Changes in Connect system, when ?

Ace Contributor
Zubair J Member Since: Apr 6, 2015
61 of 123

Hi Jean,

It is not like that, Here is a job post for :

Grapic Designer Wanted for LOGO US AND CANADA ONLY

Budget $300, in just 45 minutes there 10 applications 

You will find less applications only for unverified clients or smaller jobs. For jobs above than $100 you will find more than 18-20 application and the majority of the applicants are experienced or top rated. 

Restricting freelancers should only restrict the business for both freelancers and for oDesk as well, and even if you are selective for applying to the jobs there are lots of top rated guys who will apply to same job and chances for getting hired is very low now.

oDesk have to do some kind of voting for this system to know what the majority of the freelancers think about it

Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
62 of 123

Question: Are "the majority of the freelancers" also the one's that have caused most of the problems on this platform e.g., increase in support issues, client disputes resulting in good clients going elsewhere, etc.? Of course, I don't know the real answer to that question myself.

ADDED: In my original post here I should have acknowledged that it could as well been the "minority" that caused the bulk of the problems. Sorry! Considering both sides is what is important in a democracy -- no matter the context in which the word "democracy" is used.

Remember that we are on an international platform where "translations" (word use, sentence structure, etc.) could affect the outcomes from our discussions.

Ace Contributor
MG Arfath A Member Since: Jul 17, 2010
63 of 123

@Ronald T wrote:

Question: Are "the majority of the freelancers" also the one's that have caused most of the problems on this platform e.g., increase in support issues, client disputes resulting in good clients going elsewhere, etc.? Of course, I don't know the real answer to that question myself.

We are in a democracy so majority decision counts here......Well those have caused most the problems on this platform e.g., increase in support issues, client disputes resulting in good clients going elsewhere, etc.? Could be from the 'Minority' too, you need to have facts to question the majority rather than just your own assumptions !!!

Hope that helps

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
64 of 123

@MG Arfath A wrote:

We are in a democracy so majority decision counts here......Well those have caused most the problems on this platform e.g., increase in support issues, client disputes resulting in good clients going elsewhere, etc.? Could be from the 'Minority' too, you need to have facts to question the majority rather than just your own assumptions !!!

Hope that helps

We are not in a democracy here. oDesk is not a democracy. It is a private business. They have the right to do whatever they choose with their business. That is the great part about "Democracy" a business can do what they like with their business as long as it is not illegal.

Community Guru
Ian David John E Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
65 of 123

Well said Suzanne! I just wanted to add we can leave if we want too! No one is forcing us to stay......

Ace Contributor
66 of 123

@Suzanne N wrote:

@MG Arfath A wrote:

Hope that helps

We are not in a democracy here. oDesk is not a democracy. It is a private business. They have the right to do whatever they choose with their business. That is the great part about "Democracy" a business can do what they like with their business as long as it is not illegal.

I was referring to the present global scenario when I said 'we are in  a democracy' i never meant to say or Never said  that oDesk is democratic system, ofcourse its a private company but they cannot ignore the opinion given by 'majority' of the freelancers here but Yes they can simply choose to ignore it. I hope I made it clear now!!

When I said majority decision counts that means majority of freelancers here unhappy on this forum about the  connects becuase some people here were saying that many of them are happy with connects, I just wanted to prove that majority are unhappy you can read the number of posts here to draw your own conclusion. 

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
67 of 123

@MG Arfath A wrote:

I was referring to the present global scenario when I said 'we are in  a democracy' i never meant to say or Never said  that oDesk is democratic system, ofcourse its a private company but they cannot ignore the opinion given by 'majority' of the freelancers here but Yes they can simply choose to ignore it. I hope I made it clear now!!

When I said majority decision counts that means majority of freelancers here unhappy on this forum about the  connects becuase some people here were saying that many of them are happy with connects, I just wanted to prove that majority are unhappy you can read the number of posts here to draw your own conclusion. 

But majority again I will ask if you go back a few pages, you can't say that those posting in the forum are a majority. oDesk has 1000's if not more freelancers. A handful post in the forum, so you assume because the majority in the forum are unhappy that others are unhappy.

I have had forums and sites and have found that the majority that post in forums are not the majority generally that are unhappy with something. Generally those unhappy with something are the loudest.

But you are assuming because of the posts in the forum the mojority are those speaking out. But the fact is the forum posters are a handful of people. There are many people who say nothing at all or don't post in forums.

Ace Contributor
68 of 123

@Suzanne N wrote:

But majority again I will ask if you go back a few pages, you can't say that those posting in the forum are a majority. oDesk has 1000's if not more freelancers. A handful post in the forum, so you assume because the majority in the forum are unhappy that others are unhappy.

I have had forums and sites and have found that the majority that post in forums are not the majority generally that are unhappy with something. Generally those unhappy with something are the loudest.

But you are assuming because of the posts in the forum the mojority are those speaking out. But the fact is the forum posters are a handful of people. There are many people who say nothing at all or don't post in forums.

I never assumed that a majority of oDeskers are unhappy based on the posts made by the freelancers here about the 'connects' system. Please you are totally getting wrong message from my posts. All I wanted to say is majority of those who are posting here about connects system are unhappy and I'm sure oDesk would look into the feedback given by them, I hope I have made it clear now !!!

Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
69 of 123

Hi MG! You are definitely correct, The "minority" could well be the cause of the bulk of the problems on this platform. Regarding my own question, like I said, I don't know the real answer to that question myself.

MG and others do make a lot of good points, they stand up for what they believe, and that is to be respected. Maybe this is one of those senarios where we all "agree to disagree"? (Ref.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agree_to_disagree). The Wikipedia article could have been more polite about it; however, it was the best I could find at the moment.

Ace Contributor
70 of 123

@Ronald T wrote:

Hi MG! You are definitely correct, The "minority" could well be the cause of the bulk of the problems on this platform. Regarding my own question, like I said, I don't know the real answer to that question myself.

MG and others do make a lot of good points, they stand up for what they believe, and that is to be respected. Maybe this is one of those senarios where we all "agree to disagree"? (Ref.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agree_to_disagree). The Wikipedia article could have been more polite about it; however, it was the best I could find at the moment.

Thanks Ronald  !!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS