus far. Actually, it applies more than ever before regarding freelancers and independent contractors working on anything, anywhere, and via any medium -- oDesk or otherwise.

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
45 of 123

A very interesting discussion happening here. I believe both sides of the argument have merits to them. Also as indicated some job categories are impacted more than others. There are positives in some areas but short term low paying jobs (by nature, not stingy clients) are suffering from this new system.

I am only part part time, so I am not really affected. But I wonder if I was to go full time (or when) if I would be able to manage under the current system. I am a bit doubtful. Nevertheless, I think the system is here to stay, with maybe a few tweaks, so we have to find ourselves on the positive side of the line somehow.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
46 of 123

Here is an excellent example of what I'm talking about.

There is a job posting for a Native English Writer

It is a fixed price job by a verified client. $7 per article is the pay.

The job was posted 4 hours ago.

It used to be that after 4 hours of exposure I would expect to see 10-20 applicants to be showing.

So far in 4 hours there is 1 aplicant.

SECOND JOB

This one is for a  hourly writer for a blog. Entry Level Verified Client

After 16 hours of exposure he has 10 applicants.

Where did the normal 40-50 applicants go?

Ace Contributor
MG Arfath A Member Since: Jul 17, 2010
47 of 123

@Jean S wrote:

Here is an excellent example of what I'm talking about.

There is a job posting for a Native English Writer

It is a fixed price job by a verified client. $7 per article is the pay.

The job was posted 4 hours ago.

It used to be that after 4 hours of exposure I would expect to see 10-20 applicants to be showing.

So far in 4 hours there is 1 aplicant.

SECOND JOB

This one is for a  hourly writer for a blog. Entry Level Verified Client

After 16 hours of exposure he has 10 applicants.

Where did the normal 40-50 applicants go?

Well those 40-50 didn't applied becoz they don't have enough 'connects' in thier kitty  :-) that does't mean all those 40 to 50 were 'spammers', I'm going to say this again and again oDesk needs to do some programming to reject the applications of those who bid on jobs for which they don't qualify. No need to restrict genuine freelancers from applying to a job. Period.

Community Guru
Iftikhar I Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
48 of 123

I am totally  agree with MG The freelancers dont have connects or they are saving them becuase there are still 12 days to go.As Jean said in 4 hours there is 1 applicant so with this situation should a client have to suffer and wait for hours for the applicants to apply on his job post  or client has to go with that 1 applicant even if he is not what he is looking for.May be the client get disapointed with this that there is no applicants to choose from.

Hope it helps.

Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
49 of 123

In the long-run, it is not the clients that will suffer. It is the...lower skilled freelancers that use the "shotgun" [spam?] approach to bidding on jobs that will likely suffer.

Among my various fields of work, since the release of the "Connects" system, I am seeing about 20 applicants instead of over 100 applicants for the same types of jobs I am typically interested in.

As a result, clients are less likely to hire lower skilled freelancers just because they have submitted the lowest bid prices. Aside from the clients, who knows which freelancers are in the so-called recommended list?

As an example, since Connects were introduced, I had bid on a job where there were less than 10 bids (now 14). As part of our interview, the client wrote in part regarding previous experience (before Connects) on oDesk: "....a nightmare and I learned my lesson about paying for quality...." The client had previously been reviewing 50 or more applicants for every job posted. Now, instead of paying lower fixed prices, that client is considering paying $54 dollars per hour inclusive of oDesk fees.

Community Leader
50 of 123

Ron, I'm suffering right now.  I have been behind a microphone for 30 years.  I'm probably one of the more skilled idvidiuals that dwell in this realm.  Unfortunatley, I don't have a voice for Hollywood, or I'd be there.  So, I'm stuck here in the oDesk world...where if everyone were as good as real world employees, we wouldn't be freelancing and that's a fact.

I have a 5 star rating because every job that I apply to I know I can provide 5 star service.  If I can't, I don't apply.  That being said, to make money in the particular market, I have to apply to a lot of jobs.  

The secret to getting hired has always been be first and be great.  Most clients probably don't ever look at 20% of their applicants.

As far as a client figuring out that you get what you pay for, it should take oDesk to demonstrate that to someone.  That's a golden rule.  Price vs. Cost.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS