cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes in Connect system, when ?

Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
51 of 123

Hi Bob! Being on oDesk is not so bad. It was a lot better years ago (around 2011 thru 2013), and will probably get better in the future.

I have written in the Community before where it might be a good idea to work a day-job (work onsite) in addition to working freelance via oDesk. That's what I do now.

In addition, I work as an "independent contractor" (to me, that's not the same thing as a "freelancer") via a conventional, brick-and-mortar employment agency with a Web presence that connects clients with professional and executive independent contractors....

Career changes? Been there, done that. After an honorable discharge from the USMC, I worked in blue-collar (union) trades, from there white-collar quality assurance, then white-collar information technology, and finally freelancing. My point is that changing careers can sometimes be a good thing, and working in multiple fields is always best -- safer in the long-run.

BTW -- I have met a lot of excellent freelancers here on oDesk. Also, in Quality Assurance at the executive level the true definition of "quality" is "cost."

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
52 of 123

@Iftikhar I wrote:

I am totally  agree with MG The freelancers dont have connects or they are saving them becuase there are still 12 days to go.As Jean said in 4 hours there is 1 applicant so with this situation should a client have to suffer and wait for hours for the applicants to apply on his job post  or client has to go with that 1 applicant even if he is not what he is looking for.May be the client get disapointed with this that there is no applicants to choose from.

Hope it helps.

Clients have the option to do invites, perhaps if they don't have enough applications, they will spend time looking at available freelancers and invite them to the job. Which would give them a choice of best suited for the job.

I don't see a cleint is suffering unless he has an immediate job waiting for a few days to find the right applicant. Many of the jobs take several days, sometimes weeks to hire someone.

Ace Contributor
MG Arfath A Member Since: Jul 17, 2010
53 of 123

@Iftikhar I wrote:

I am totally  agree with MG The freelancers dont have connects or they are saving them becuase there are still 12 days to go.As Jean said in 4 hours there is 1 applicant so with this situation should a client have to suffer and wait for hours for the applicants to apply on his job post  or client has to go with that 1 applicant even if he is not what he is looking for.May be the client get disapointed with this that there is no applicants to choose from.

Hope it helps.

Thanks iftikhar !!

Community Guru
54 of 123

@MG Arfath A wrote:

@Jean S wrote:

Here is an excellent example of what I'm talking about.

There is a job posting for a Native English Writer

It is a fixed price job by a verified client. $7 per article is the pay.

The job was posted 4 hours ago.

It used to be that after 4 hours of exposure I would expect to see 10-20 applicants to be showing.

So far in 4 hours there is 1 aplicant.

SECOND JOB

This one is for a  hourly writer for a blog. Entry Level Verified Client

After 16 hours of exposure he has 10 applicants.

Where did the normal 40-50 applicants go?

Well those 40-50 didn't applied becoz they don't have enough 'connects' in thier kitty  :-) that does't mean all those 40 to 50 were 'spammers', I'm going to say this again and again oDesk needs to do some programming to reject the applications of those who bid on jobs for which they don't qualify. No need to restrict genuine freelancers from applying to a job. Period.

oDesk has done something to hide those who are not qualified. Have you not read the threads on the hidden applications. If you don't have the qualifications, connects or not your application is hidden. There has been thread after thread on this.

They also have not limited you to the 60 connects, you have the option to buy more connects, so it is not like you are stuck. You also have an option to look on other freelance sites. There are hundreds out there.

Jean,

Full time can work and doesn't have to be limited but it is going to be more in fields like the Admin and Customer Service that are full time.

I work full time and have for two years on oDesk. I recently had enough hours to be open for one more client which it took some time to find the right one but I have 3 clients which totals full time hours.

Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
55 of 123

SN, a bit bold...lol...but "spot on"!

BTW -- Although there might be hundreds of other freelance sites out there, I honestly believe that oDesk WAS the best and WILL BE the best out of all of them. OK, so there's a slight gap between being the best and becoming the best.

Actually, as part of my retirement planning, I am closing all of my accounts on other freelance sites except for one -- oDesk. Of course, using a conventional employment agency for professionals and executives is currently my best option.

Ace Contributor
56 of 123

@Suzanne N wrote:

@MG Arfath A wrote:

@Jean S wrote:

Here is an excellent example of what I'm talking about.

There is a job posting for a Native English Writer

It is a fixed price job by a verified client. $7 per article is the pay.

The job was posted 4 hours ago.

It used to be that after 4 hours of exposure I would expect to see 10-20 applicants to be showing.

So far in 4 hours there is 1 aplicant.

SECOND JOB

This one is for a  hourly writer for a blog. Entry Level Verified Client

After 16 hours of exposure he has 10 applicants.

Where did the normal 40-50 applicants go?

Well those 40-50 didn't applied becoz they don't have enough 'connects' in thier kitty  :-) that does't mean all those 40 to 50 were 'spammers', I'm going to say this again and again oDesk needs to do some programming to reject the applications of those who bid on jobs for which they don't qualify. No need to restrict genuine freelancers from applying to a job. Period.

oDesk has done something to hide those who are not qualified. Have you not read the threads on the hidden applications. If you don't have the qualifications, connects or not your application is hidden. There has been thread after thread on this.

They also have not limited you to the 60 connects, you have the option to buy more connects, so it is not like you are stuck. You also have an option to look on other freelance sites. There are hundreds out there.

Jean,

Full time can work and doesn't have to be limited but it is going to be more in fields like the Admin and Customer Service that are full time.

I work full time and have for two years on oDesk. I recently had enough hours to be open for one more client which it took some time to find the right one but I have 3 clients which totals full time hours.

The 'hidden' feature you are talking about is just a poor cousin of what I'm referring to, its a half baked effort to stop unwanted applicants applying on a job, should I tell you its shortcomings, those who apply never get notified that thier application has been hidden, that makes even qualified freelancer worry thinking if thier application is visible to the client or not.

I want more robust and more flexible program than the one that is active right now to stop those ineligible freelancers from applying. remember always healthy competiton is good, those who want less competition (less freelancers applying) so that they can win jobs don't have trust in thier capabilities or skill !!!!!

Right they are offering more connects  but at what cost ??? $2 for just 1 job application, for just one chance, for just one shot at a job ??? what is this ???? If you are aware of this oDesk right now charges 10% fee from what we earn and besides that we now have to pay for extra connects, oDesk has even surpassed elance, in elance i think the job comission is 8.75% something , here its 10%, on elance it takes only 1 connect for most jobs to apply, in elance you can edit your job applications after you have sent it, on Elance almost all the clients hire for jobs they have posted, on oDesk this doens't happen. oDesk right now is making more money from freelancers than elance or anyother competitor.

See I have worked 4 years on oDesk and built a profile here, its not that easy to go on other websites and start all over again, you may start but you may not generate enough income for more than 6 months if you are newbie, your first month will be spent on searching that elusive 'first job'.

What I want oDesk to do is to make this present system more freelancer friendly, only a handful people are happy with this connect, I dare say it only 10% who have posted here on these forums are happy remaining 90% are unhappy with connects, look at all these posts each day.

Community Guru
57 of 123

MG Arfath A 

I never said the solutions were the best. You stated you wanted oDesk to do something to filter those applicants. I stated they are filtering them. 

You also said you had no choices. I gave you choices.

As far as 90% of the people are unhappy, that would be hard for you to actually estimate considering only a handful of  people post on the forum.

You would also need to tabulate clients in the numbers, which I have seen very few clients post about the issue.

I don't believe oDesk is going to change anything on the connect system until it has the length of time to analyse how it is working. And one month of people in the forum complaining is not enough to justify them trashing a program they want to implement.

I am sorry it is not working for some. I suggest those it is not working look at ways they can use the connects to benefit. Perhaps looking at the trends on when most jobs get posted and saving some money to get by on the lean months. 

I keep back up money, because being self employed can have months I don't make as much. I do Customer Service for one client and there are trends even during the month that people spend and call in for support. 

I don't know the answer for you as the current new system does not affect me as I do long term jobs, but I have done short term work in the past for myself at home and there are months it is slower then other months and I had to look at alternatives. 

Ace Contributor
58 of 123

@Suzanne N wrote:

MG Arfath A 

I never said the solutions were the best. You stated you wanted oDesk to do something to filter those applicants. I stated they are filtering them. 

You also said you had no choices. I gave you choices.

As far as 90% of the people are unhappy, that would be hard for you to actually estimate considering only a handful of  people post on the forum.

People here making a lot of hullabaloo about 'spam' freelancers thats why I suggested those measures, I didn't suggested filtering at first instance. if there is a filter like that then why do i still read about 'spam' freelancers ???

Please qoute me I never said there is no choice or I don't have choice? not sure who's post you read and you thought that its me :-)

The 90% i'm referring to is not the total freelancers who work on oDesk, its the figure of total freelancers who have written posts about this 'connects' topic, majority of those who have written posts on connects here are unhappy, I never said 90% of oDeskers are unhappy. You got me wrong again.

I just want a few tweaks to this system to suit us more thats it, thanks for posting here !!

Community Guru
Iftikhar I Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
59 of 123

Suzanne N

oDesk has done something to hide those who are not qualified.

Can you please define about  qualified and unqualified candidates?

As I see Autohide is somthing similar the old option Good Fit  which Odesk remove bucause it has bug or some alogrithmic failure.I have'nt read the thread you are talking about may be because i am new here but i just search on and find a second comment on autohide i think its a client saying.

I suggested to ODesk that they might want to check if their algorithm programmer/s is/are Dsylexic! I found the best candidates in the "Auto-Hidden" page!

With this said you can define qualified freelancers but did the system can?With the good fit I never see a badge on the job from my catagory where i was fully good fit so why the system did not see if i am good fit.

By the way I am still seening Good fit bage on my job I was hired before Good fit came in

So how can i trust autohide and now with the connects system only the qualified freelancers will apply because they dont want to burn their precius connects on a job they are not qualified so why there is still resistance of autohide option.The client is saying I found the best candidates in Auto Hidden page so what you call this?

Last week i applied to the job which i was 99% sure that i will get hired but i did not may be i was in trash or hidden.Ok you can say the client can still see the hidden folder but why he will look in that folder he know there will be unqialified candidates.

I have request Odesk in other thread they just inform client that they still can check hidden folder may the find some professionals there as well.

About the clients invites yes they have option to search.There are clients who hardly post a job how they can find the freelancers they are looking for.I saw many jobs on my catagory which clients post in some other catagory which are not related to the work they are expecting.I also see some clients who need 3d work but inviting 10 freelancers from 2d of just graphics and as i see only 1 or two who response.

Before there were 50 applicants on a post the client choose the best fit for him.Now there are 5 applicants to choose from and what if they are newbies?

Thanks 

Community Guru
60 of 123

Iftikhar I 

Please see my previous post. I don't want to get into the discussion of the autohide feature. The only reason I brought it up is that the previous poster said he wanted to see something done about screening applicants. I no way condone it, although I have never been hidden so I have no idea if it is good or bad.

As far as good fit are you sure you are not seeing the Guarantee on the job instead ot the good fit? I know they did not remove the ones with the money back guarantee which was implemented on some.

I am not happy with everything that oDesk has done, but I can't do anything to change it by complaining. I found a long time ago complaining about something never got anything fixed. Making suggestions was much more constructive or shutting my mouth entirely (which I don't do a good job at) Smiley Tongue

I am not stating anything I posted was a good  idea. Only what oDesk has done.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS